Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what instantly came to my mind; obviously, we shouldn't halt every deal because of previous failings however it has heightened our apprehension.

I for one was happy when we signed Keane as I believed, from what I saw at Burnley, that we had a good defender who'd further develop - how wrong was I.
Obviously every player should be evaluated separately but the similarities really are there and we should be careful not to make the mistake again. That mistake being confusing a deep lying defensive system that takes a lot of pressure off the central defenders for actual good center back play. Boro under Karanka played as deep as possible and that was Gibson's premier league experience so I have my doubts about him playing higher up just like Keane has struggled with

Obviously every player should be evaluated separately but the similarities really are there and we should be careful not to make the mistake again. That mistake being confusing a deep lying defensive system that takes a lot of pressure off the central defenders for actual good center back play. Boro under Karanka played as deep as possible and that was Gibson's premier league experience so I have my doubts about him playing higher up just like Keane has struggled with

When Boro sacked Karanka, and they brought in the new manager, who played a higher line and way more open, Boro started shipping goals at an alarming rate.

He's just another Keane ability wise, dies seem to at least have a bit of courage about him which Keane is absent of any semblance of though.

Modern footballers can, and should, be able to play both sides.

Defensively, absolutely. But a left footed left CB tends to have a wider range of passing angles, especially for releasing the ball up the flank with precision and start attacks quickly. Theoretically. In modern football the left footed center half has become something of a fetish for managers though.

You quite often see a right footed centre half playing left side but very rarely see a left footed centre half playing right side.
Strange.

I never get these type of comments.

Can modern footballers defy science and change to become left footed were past players couldn't?

I think a left footed CB is more ideal as it gives you balance. You can get away with two right footers but its not ideal.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I never said I didn't prefer a left-footer I just said a PL defender should be able to play both sides of central defence.

Can modern footballers defy science and change to become left footed were past players couldn't?

I think a left footed CB is more ideal as it gives you balance. You can get away with two right footers but its not ideal.

Conversely unless I'm mistaken both Ferdinand and Vidic where right footed and where one if the best cb partnerships the league's seen.

Much like lahm spent over half his career playing fullback on his weaker foot.

The better players adapt simple as.

Gibson isn’t a risk full stop. He’s a proven PL defender and a good one at that.

Was linked to City and one or two others when Boro were relegated but from what I remember they were asking ridiculous money at the time which is probably why a move didn’t materialise.

15 million is buttons these days and if Burnley pull it off, they’ll have a bargain.

Still only 25, left footed, captain at his club with leadership qualities and an organiser.

People won’t get excited about him though because he’s not a sexy name but I’d be all over that deal at 15 million.

He’s a rock solid dependable centre half.
I read all the same things about Keane a year ago.

When Boro sacked Karanka, and they brought in the new manager, who played a higher line and way more open, Boro started shipping goals at an alarming rate.

He's just another Keane ability wise, dies seem to at least have a bit of courage about him which Keane is absent of any semblance of though.

Under Pulis?? Doesn't sound right

Skill is in the brain. Once you’ve learned something for the right foot - it’s easier to do it on the left. It’s not like these players don’t have enough time to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.