Summer transfer window 2023

In normal (not horrorshow Everton circumstances) we should be looking to move players on who are Pickford's age for good fees. I just don't think we can do it now. Get rid of any more of our few good players and we significantly improve our chances of relegation and, let's face it, we have massively got away with it the last two years.

I think you've got this the wrong way around.

Move him on and bring in 2 players who are greater than the benefit of keeping him.

We need a star upfront (or two). Similar to when we went out and got Richarlison. Like we did with Lukaku before that and then Yakubu before that.

We need a player that can carry the attacking threat for the team and lift the rest of the squad.

I wouldn’t be adverse to going to some of those young City attacking players who are not going to see the first team with Haaland Alvarez etc. there and see if they can be tempted by regular first team football.

Same with the lads at Chelsea and Arsenal. Could we get one of Broja Marquinhos Balogun etc. Even Nketiah if he’s going to find himself behind Jesus Trossard and any other new striker they buy.

We need to be going to any top young talent who isn’t playing and seeing which of them would swap that position for practically guaranteed first team PL football every week for a team with a track record of getting attacking players big moves.

This is the right idea.

That’s a great plan A but if we know of these, then other teams will so it would be a competitive environment. I think we have tried this in drips and drabs in previous summers. If Plan A doesn’t work we appear to be stumped. The question is what is the transfer strategy is plan A does not work. How do we then reset and go to plan B and what does plan B look like in terms of player profile.

When did the club ever do this?

Signing back-up keepers is a nightmare to be fair. You can't really go for a young prospect as they're just wasted on the bench, you can't entice a number 1 to be a 2, so they have to usually be people like 32+ who have a history of it.

It really is as simple as: we have to find a way to get goals in, or we're probably down. If we can do that without gutting the decent defense we had, we're comfortably up.

The debate is about how to best accomplish both of those objectives, and the relative value of the potential tradeoffs.

When did the club ever do this?
We went for Richarlison and signed him….there were rumours (admittedly only reported) of the South American kid that went to Real Madrid). Kudus was 22 and not getting first team action we were reportedly interested in him. Lukaku was not getting first team action and was young but we managed to snag him. More recently Garner - young, not getting regular first team action with his parent club. This has been incredibly infrequent and I am not isolating it to just examples of people not getting First team action, but generally younger players with upside, so we have done it in previous seasons just not on a consistent basis. Its what we then do, if our main strategy does not work.

We went for Richarlison and signed him….there were rumours (admittedly only reported) of the South American kid that went to Real Madrid). Kudus was 22 and not getting first team action we were reportedly interested in him. Lukaku was not getting first team action and was young but we managed to snag him. More recently Garner - young, not getting regular first team action with his parent club. This has been incredibly infrequent and I am not isolating it to just examples of people not getting First team action, but generally younger players with upside, so we have done it in previous seasons just not on a consistent basis. Its what we then do, if our main strategy does not work.

Lots of people said we’d never get Lukaku at the time, either on loan or permanently but he wanted to play football. We need a signing of that sort of ambition upfront again.

An attacking star or two can completely transform a team. Even these players showed that they could keep clean sheets when ahead in games, and also come back when one down. Imagine some of those games where we might have scored a second to make it comfortable, or scored first v Villa, Fulham, Leicester, Wolves etc. turning them into wins. It spreads confidence throughout the entire team.

I think you've got this the wrong way around.

Move him on and bring in 2 players who are greater than the benefit of keeping him.

This is the right idea.
Again, in normal circumstances. Our squad is diabolical, as a result of recruitment that is beyond shocking. We will be fighting relegation again. The teams that went down all had average or poor GKs - same as last year. People underestimate the difference a good GK makes at the business ends of the table. You can only really get away with average GKs if you are a comfortable mid-table team. Even if we have better recruitment than usual this summer, there is no guarantee that will be the case for us. Would be mad to move Pickford on in our current state.

Generally I agree with you - we've had enough conversations to that effect on here - I want young talent acquired from across the world. But part of realising where we are should not be getting in established players who are 26 plus (something I'm sure Dyche will be pushing for), but rather, trying to keep hold of the few good players we have.

In Pickford's case, if he has another good season, he will still have suitors next summer. If we have gone some way to sorting out the rest of the squad and have finished comfortably in mid-table, we could look to move him on and invest then. If we sell him and look to get a really good GK to replace him this summer, a huge chunk of the cash generated would have to go on his replacement. What's the point?

No keepers are perfect, the dis advantages have to be balanced against the advantages.

Me at times think back to Gordon West, Andy Rankin and of course Big Nev.

Apart from Courtois, Oblak, maybe Ter Stegen, I don’t see many absolutely top class keepers around. It shows at international level as well with the best keepers at recent tournaments being Pickford and Livakovic who aren’t at top clubs.

Even in the prem when you look at Lloris Kepa Mendy De Gea Ramsdale they’re poor keepers who make lots of errors. I don’t rate Allison and Ederson that highly either, the former making far too many errors and is awful with his feet but has the most favourable media reporting of any keeper, and the latter being a terrible shot stopper who had the luxury of barely facing any shots.

We’d have to be very astute with our scouting to find the next up and coming keeper because the top clubs with unlimited budgets can’t seem to find decent ones. We have a very good keeper, better than most of the names there and on the rung just below the very top tier of Courtois and Oblak.

Lots of people said we’d never get Lukaku at the time, either on loan or permanently but he wanted to play football. We need a signing of that sort of ambition upfront again.

An attacking star or two can completely transform a team. Even these players showed that they could keep clean sheets when ahead in games, and also come back when one down. Imagine some of those games where we might have scored a second to make it comfortable, or scored first v Villa, Fulham, Leicester, Wolves etc. turning them into wins. It spreads confidence throughout the entire team.
Yeah it absolutely does….people saying we don’t create as many chances as we should, which was reasonably accurate pre Dyche, it got better under Dyche but having someone in whom the players have confidence up front is a massive part of that, so having that little bit of star quality is essential. Completely agree that is the profile we should be going after, the only concern is, as I say our overall strategy not containing a Plan B, or possibly having one which we never see enacted because we persist with Plan A for too long. An example of this would be Kurt Zouma, not exactly young as he was 24 at the time, but we persisted in trying to get him for too long. There has to be a cut off point. I appreciate I’ve probably addressed a number of issues around our strategy there.