Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like whoever signed for us that summer was going to be England’s number one and it happened to be Pickford

Not how I remember it. Everton have a poor reputation with the national team and the national media. Going into the tournament it was a straight forward shoot out between Hart, Butland, Pickford, Pope and Heaton. Heaton got injured but the media approved pecking order was very much Butland as favourite with Hart in second. It was Southgate who backed Pickford due to his superior distribution (and perhaps his mentality that everyone seems to hate). Even after his Colombia heroics he came under ridiculous criticism for the Januzaj goal from the press.

It was certainly not the case that whoever we bought would become England’s number 1. Pickford has done amazingly well to get that position and even better to keep it given the climate of ridiculous scrutiny he has to operate in.

So much wrong with this post
I think you are mistaking confidence for arrogance there.
Pickford has always held his hands up when he has made mistakes, after the derby, after newcastle, he literally came out a couple of weeks ago talking about how he thinks he's just a normal lad but has to realise he cant be just a normal lad.

Butland on the other hand, my guess is you are basing this on a small smaple size of the year before stoke got relegated. Butland is a broken man, he has absolutely no confidence whatsoever and is in a rutt at Stoke, that is why no one has gone in for him. He is all abit to quiet and nice to pick himself up after a couple of really poor seasons
I just don’t remember him saying anything with the Spurs mishap and I think that got to me but there’s other little examples like holding the ball until the opposing striker is a stride away from him.

And yes to be fair I am basing it off that last season stoke was in the prem. I thought he was exceptional that season

We can get Martins Indi to go with Butland and Zouma and try and recreate the entire back line that took Stoke down.
I can remember through the fog of memory that there was an amount of upset over not getting Martins Indi outselves. That could've been our defence!?!?! Yikes. Weird business transfers - Gana a star for us was part of a useless Villa side. Zouma there was a very decent option in defence for us last year.

I would say your uncle could tell some stories.
Is he still involved in the game ??
He's a consultant with the Trinidad and Tobago National team,sorts games out,advises them what to do etc,and is the agent of the boss of the Trinidad team,still have's some players but no were near involved now to back then,as he's in his early 70s
Did testimonials for Rush,Nicol,Watson,southall, to name a few in the past,with southall been the most generous of all players he sorted games for,in giving aways 1000s of tickets

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying Butland is weak but he is willing to go down with his team and take the humility of it. Which I can also see going against him like Pickford’s cockiness as you said
I think in sport larger than life personalities fare better than than the more introverted characters perhaps because they have more self belief and push themselves harder to be the best. This was certainly true of Southall and I see a lot of him in Pickford. Both have strong personalities and are very driven.
Butland is undoubtably a very good, steady keeper but he seems to have peaked some years ago and has struggled to regain that level since his injury.
I think Butland is currently as good as he will ever be but Pickford will continue to improve.
We also have Virginia who may surpass both anyway.

I can remember through the fog of memory that there was an amount of upset over not getting Martins Indi outselves. That could've been our defence!?!?! Yikes. Weird business transfers - Gana a star for us was part of a useless Villa side. Zouma there was a very decent option in defence for us last year.

Think Mark Hughes might have been a bigger overriding factor than any player in that Stoke team.

Maybe not a signing as such, but my little lad asked for his 1st Everton top today.
Bought him the home top from the club shop.

I was made up, especially as his classmates and teachers are all RS.

I haven't tried to push the Everton narrative on him, but I told him exactly what that shower across the park are :)

My son wanted a Celtic top....told him I would kill Santa if he ever wore any other football top than Everton. That was 6/7 years ago... worked a treat!

If we sign Neres that’s means Rich is back up front and I just don’t rate him much in that position.

Although Bernard, Richarlison & Neres is a sexy forward 3.

They won’t all play every game though will they?

Having those 3 options for the wide areas is decent for me.

Talking about Stoke (not really a reply to you eggs but going off your post)...

If we are truly selling Pickford and/or are in the business of looking for another goalie why aren’t we giving Jack Butland a look. Back before we signed Pickford I rated Butland over him and wish we would’ve signed him. I also like Butland’s personality more than Pickford’s.

I liked Ryan Giggs personality more than I did Pickford's and look how that turned our for his Brother
I like John Terry personality more than I did Pickford's and look how that turned out for Wayne Bridge

Moral of the story we aint got a clue what they are like as people, so lets just focus on ability

Status
Not open for further replies.