The Baines / Oviedo Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToffeeTownMilto

Player Valuation: £8m
Before his injury, Oviedo was immense filling in for the injured Baines. So much so, that some people question whether we actually played our best football with Oviedo at left back.

Next season when he's fit, it's hard to see Oviedo displacing Baines for that left back spot, but then it's hard to think Oviedo won't stake a claim to a place in the starting XI.

Thus, are we thinking that there really is a big chance that Barry won't be here next season and we'll see Baines moved to the middle of the park with McCarthy, with Oviedo slipping in to that left back position?

For me play both together,like we did sometimes,oviedo in place of pienaar-worked pretty well from what i remember

Oviedo is a good player with a fantastic attitude and desire but Baines is easily one if the best leftbacks in the world you don't move a worldclass leftback just because his understudy is a good player. What it gives us though is the option to rest Baines and lesser games on what will hopefully be a busy, long and successful season.

I think with the amount of games we could possibly play next season, Oviedo could play in the Europa League ( against lesser teams ) and the League cup, with a few F.A. Cup and league games thrown in. Give Bainsey much needed rest, plus also it'll keep him on his toes knowing Oviedo is a valuable replacement for Baines especially if his form dips.

I've said it before, since we DID play even better with oviedo, who is younger and could give 10 years to the club, why not sell baines to provide great funds for summer, and buy a left sided cb for example martins indi who can cover there and let garbutt play Europa. And we would have good money left for other positions. Strong view I know but it could be best thing, look at mata for example with chelsea when he got sold

I've said it before, since we DID play even better with oviedo, who is younger and could give 10 years to the club, why not sell baines to provide great funds for summer, and buy a left sided cb for example martins indi who can cover there and let garbutt play Europa. And we would have good money left for other positions. Strong view I know but it could be best thing, look at mata for example with chelsea when he got sold

No thanks

Probably because Baines is our best player, even when he's not playing his best he is still quality most weeks.

Have you watched Martins Indi much mate? I doubt it, hes not that great imo.

Baines wont fetch anywhere near his worth to us anyway, not like a team will pay £20m+ at his age.

Think there'll be a lot of rotation, might mean baines playing Dm at times with oviedo at LB or bryan on the wing when baines is LB, thing with oviedo is he can play many positions, in the game he did his leg he was on the right wing and looked really good

Europa. League.

Just think of it as we've got 2 boss left backs when we're looking to play something daft like 50 games over the season.

The option of Baines playing defensive mid should be explored in pre season, but we can't forget that we spent years arguing that Baines is the best left back in Europe, which he is. So Baines is way ahead of Oviedo in my book.

Football is a squad Game. Oviedo can play LM. Baines may play at CM more. Martinez uses the squad more than Moyes did.

When Baines came back from injury, Oviedo played at LM up until he got injured. He played a lot better at LB in my opinion but I think Martinez sees him as someone who can play LM as well as LB when Baines needs a rest. We also have Luke Garbutt who will be keen to stake his claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.