Stoke v Everton 1st Jan 2014 @ 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a tough game. Stoke played great, they were one solid defensive unit. That point was fair. This month is going to be the one that defines the season. The injuries are starting to catchup, we've got cup games, and we are going to need some smart moves in the window.

I thought Stones and Alcaraz were brilliant and Osman and Jelavic made a good impact as subs. Would've preferred Vellios over Naismith who I thought was a bit aimless.

For goodness' sake pal. I said we passed sideways too much against Sunderland, and also in the second half today prior to the introduction of Osman and Jelavic. Please don't deliberately misrepresent my opinion.

Sorry...i was being smart. Your tactical opinions on the games since sunderland caught my eye as you seem to post your opinions as if fact which comes across as a pub bore. Thats all.

You were wrong in your response to me regarding Osman but didnt mention that.

We're in a good way, great character by the lads, we never know when we're beaten. We dominate every game. We will be at least challenging for 4th come May.

Amen brother totally agree. 2 defeats all season highlights a team who are hard to beat and will pick up points throughout the season. Give credit to Stoke they got some quality blocks in during the 2nd half but we kept going and got our rewards. 1 point off the top 4, 6-7 points off the top ( usually about 15-20 at this stage ) so lots to be positive about in my opinion.

That was a tough game. . . This month is going to be the one that defines the season. The injuries are starting to catchup, we've got cup games, and we are going to need some smart moves in the window.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Good point today but now we need to get back to winning ways. I'm sure it won't be easy but Roberto needs to refresh the squad with real quality.

I was disappointed at the end, there was a penalty, a goal, a late corner by stoke, all in stoppage time, and the ref only adds on about 20 seconds beyond the minimum 4 minutes. He blew the whistle right as we were starting to break!

Still, a point is probably fair. Stoke defended very well, and it just wasn't our day.

Two points lost was my initial feeling after the game, but considering only Norwich (and Stoke of course) has won at Britannia this season that might be wrong. City drew there, and Chelsea lost.
Mirallas was 4 inches off two goals, and we won the passing and so on.

I respect all the posts here, but I see things as they are.

We have 4 points from a possible 9 and considering who we have played...it is not good enough for any side who may have aspirations of a top 5 place and European football next season.

Still, a long way to go and plenty of time to get back on track.

Our football is a joy and even if we do fall short in May, I am very proud what how we have gone about business ;)

Assaidis goal shouldn't have counted. I think it was Adam who dived and the referee played on.
Stop the play and give him a yellow card.

I respect all the posts here, but I see things as they are.

We have 4 points from a possible 9 and considering who we have played...it is not good enough for any side who may have aspirations of a top 5 place and European football next season.

Still, a long way to go and plenty of time to get back on track.

Our football is a joy and even if we do fall short in May, I am very proud what how we have gone about business ;)

I'm pretty sure that the league leaders have dropped points in just under a third of their games....

Having re-watched the penalty a bunch of times now, I seriously cannot fathom what Pennant was thinking. I know I'm not the first to mention this, and perhaps it seems OTT to mention betting syndicates etc but it really looked like Pennant was trying to get booked. Horrific, he fouls Osman the first time, Ossie gets back up so he just takes him down. I'd be appalled if I was a Stoke fan. What was he thinking?

Having re-watched the penalty a bunch of times now, I seriously cannot fathom what Pennant was thinking. I know I'm not the first to mention this, and perhaps it seems OTT to mention betting syndicates etc but it really looked like Pennant was trying to get booked. Horrific, he fouls Osman the first time, Ossie gets back up so he just takes him down. I'd be appalled if I was a Stoke fan. What was he thinking?

Far east betting??!!

You are right, 4 points out of 9 from the matches we have had looks disappointing.

However, it was Sunderland at home that was the bollock dropped. Absolutely no one, saw a defeat at home to bottom of the league coming. Sunderland was an absolute freak result, that happens once every blue moon (going a goal and a man down in the first half).

If we would have beaten Sunderland it would be 7 out of 9 and the result at Stoke today would have looked very solid. But I don't think there is anything to be read into the Sunderland match, it was an absolute anomaly, like City being beaten by Cardiff, like Liverpool being beaten by Hull, Arsenal v Villa, Chelsea beaten by Stoke.

To put today into some context, Liverpool (I mention them because they are a direct rival for fourth), have won only one away match since September (5-0 thumping of Spurs). They are up there because they are battering teams below the top 7 at home. For a team going for top four, todays result was par. Sunderland was a double bogey.

My first thoughts too (after the initial relief and swear words of joy). He did all he could to give away a pen. Mental.

You are right, 4 points out of 9 from the matches we have had looks disappointing.

However, it was Sunderland at home that was the bollock dropped. Absolutely no one, saw a defeat at home to bottom of the league coming. Sunderland was an absolute freak result, that happens once every blue moon (going a goal and a man down in the first half).

If we would have beaten Sunderland it would be 7 out of 9 and the result at Stoke today would have looked very solid. But I don't think there is anything to be read into the Sunderland match, it was an absolute anomaly, like City being beaten by Cardiff, like Liverpool being beaten by Hull, Arsenal v Villa, Chelsea beaten by Stoke.

To put today into some context, Liverpool (I mention them because they are a direct rival for fourth), have won only one away match since September (5-0 thumping of Spurs). They are up there because they are battering teams below the top 7 at home. For a team going for top four, todays result was par. Sunderland was a double bogey.

Yeah I know, it is the disappointment factor involved. I also acknowledge that we have been missing several regulars and so and I admit I would have bitten your hand off to be in this position in January from the start of the season! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.