Tactical Analysis Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said, it’s all about consistency now. One thing we did really well over the break was bring in footballers. Onana, McNeil, Coady, Tark, Garner & Gueye are all confident on the ball. While Iwobi & DCL are clearly still our most important players, the new signings should work well with them.

Yes, I did think our attacking players were too isolated against Newcastle and Spurs. Against Man Utd, our passing didn't work although players were still forming triangles to support. Triangles are some what of basic in support play - although, it is difficult to get it right sometimes. Actually if you observe earlier games, our attack play has some triangles but it's against CP that is works. There is a slight change of personnel and tactics that make it work.

Another tactic I noticed against CP was the bait and switch. In 1st half, we were overloading the left side and then switch of play to the right for a 1v1.

But an unpopular opinion - I don't think we are able to recreate such performance on consistent basis yet just because this team is still new and the FL project is still at the beginning. We need to either improve certain players or add on quality to our squad. And Everton has the habit of raising our hopes. So, I dare not hope yet lol But I think we should still be patient even when sometimes, things just don't work out in certain games.

Good points mate, did the tactical changes with with Iwobi at 10, Onana at 6 and the inclusion of DCL enable.

The switch was notable - good spot the second goal in an example.

The other thing i notices was quick one touch football and quick transition through the lines, we have been guilty in the past of taking to many touches and ponderously trying to play it through the lines at a snails pace.

Having a capable CF to hit in the air means the CB's cant step off and so easily cover the LB/RB.

What that means is their LB/RB can push up against our wide players and rely on cover from the CB's in case of a knock past or clever wide through ball.

Where we are coming unstuck (besides no Lewin) is quick sharp midfield play taking our solidity in the middle to pieces and then its all runs at our CB's. Thankfully it doesn't and wont happen a lot. But individual mistakes will see us turned around and punished. So concentration there is the premium.

The second goal is a case in point there mate, DCL enables the overload, we flood the right Channel and Myko in acres when we switch.

Good point on passing through the midfield, we were talking about this last night - we have a high shots conceded % - despite being immensely more solid at the back, there is a pocket of space between the midfield and defence where we look vulnerable and teams can find joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.