Summer 2024 transfer thread.

….i would add into that; ‘diamonds’.

Not too long ago we paid £1m for Branthwaite; £1m DCL; £2m Stones. A truly outstanding DoF has global contacts and is aware of real potential stars before they become household names.

Many of the players we were linked with last summer (inc Beto) needed to be acquired in their previous move. It’s like we’re finding out about them when everybody else knows rather than being a step ahead.

To be fair i dont think we're attractive mate, we've had near misses allegedly with Kudus, Ndiaye, Gnonto and Diaz and the likes of Elanga thought that Forrest were a better bet then us Gibbs White as well now that i think of it- all i think add to us. All we can offer lads realistically is a relegation battle and it hasn't looked to fun playing through the season with the knife of points deductions hanging over players heads. We need to stabilise in my opinion and incrementally climb the table and look secure before we can even get the likes of Elanga.

Dyche helps in my opinion, he can point to Garner and Branthwaite to young lads and say look we can give you a foothold in the PL and a foundation that you make a profile for yourself - you will get a chance here and we'l bring you on. Overall our signings will be at opposite ends of a spectrum i think - some Chermitis's, some Youngs via Harrisons and Danjumas on loan. On Chermiti and youngsters in general, you mention DCL and Branthwaite - its easy forget they were here for a couple of seasons before they became really established.

Close your eyes, keep your fingers crossed as we're heading for year 4 of trying to survive before we get to BMD.

Think we have the manager for it - the club could help him more mind.

Last edited:
Does anyone watch the Royal Blue Podcast, in the video below, a question from the live chat regarding Idrissa Gueye was "Are we in a position to extend his contract for another year at least"

Joe Thomas response was " I would suggest Alex looks at the Echo website at maybe 7am on Saturday morning".

Anyone seen anything??? I`ve looked and can`t see anything yet.

To be fair i dont think we're attractive mate, we've had near misses allegedly with Kudus, Ndiaye, Gnonto and Diaz and the likes of Elanga thought that Forrest were a better bet then us Gibbs White as well now that i think of it- all i think add to us. All we can offer lads realistically is a relegation battle and it hasn't looked to fun playing through the season with the knife of points deductions hanging over players heads. We need to stabilise in my opinion and incrementally climb the table and look secure before we can even get the likes of Elanga.

Dyche helps in my opinion, he can point to Garner and Branthwaite to young lads and say look we can give you a foothold in the PL and a foundation that you make a profile for yourself - you will get a chance here and we'l bring you on. Overall our signings will be at opposite end of a spectrum i think - some Chermitis's, some Youngs via Harrisons and Danjumas on loan. On Chermiti and youngsters in general, you mention DCL and Branthwaite - its easy forget they were here for a couple of seasons before they became really established.

Close your eyes, keep your fingers crossed as we're heading for year 4 of trying to survive before we get to BMD.

Think we have the manager for it - the club could help him more mind.

…the PL and Everton is still an attractive proposition, although much depends on whether there’s competition for a player.

I generally think we’re a ‘step behind’ on most of our targets rather than being ahead of the game. Nobody is saying it’s easy to unearth talent but it’s why a DOF is paid lots of money. Obviously, I’m not at all convinced with Thelwell.

…the PL and Everton is still an attractive proposition, although much depends on whether there’s competition for a player.

I generally think we’re a ‘step behind’ on most of our targets rather than being ahead of the game. Nobody is saying it’s easy to unearth talent but it’s why a DOF is paid lots of money. Obviously, I’m not at all convinced with Thelwell.

I think its a hard lense that judges the club in comparison to its peers at the moment mate, lets just say what we are we are the worst run club probably in Europe, likely in English football and definitely in the PL.

The destabilisation that has caused and lack of resources i think makes it difficult to make like for like comparisons with peers, or even fulfill a normal job description, i think Dyche and Thelwell are working in incredibly difficult circumstances.

I think to be fair to both, we have been more active on youth then with other management teams or combinations. Thelwel has certainly got an economy going with selling academy products more so then his predecessors and its bringing revenue into the club. I think he can point to developmental pathways for Branthwaite and say, yes the decision on the loan bore fruit, while Garner and Dobbin have contributed to the first team as young players brought in backed, found a role and contributed. If you got three players in a season doing that at first team level your doing alright as a management team.

Far from waiving the flag at Cermiti, i think hes a finisher, raw elements to him certainly, but hes a project - isnt this what we want - its the leap of faith - maybe hes that player we identified before all others. Like Branthwaite and DCL..........

Alan Browne being mentioned. Local and been at Preston all his career and on a free transfer as things stand.

Box to box midfielder and regular for ROI so he would be the chap filler stand in for Garner you'd think if he got injured or had another Chelsea away peformance.

Word on the ground is Leeds might be in a bit of trouble financially unless they go up, it’s less about their losses this year, more to do with big contract players returning and big sums in transfer fees owed and falling due mate. Apparently they need cash.

They've got a few on loan in the Bundesliga haven't they, pretty sure Robin Koch was called up for Germany this season so probably sell him. Sinistierra done o.k at Bournemouth so assume there's something there to sell him permanently and Summerville will 100% be in prem next season for someone. It will just take 30m + to sign him which is the issue with this club.

Last summer I suggested...
Charles De Ketelaere
€3mil loan
€22mil option to buy
€4mil in performance related add ons

Serie A
1744 minutes / 7 goals 6 assists

Europa
409mins / 2 goals 1 assist

Would have been a perfect player to play either CF and the Doucoure role instead of Beto.

Need to be taking chances on young players now not wasting wages on players lacking quality and potential.

Alan Browne being mentioned. Local and been at Preston all his career and on a free transfer as things stand.

Box to box midfielder and regular for ROI so he would be the chap filler stand in for Garner you'd think if he got injured or had another Chelsea away peformance.
I’d want an upgrade on garner,
He’s not done enough to be a regular starter imo, squad player for a season or two

Going to be a tough window I think. We have a small budget and need to use it well especially as we are losing a number of players.

I think we will end up offering extensions to some players. Eg. coleman

If we give Coleman an extension then hes become an albatross.

Yeah lower wages is he good enough 29 been at preston all his career. Is something we will have to look at for players

If anything cant be more than a short term backup. Nonsensical.

We won’t play FIFA. We need numbers and I think they will give a one year extension

Happy you dont play computer games, no idea of the relevance.

Wanting or expecting Coleman to get a contract extension is too negative for me. Coaching maybe but anything else is a no.

Have no idea about him if good enough is fine with me wouldnt want him as a replacement for onana. But is a market we should be looking for players

He may be very good, ive never heard of him lol

There must be better u21s that could be developed instead.