Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow

Attachments

• IMG-20190618-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20190618-WA0017.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 144
A strong DOF should have been advising the manager against poor signings. Under his watch we still signed:

Bolasie
Schneiderlin
Williams
Valencia
Martina
Klaasenn
Rooney
Sandro
Tosun
Walcott
Mangala

I don’t for a second think they were all his signings (most have that fat blert Koeman all over them) but at some point he obviously forged a strategy with Koeman to go for experienced prem players like Bolasie and Williams and pay the fees they paid.

It was the wrong strategy, and the wrong players, so he definitely apportions some of the blame.

As for the ‘successful’ buys, and the one sthe jury is still out on:

Pickford
Keane
Gueye
Siggurdson
Lookman
Vlasic

The expensive players from there have proven their worth just about. Vlasic and Lookman have talent but don’t seem to have the character to win over Silva. Gueye has arguably been the best value for money of the lot.

I still suspect that Koeman was the bigger part of the problem - if you look at some of the players we were linked with under Walsh, a lot of them have gone on to be really successful in the last year or two

Ferland Mendy
Ishak Belfodil
Duvan Zapata
Malang Sarr
etc etc

I appreciate the lines are blurred as far as culpability on players goes given we know that neither Walsh nor Koeman had overall say (and you can probably blame Moshiri for that - our first iteration of the DoF model was appallingly implemented), but to me Koeman gets off too lightly in this whole debate. There's enough evidence to suggest that Walsh could spot a player, but as a Director of Football, he didn't appear to be suited. More of a head scout.

I still suspect that Koeman was the bigger part of the problem - if you look at some of the players we were linked with under Walsh, a lot of them have gone on to be really successful in the last year or two

Ferland Mendy
Ishak Belfodil
Duvan Zapata
Malang Sarr
etc etc

I appreciate the lines are blurred as far as culpability on players goes given we know that neither Walsh nor Koeman had overall say (and you can probably blame Moshiri for that - our first iteration of the DoF model was appallingly implemented), but to me Koeman gets off too lightly in this whole debate. There's enough evidence to suggest that Walsh could spot a player, but as a Director of Football, he didn't appear to be suited. More of a head scout.
Pure rumours though, also it can swing the other way, he wanted to spend big money on the likes of kone at Sunderland and the big lad up top at Cardiff who was utter pony. The mans a fraud

Pure rumours though, also it can swing the other way, he wanted to spend big money on the likes of kone at Sunderland and the big lad up top at Cardiff who was utter pony. The mans a fraud

Yep, I'd forgotten about those two TBF

Again though, given we know that Koeman had at least an equal say in transfers, I think Walsh appears to be shouldering more than his fair share of the blame

Status
Not open for further replies.