Talking about our Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5 Gs: Get it, Give it, Go, Get it back, Give it, repeat as required.
Short Version: score more than you concede
Even shorter version: WIN.
Sorted

Edit; Football is a simple kids game, overcomplicted by over thinking

thought that mind end this thread.

You played professionally?
No, I played county level but I did my coaching badges in the 90s. They'll be out of date now but the basic principles still apply. You don't need to have played pro to have a good understanding of how the game is played you know. It is a simple sport made complicated.

When I was doing my badges, we were told most footballers were thick as mince so you had to explain clear and concise and not overload instruction. I think that still applies in a lot of cases today.

It looks as though the Premier League clubs are more enthusiastic about data than fans.

'Big Data is the future of football, Sevilla's sporting director Monchi said in 2019. 'Lately, more than scouts, we have started looking for engineers, mathematicians, physicists and experts in statistics or algorithms.'

Worth a read.

Thanks...I think
I'm not really bothered about how sophisticated by contributions are - I'm not looking for a coaching job, just would like to talk more
Basically mate 'tactics' and 'formation' don't really matter, they're just the Song Title on the piece of music
Then you have the musical notes - the bare bones of the tune...its in a certain key (formation)
What the players do...or should try to do is improvise around the theme of the tactics they change the tempo, speed it up, slow it down, pass it about
City do it up to a point; they ping it about instinctively, pass the basic tune (or ball) around, with out seemingly looking ( my "give it" of the previous post) they know where then other player should be....and the other player knows where he should be ( he is the move in 'pass and move' and the 'get it' in the give it, get it, go)
Davies Coltrane Parker = Ball, Kendall, Harvey.

Listen to this - Miles Davies starts it off, passes it to Coltrane about 55secs, who improvises it all over the show, seamlessly throws in 4 or 4 little bits of other tunes, fascinating rhythm to name but 1.
Then - at about 1min55, he gives Davies back the same couple of notes Davies left him with at 55sec.
2 Maestros supported by hard workers on piano, drums and bass...(Husband Royle and Morrissey??)

Anyway, despite my early post of the 3,4,5 Gs, tactics is mainly (rhymes with) Rowlocks...skill, improvisation, the unexpected, elan...GLORY!

You make the pass and move, the give and go sound so complicated, kin geometry lol wtaf. We used to say make an angle to receive the ball all you lot have done is complicate the uncomplicated.
It sounds complicated, but it's not, really.

Without the math, you can have a solid, intuitive understanding of what's going on. See: Xavi. Our brains will do all the calculus on the fly, which is really amazing if you stop and think about it. I think Clarke is the guy that explained that one to me.

If we really want to understand it down to the last detail, we need the math. Engineers go to all that bother because they need to build planes that don't crash and buildings that don't collapse. They can't afford mistakes.

All I'm saying is that, sooner or later, someone is going to bring that level of precision to football, and they'll profit for a while by it.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, really.

Without the math, you can have a solid, intuitive understanding of what's going on. See: Xavi. Our brains will do all the calculus on the fly, which is really amazing if you stop and think about it. I think Clarke is the guy that explained that one to me.

If we really want to understand it down to the last detail, we need the math. Engineers go to all that bother because they need to build planes that don't crash and buildings that don't collapse. They can't afford mistakes.

All I'm saying is that, sooner or later, someone is going to bring that level of precision to football, and they'll profit for a while by it.
I get clubs are willing to do anything possible to win games before a ball is kicked but there are so many variables in football. Something as daft as the wind could derail any game plan on any given day.

The state of a pitch is often complained about(us that watched in the 80s laugh at this all the time, they played on bogs in them days) the grass length can affect passing. Injuries to players, those who aren't Delph and want to play at all costs can withhold injury information. The list goes on. It isn't an exact science.

Form as well, you can't account for form and confidence there is no way to do that. Too many variables for engineers who like precision.

I get clubs are willing to do anything possible to win games before a ball is kicked but there are so many variables in football. Something as daft as the wind could derail any game plan on any given day.

The state of a pitch is often complained about(us that watched in the 80s laugh at this all the time, they played on bogs in them days) the grass length can affect passing. Injuries to players, those who aren't Delph and want to play at all costs can withhold injury information. The list goes on. It isn't an exact science.

Form as well, you can't account for form and confidence there is no way to do that. Too many variables for engineers who like precision.

All true. That said, we can always get closer to Truth.

The stats are a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. End of the day, you're correct that the outcome is a series of judgment calls on the pitch by the manager and players.

The stats are just there to help them find some of the more counterintuitive judgment calls that work.

All true. That said, we can always get closer to Truth.

The stats are a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. End of the day, you're correct that the outcome is a series of judgment calls on the pitch by the manager and players.

The stats are just there to help them find some of the more counterintuitive judgment calls that work.
They can be a useful tool for clubs, I won't argue that, it can give you a marker to work from obviously. Not sure fans really needed to start delving into all the more intricate stuff though, can't really say knowing a games xG(an example)contributes anything to result or discussion after the fact. Like anything if used correctly they're useful but some situations not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.