Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many bad signings have Spurs made in the past 8 years?

How many bad ones that cost any appreciable money?

That's what we are up against.

It can be done. Slowly and methodically if need be.

Walsh doesn't bear thinking about. A charlatan at this level is the honest truth.

Let's hope Brands can deliver, if he cannot its more of the same.

Maybe Spurs weren't as cost effective as you might think.
After they sold Bale to Real they bought players like Roberto Soldado who did well at Valencia but apparently only scored 7 goals in two seasons for Spurs, four of which were penalties. They paid 26million for him in 2013. Arguably, Eric Lamela hasn't proved to be value for money either as he cost 30 million six years ago.

It seems like when clubs come into money they act like kids in a sweet shop on pocket money day. We did it, Spurs did it and so did City to an extent and it will be interesting/amusing to see what happens at United regarding expensive transfers in the near future. All I know is that since the arrival of St Marcel we seem to be hugely improved regarding transfers and the difference between him and Walsh is night and day.

Maybe Spurs weren't as cost effective as you might think.
After they sold Bale to Real they bought players like Roberto Soldado who did well at Valencia but apparently only scored 7 goals in two seasons for Spurs, four of which were penalties. They paid 26million for him in 2013. Arguably, Eric Lamela hasn't proved to be value for money either as he cost 30 million six years ago.

It seems like when clubs come into money they act like kids in a sweet shop on pocket money day. We did it, Spurs did it and so did City to an extent and it will be interesting/amusing to see what happens at United regarding expensive transfers in the near future. All I know is that since the arrival of St Marcel we seem to be hugely improved regarding transfers and the difference between him and Walsh is night and day.

They have had flops and poor signings for sure, but not many recently. I think the thing is learning from mistakes. We had a disastrous period under Koeman and Walsh and that has left significant and lasting damage to the financial and footballing health of the club. Hopefully the appointment of Brands has marked an about-turn in how we operate in the transfer market, the early signs are encouraging.

It’s his wages that are the issue mate

The problem I have with beating Walsh in regards to Sandro was that it was seen as a massive coup for us to get him. He had a low buyout clause and had just scored 17 goals in La Liga which is no mean feat. He was reportedly being chased by a number of clubs and we beat them to his signature.

It seems no one could have foreseen just how bad he would be. Hes made 24 appearances this season in La Liga and zero goals. Thats some achievement for a striker. Statistically he should have at least scored one off his backside by now.

Another major problem with the Walsh era - individually the players he signed had performed well for their previous clubs but did they really fit whatever the manager was playing or needed? Seemed like Walsh, Koeman/Allardyce, Kenwright were operating on parallel planes.

They have had flops and poor signings for sure, but not many recently. I think the thing is learning from mistakes. We had a disastrous period under Koeman and Walsh and that has left significant and lasting damage to the financial and footballing health of the club. Hopefully the appointment of Brands has marked an about-turn in how we operate in the transfer market, the early signs are encouraging.

Agree entirely with that.
There is no doubt at all that we will suffer the consequences of the disastrous Koeman/Walsh era for another couple of years at least. Admittedly I thought Sandro might have been good business at the time but whoever sanctioned his wages needs to have a serious word with themselves.

It seems no one could have foreseen just how bad he would be. Hes made 24 appearances this season in La Liga and zero goals. Thats some achievement for a striker. Statistically he should have at least scored one off his backside by now.
Considering he was basically chief scout with many years scouting experience, shouldn’t he have at least done a bit more research on him?

Fair enough, however did he warrant the wages offered to him?
think it was put all the eggs in one basket moment, He was highly rated at the time and "reports" of Barca sniffing around him again so they probably just piled the money on to get the deal sorted because it looked a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.