Summer transfer window 2023

Apart from Courtois, Oblak, maybe Ter Stegen, I don’t see many absolutely top class keepers around. It shows at international level as well with the best keepers at recent tournaments being Pickford and Livakovic who aren’t at top clubs.

Even in the prem when you look at Lloris Kepa Mendy De Gea Ramsdale they’re poor keepers who make lots of errors. I don’t rate Allison and Ederson that highly either, the former making far too many errors and is awful with his feet but has the most favourable media reporting of any keeper, and the latter being a terrible shot stopper who had the luxury of barely facing any shots.

We’d have to be very astute with our scouting to find the next up and coming keeper because the top clubs with unlimited budgets can’t seem to find decent ones. We have a very good keeper, better than most of the names there and on the rung just below the very top tier of Courtois and Oblak.

Totally disagree, Ederson and Allison are head and shoulders the 2 best keepers in the league by some distance and 2 of the best in Europe.

We went for Richarlison and signed him….there were rumours (admittedly only reported) of the South American kid that went to Real Madrid). Kudus was 22 and not getting first team action we were reportedly interested in him. Lukaku was not getting first team action and was young but we managed to snag him. More recently Garner - young, not getting regular first team action with his parent club. This has been incredibly infrequent and I am not isolating it to just examples of people not getting First team action, but generally younger players with upside, so we have done it in previous seasons just not on a consistent basis. Its what we then do, if our main strategy does not work.

I think thats what I meant really..."infrequent".

What if we signed 2 u23 attacking players with very high pedigree whose values would improve over 2 seasons and then we would sell and then sign 4 players...and continue buying / selling every 2 seasons?

We'd gradually be in a position to have a top young squad valued at a fortune.

Again, in normal circumstances. Our squad is diabolical, as a result of recruitment that is beyond shocking. We will be fighting relegation again. The teams that went down all had average or poor GKs - same as last year. People underestimate the difference a good GK makes at the business ends of the table. You can only really get away with average GKs if you are a comfortable mid-table team. Even if we have better recruitment than usual this summer, there is no guarantee that will be the case for us. Would be mad to move Pickford on in our current state.

Generally I agree with you - we've had enough conversations to that effect on here - I want young talent acquired from across the world. But part of realising where we are should not be getting in established players who are 26 plus (something I'm sure Dyche will be pushing for), but rather, trying to keep hold of the few good players we have.

In Pickford's case, if he has another good season, he will still have suitors next summer. If we have gone some way to sorting out the rest of the squad and have finished comfortably in mid-table, we could look to move him on and invest then. If we sell him and look to get a really good GK to replace him this summer, a huge chunk of the cash generated would have to go on his replacement. What's the point?

Sell at £50mil and im sure we'd be making £20mil minimum to add to the 'warchest' after signing a replacement.

In a season Pickfords value wont be anywhere close to what it is now...while the right replacements value should have increased.

We cant be frightened of change.

Apart from Courtois, Oblak, maybe Ter Stegen, I don’t see many absolutely top class keepers around. It shows at international level as well with the best keepers at recent tournaments being Pickford and Livakovic who aren’t at top clubs.

Even in the prem when you look at Lloris Kepa Mendy De Gea Ramsdale they’re poor keepers who make lots of errors. I don’t rate Allison and Ederson that highly either, the former making far too many errors and is awful with his feet but has the most favourable media reporting of any keeper, and the latter being a terrible shot stopper who had the luxury of barely facing any shots.

We’d have to be very astute with our scouting to find the next up and coming keeper because the top clubs with unlimited budgets can’t seem to find decent ones. We have a very good keeper, better than most of the names there and on the rung just below the very top tier of Courtois and Oblak.

Anderlecht + Valencia keepers. Probably talking £15-25mil for either.

Totally disagree, Ederson and Allison are head and shoulders the 2 best keepers in the league by some distance and 2 of the best in Europe.

I think if either played for Everton they’d get exposed. I think Ederson would be awful for us, absolutely awful. He’s at the perfect club at City because his play with his feet is fantastic, but i just don’t remember him making the sort of game winning saves Pickford does. I think we’re down both of the last two seasons with Ederson in goal, I don’t see him making the saves v Chelsea Leicester Liverpool etc that Pickford made.

Can you imagine the media reaction to some of Allison’s errors if he played for Everton? He teed up two City goals from his own goalkicks in a 4-1 home drubbing by their rivals. Imagine Pickford did this v Liverpool for Everton, he’d never recover from the media onslaught. He cost his team the lead in the CL knockout tie with yet another kicking error. He’d be getting absolutely destroyed for that at Everton. He’s weak on the shot across goal as he doesn’t get down quick enough.

He’s a very good keeper who is excellent one v one and good under the highball but some football fans seriously overrate him. He just makes too many errors. You’d never see the likes of Schmeichal Cech Van Der Sat Buffon Southall etc. make those sort of errors so regularly. They might have one or two in their career, Allison makes two or three per season, sometimes per game!

If he really is the best in the world then Real Madrid Barcelona PSG would be breaking the bank to get him this summer. I can’t see any of them doing that.

I think if either played for Everton they’d get exposed. I think Ederson would be awful for us, absolutely awful. He’s at the perfect club at City because his play with his feet is fantastic, but i just don’t remember him making the sort of game winning saves Pickford does. I think we’re down both of the last two seasons with Ederson in goal, I don’t see him making the saves v Chelsea Leicester Liverpool etc that Pickford made.

Can you imagine the media reaction to some of Allison’s errors if he played for Everton? He teed up two City goals from his own goalkicks in a 4-1 home drubbing by their rivals. Imagine Pickford did this v Liverpool for Everton, he’d never recover from the media onslaught. He cost his team the lead in the CL knockout tie with yet another kicking error. He’d be getting absolutely destroyed for that at Everton. He’s weak on the shot across goal as he doesn’t get down quick enough.

He’s a good keeper who is excellent one v one and good under the highball but some football fans seriously overrate him. He just makes too many errors. You’d never see the likes of Schmeichal Cech Van Der Sat Buffon Southall etc. make those sort of errors so regularly. They might have one or two in their career, Allison makes two or three per season, sometimes per game!

We'll agree to disagree mate and I'm with @MikeH72 I rate Allison as one of the best in the world. Of course they both make mistakes, all keepers do, but they're match winners in a very different way, make massive saves in key stages of a match and don't crumble under pressure.

Both of course around the same age as Pickford.

The question is, who are the next world class keepers who should be superior to Ederson/Allison's quality?

Mamardashvili at 22 or Verbruggen at 20 would be the ones imo.

Roll the dice and bring one in and put the rest of the Pickford mondy towards goalscorers.

The young replacement could be instantly as good as Pickford, if not better.

I think thats what I meant really..."infrequent".

What if we signed 2 u23 attacking players with very high pedigree whose values would improve over 2 seasons and then we would sell and then sign 4 players...and continue buying / selling every 2 seasons?

We'd gradually be in a position to have a top young squad valued at a fortune.

Sell at £50mil and im sure we'd be making £20mil minimum to add to the 'warchest' after signing a replacement.

In a season Pickfords value wont be anywhere close to what it is now...while the right replacements value should have increased.

We cant be frightened of change.

Anderlecht + Valencia keepers. Probably talking £15-25mil for either.
Pickford is the last player this club should let go. He saved this club from relegation 2 years in a row and has become the best player at this club. I know what you mean by signing young players low. However, literally we can move on every player but as I said Pickford should be the last to go as he is THAT indispensable.

Both of course around the same age as Pickford.

The question is, who are the next world class keepers who should be superior to Ederson/Allison's quality?

Mamardashvili at 22 or Verbruggen at 20 would be the ones imo.

Roll the dice and bring one in and put the rest of the Pickford mondy towards goalscorers.

The young replacement could be instantly as good as Pickford, if not better.

We won’t be signing anyone who is rated to be among the best young keepers in the world Zat.

We won’t be signing anyone who is rated to be among the best young keepers in the world Zat.

We signed a very highly rated Pickford.

I wanted us to sign him before we made a move, he looked that good.

The Anderlecht or Valencia keepers i like have a choice.

Stay.
Go to a top club as backup
Go somewhere where they will be 1st choice

Id imagine we would have a fair chance being in the premier league.

Down the line if a silly offer comes in for that keeper then we could say no if were not in this position...or we sell for big money and do the same again.

Why not?

Imagine if West Ham had sold Rice with that logic...

You should ALWAYS sell players in their prime years for their peak value. Then reinvest.

1 year on Virginias deal. Im expecting him to be punted out on loan until his deal expires.

Good luck to him ;)

This doesnt make sense to me...Tarkowski, Patterson and Branthwaite are a lot better than just "ok". I dont mind Mykolenko either although an attacking full back could add another dimension -- is that even how Dyche wants to setup?

Which I completely get and to the best part agree, particularly if you aren't a top level club.

However you're asking to remove a key component of a struggling team where he has been an oustanding contributor to us not being a league below. It's not like we have a replacement ready to go or a track record of a solid replacement being lined up. We have literally the opposite.

I would love us to get to the position of being able to cash in at the right time knowing we'll have it covered by the understudy, or a player coming in. However history tells us we dont.

Comparining Onana situation to Rice doesn't work, Rice has been a mainstay in their team and is much more a rounded footballer. Onana hasn't been vital to us staying up this season, at least nowhere near the levels of others. YES in an ideal world we keep Onana for 2/3 years, develop him and sell him for profit, but if we have to sell-to-buy, Onana is the one you know you'll get a solid big fee for, without damaging the team as much as losing Pickford would be.

People underestimate just how important the goalkeeper is. The big question is, would we replace him adequetely?, or more so do we trust the club to replace him adequetely?

Absolutely not.

Which I completely get and to the best part agree, particularly if you aren't a top level club.

However you're asking to remove a key component of a struggling team where he has been an oustanding contributor to us not being a league below. It's not like we have a replacement ready to go or a track record of a solid replacement being lined up. We have literally the opposite.

I would love us to get to the position of being able to cash in at the right time knowing we'll have it covered by the understudy, or a player coming in. However history tells us we dont.

Comparining Onana situation to Rice doesn't work, Rice has been a mainstay in their team and is much more a rounded footballer. Onana hasn't been vital to us staying up this season, at least nowhere near the levels of others. YES in an ideal world we keep Onana for 2/3 years, develop him and sell him for profit, but if we have to sell-to-buy, Onana is the one you know you'll get a solid big fee for, without damaging the team as much as losing Pickford would be.

People underestimate just how important the goalkeeper is. The big question is, would we replace him adequetely?, or more so do we trust the club to replace him adequetely?

Absolutely not.
Leicester was the prime example.

But what if they're not? What if they're a Bazunu? You can't risk that in our position.

The Valencia keeper isnt far off Pickfords level at 22. The Anderlecht keeper isnt as good of course but doesnt look like he'd flop.

If nothing changes then we'll be in the same position in 12months. Or selling top young players to destroy our future.

Roll the dice and dont be afraid of change.