Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
368251CA00000578-0-image-m-5_1469207141991.jpg

Phase 1 : Launch gravy train Walsh and the the fat mess out of the door.

Phase 2 : Replace with a new manager and a proper DOF, rather than one who collects passport stamps.

Phase 3 : Bin all the duds signed by gravy train Walsh.

Phase 4: Start from scratch.

• 13th May, 2018 - 2017-18 Premier League season ends
  • 17th May, 2018 - Summer transfer window opens
  • 28th May, 2018 - Pre-World Cup friendlies begin
  • 9th June, 2018 - Pre-World Cup friendlies end
  • 14th June, 2018 - World Cup 2018 begins
  • 15th July, 2018 - World Cup 2018 ends
  • 9th August, 2018 - Summer transfer window closes
  • 10th August, 2018 - 2018-19 Premier League season begins

Been thinking it through, the squad is SO poorly assembled I'm struggling to find who I would actually want to keep.

Players I'd be bothered with retaining

Pickford
Coleman
Holgate
Gana (though I don't think he works in the style I want us to play)
Davies
Lookman
Walcott
Rooney
Sigurdsson (though I'd sell for £25m, again doesn't fit into style I want)
DCL
Vlasic
Then the youth players like Kenny,Dowell, Beni, Williams, Connolly etc

Sell all the rest, they would do fine elsewhere but not in this team.

I just don't see how you fit the likes of Klaassen, Schneiderlin, Tosun, Bolasie etc etc into any team that is going to win games.

What a summer we've got ahead of us, eh? So many players that the fans knew were finished but have played so often this season and completely stunk the place out on a weekly basis. They must surely be off in the summer, especially with Sam saying many of them had interest this window / wanted to leave us.

I am thinking Jagielka, Williams and Martina will surely be off on permanent deals. Schneiderlin may be one of those who wanted to go and should be sold. Besic and Sandro will hopefully have their loans made permanent and we've already lost Barkley and Mirallas. Pennington and Browning are currently on loan and I imagine they also have no future with us, and we clearly need to get one of Robles/Stekelenberg off the books. Mangala will also go back to City, and I think arguments can be made for Niasse leaving us too.

Our average age will drop significantly, which is a great thing, and it's crucial we get signings in the positions we desperately need, namely at centre back, left back, centre midfield and on the wing. If Niasse goes (maybe even if he stays) we'll need another striker too.

Seeing as Steve Walsh is the best DoF ever, he'll surely have deals in place to get our squad sorted in the first weeks of the transfer window, so it's really exciting.

Been thinking it through, the squad is SO poorly assembled I'm struggling to find who I would actually want to keep.

Pickford
Coleman
Holgate
Davies
Lookman
Walcott
Rooney
DCL
Vlasic

I just don't see how you fit the likes of Klaassen, Schneiderlin, Tosun, Bolasie etc etc into any team that is going to win games.

To be fair mate, Klaassen has won a lot of games in his career and seems to have been written off after about 180 minutes of league football.

Pickford
Coleman
Holgate
Davies
Lookman
Walcott
Rooney
DCL
Vlasic

Am struggling to be honest with the squad, we need such a overall (lols and Walsh has spent 200m assembling this squad) that I don't even know where to start...

Its going to take a few seasons to ship out and replace some of the players we have... and right now I 100% do not trust Walsh to do that, I can only hope that Moshiri brings in someone sensible on the football side to advise him and they tell him the same.

To be fair mate, Klaassen has won a lot of games in his career and seems to have been written off after about 180 minutes of league football.

I've written Tosun off after fewer minutes to be fair :)

Klaassen doesn't touch the ball much. In the Dutch league, in a dominant side that wasn't a problem. They kept the ball, he found the spaces and scored.

Ajax fans loved him so he must have something going for him but I don't see a position for him in the formation I'd want us to play.

Only possibility would be playing off the striker in the front 2 but even then feel we could get a faster, stronger player for that role.

With a new manager (please God please) I think I would stick with Klassen and Keane for another season. The main reason is that their valaution is likely on the floor and the chances of getting anything like what we payed for them is pretty remote so i think we may as well keep them around. With Sandro I think he's also worth retaining as long as there is no definitive buy out option with Sevilla. He's young, cost a pittance and we can make our money back on him whenever we want so it's worth sticking with him.

Pickford
Kenny* (I think we should loan him out next season but I can't see us signing another right back so I guess he stays as Coleman's understudy).
Coleman
Keane
Holgate
RFM
Baines (he needs to be the understudy to a new left back next season)
Gana
Baningime*
McCarthy* (obviously going nowhere with his injury).
Klassen
Davies*
Dowell*
Lookman*
Vlasic
Sigurdsson
Onyekuru
Rooney
Sandro
Walcott
DcL*
Niasse
Tosun

That's a 23 man squad although the * means they don't have to be named so we have 19 senior players there, McCarthy will also be crocked for most of next season as well and won't be named. I also think there is a possibility Vlasic will be loaned out next season whilst Niasse is a 50/50 to still be here next season. I think he should stay personally since he is a goal threat and won't kick up much fuss if he's second choice.

Get what we can for schneiderfraud, Mirallas, Besic and Garbutt. Joel and Stek will obviously be moved on. Send Jags into retirement and offer up Williams and Martina for medical experiments as nobody would be stupid enough to buy them off us.

That means we need:

Reserve Goalie (not aware of anyone coming through so we'll have to buy one)
Left Back (obviously)
Centre Back
Centre Mid who can pass the ball
Creative left winger

Assuming all of these players are senior players and not homegrown that takes us up to the 24 man squad. I can't remember how old Holgate is so he may not have to be named either.

With a new manager (please God please) I think I would stick with Klassen and Keane for another season. The main reason is that their valaution is likely on the floor and the chances of getting anything like what we payed for them is pretty remote so i think we may as well keep them around. With Sandro I think he's also worth retaining as long as there is no definitive buy out option with Sevilla. He's young, cost a pittance and we can make our money back on him whenever we want so it's worth sticking with him.

Pickford
Kenny* (I think we should loan him out next season but I can't see us signing another right back so I guess he stays as Coleman's understudy).
Coleman
Keane
Holgate
RFM
Baines (he needs to be the understudy to a new left back next season)
Gana
Baningime*
McCarthy* (obviously going nowhere with his injury).
Klassen
Davies*
Dowell*
Lookman*
Vlasic
Sigurdsson
Onyekuru
Rooney
Sandro
Walcott
DcL*
Niasse
Tosun

That's a 23 man squad although the * means they don't have to be named so we have 19 senior players there, McCarthy will also be crocked for most of next season as well and won't be named. I also think there is a possibility Vlasic will be loaned out next season whilst Niasse is a 50/50 to still be here next season. I think he should stay personally since he is a goal threat and won't kick up much fuss if he's second choice.

Get what we can for schneiderfraud, Mirallas, Besic and Garbutt. Joel and Stek will obviously be moved on. Send Jags into retirement and offer up Williams and Martina for medical experiments as nobody would be stupid enough to buy them off us.

That means we need:

Reserve Goalie (not aware of anyone coming through so we'll have to buy one)
Left Back (obviously)
Centre Back
Centre Mid who can pass the ball
Creative left winger

Assuming all of these players are senior players and not homegrown that takes us up to the 24 man squad. I can't remember how old Holgate is so he may not have to be named either.
I agree with most of what you’ve said but I think we need a top class 20+ goals a season CF
I know I’m probably a bit premature in writing Tosun off but unless he shows something special in the last 9/10 than he can’t be relied on for next season

Plus it may be a case of who we can sell rather than who we want to sell
There’s not much money to be made in selling the players you want out

Pickford
Coleman
Holgate
Davies
Lookman
Walcott
Rooney
DCL
Vlasic

Not sure how we can judge Tossun or Klassen on such little playing time tbh?

Pickford / new reserve keeper
Coleman /Kenny
Keane / Holgate
New LCB /RFM
New LB / Baines

Gana / Beni
New box to box MF/ Davies

Walcott /Lookman
Siggy/ Vlasic
Henry /Bolassie

New CF/ Tosun
Add
Rooney ( he’s here for one more season
Dowell
DCL
McCarthy
Klassen
That’s 27 with 4/5 of those not needing to be registered.
Its 4 new players to integrate into the first team in a WC year and after this summer I’m not sure it’s possible for us but other clubs have done it
Problem is
LCB is 50m
LB. 30 m
MF. 30-40m
CF. 50-60 m
That’s 160/180 m with not a lot coming in from sales 40/50 m Max so it’s a big spend for the second summer in a row and not sure if the money is there unless Moshiri gets the DOF and manager we need and he wants
Oh and experienced ready to go first team players we have enough youth in the squad

I agree with most of what you’ve said but I think we need a top class 20+ goals a season CF
I know I’m probably a bit premature in writing Tosun off but unless he shows something special in the last 9/10 than he can’t be relied on for next season

Plus it may be a case of who we can sell rather than who we want to sell
There’s not much money to be made in selling the players you want out

I do agree mate, especially with the part about selling players. With Tosun I'm quietly confident that he'll come good, I'm not sure if he'll be a 20 goal a season man but with DcL whose got 8, Niasse whose got 7, Rooney whose got about 11(?) and Walcott always gets goals I think we have enough goals in this squad that maybe our front man doesn't need to hit the kind of numbers Lukaku was doing for us. I think 15 would be a really solid return for Tosun next season if the aforementioned players match their tallies from this season.

The selling part that you raised is really interesting, how many sell-able assets do we actually have? Joel is a free, Stek will probably get released for nothing, same for Martina and maybe Garbutt, you'd be lucky to get a combined £10m for Mirallas, Williams and Besic and we might get £15-18 for Scheids and hopefully between £12-15 for Bolasie. But as a club who've operated a sell-to-buy policy in recent years (nothing wrong with it imo, as long as you buy better than what you sell which we obviously haven't done) then you wonder if we will get the kind of revenue required to bring in the 5 new players that we probably need.

Status
Not open for further replies.