Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though Batshuayi only played a handful of games and scored just 5 PL goals you can just tell Chelsea are going to value him at probably north of £35m. Think we should hold out for a world record fee with Rom this summer, I don't even care if we sell him in a year for only 40-50m, he will score 20-25 goals again if he stays fit.

The links to Vardy today seem to be all over the place, possibly just the same story regurgitated by everyone, but it could mean that the deal for Sandro Ramirez is off, as they are very similar types of player. I wouldn't be opposed to Vardy, but i think we need 3 forwards in total

https://thisisfutbol.com/2017/06/blogs/premier-league/everton-eye-shock-swoop-for-vardy/
Exactly that.
I know swap deals aren't common but I think this one could be slightly more likely than the usual rumours. The problem with most mooted swap deals is they involve a clearly inferior player who is often available for transfer anyway being put forward as a makeweight in a deal. So for example we've seen Rooney being mentioned as a swap if Lukaku was to go to United. Why would we accept that? It makes no sense, because if we want Rooney we can just get him anyway whether Lukaku goes there or not.

The Batshuayi situation is slightly different, as it's a player they may not normally sell becoming available as a direct result of them wanting Lukaku and he's a player that could effectively take Rom's place, meaning we've replaced him and got a load of money left over to spend elsewhere. I've no idea if there's any truth in it of course, but for once it's a swap deal that would actually make sense.
That's NOT really the problem with most mooted swap deals though.

The problem is that with the way transfers work these days, with all the interested parties, commissions, bonuses etc etc, it's hard enough to organise a regular high profile transfer, much less one where you double the number of interested parties.

Even though Batshuayi only played a handful of games and scored just 5 PL goals you can just tell Chelsea are going to value him at probably north of £35m. Think we should hold out for a world record fee with Rom this summer, I don't even care if we sell him in a year for only 40-50m, he will score 20-25 goals again if he stays fit.
I hate to make our competitors BETTER, but in this instance, is Rom really an improvement over what they have? I also think if they tried to play Rom with Costa it would be a mess.

Exactly that.

That's NOT really the problem with most mooted swap deals though.

The problem is that with the way transfers work these days, with all the interested parties, commissions, bonuses etc etc, it's hard enough to organise a regular high profile transfer, much less one where you double the number of interested parties.
I think it is. It's very easy to get around the sort of issues you're talking about by either arranging payments from club to agent or by simply structuring the deal as two different transactions. That way there is still a 'swap' involved, but all the agents get what they want etc. As I said previously, it's no more difficult than sorting loyalty bonuses, buy back clauses and dual ownership issues, but all of those things happen with great regularity. In my opinion it's just not often the case that the stars align to such an extent that the very same player you would like to add to your squad is offered to you by a club who wants one of your players.

I think it is. It's very easy to get around the sort of issues you're talking about by either arranging payments from club to agent or by simply structuring the deal as two different transactions. That way there is still a 'swap' involved, but all the agents get what they want etc. As I said previously, it's no more difficult than sorting loyalty bonuses, buy back clauses and dual ownership issues, but all of those things happen with great regularity. In my opinion it's just not often the case that the stars align to such an extent that the very same player you would like to add to your squad is offered to you by a club who wants one of your players.

But they really don't happen anywhere near as often as is made out by rumours in the PL mate.

It's just not a done thing.

"I no longer applaud Anderlecht's fans at the end of matches these days. Some of them treat me differently to the club's other players.

"I have had messages on my phone from Anderlecht fans calling me a monkey, or telling me and my family to go back home. I have kept them all.

"It all weighs down on me. Some days I don't even want to leave my house when I wake up.

- Original article was in french

Hardly made it up, dispute source if you'd like, and Batshuayi, Origi, Benteke, Dimata hardly start.

Fine you can believe whatever he says. I am even willing to believe that there are some who have sent him messages like that (appaling messages in every sense). They have patched up their relationship btw ( http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170430_02859464)

It's interesting though that he had the same issues with his previous club Genk were he wanted to fight the fans. It's always the same, he can't deal with criticism. Taunts the fans, fans react and it all goes downhill from there. As a footballer you should be able to deal with booing, you can't turn on your own fans. Oh another crowdfavourite atm is Acheampong. He's freakishly fast but doesn't know what to do with the ball most of the time so he gives a lot of substandard passes, gets lost on the field... They love him, it helps that he is a very friendly character. Same with Sowah, and Lukebakio before his loan...

You aren't allowed to post that link btw.

Before Martinez Benteke was the number one striker. He didn't get booed. Even Martinez acknowledges that Lukaku is the only one who gets booed on a somewhat regular basis and he doesn't know why and wants it to stop. It's a strange thing loads of articles about that one of the many :http://m.sporza.be/#!/snippet/58d7c79cc9976f06001e762e .

So if it's not the case that contractual/financial stuff is the cause of swap deals happening, why is they used to happen with a fair regularity before the vast sums of money flooded into the game?

But they really don't happen anywhere near as often as is made out by rumours in the PL mate.

It's just not a done thing.
Yeah I know, that's exactly what I'm saying. The point being, I don't think the reason is necessarily that it's incredibly difficult to organise, but that many of the rumours don't make any sense.

So if it's not the case that contractual/financial stuff is the cause of swap deals happening, why is they used to happen with a fair regularity before the vast sums of money flooded into the game?
Well the vast sums of money also coincided with the globalisation of scouting networks and massive increases in foreign players moving to the league.

So 30 years ago, if Everton were selling a striker, we would be selling him to a UK club, and buying a replacement from a UK club. The players themselves would only be moving to one of about 20 other clubs because they would be staying in the country. Options were limited all round, and there was therefore a decent chance that a swap deal might make sense for all parties.

Now, if we're selling a striker, we could replace him with somebody from anywhere in the world, so it's much less likely that our desired replacement happens to be at the very club we're selling to. Similarly, the players themselves have much more freedom of movement, and may prefer to move to Spain, Germany or wherever rather than come to us - something which wasn't a factor before the money started rolling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.