Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The appointment of Walsh as DoF has two purposes as I see it - (i) is obviously to assist and make use of his network to bring some players straight into the first team squad, players who comfortably can play in the first XI, and (ii) much more interestingly will be to set a framework and process in place that will allow us to buy players and develop them to be sold for profit - similar, but on a larger scale to the model deployed for example by Peterborough United under Barry Fry who year in year out make profits on player trading.

Whilst we don't have to worry about accumulated losses, it's clear that once we do spend in the transfer market, our profitability in future years will be hit by much higher player amortisation charges and the increase in our wage bill. Profitable player trading not only trims the amortisation losses but assists in the struggle to stay within STCC constraints.

It's the onset of a degree of professionalism within the business that Everton have not witnessed before.

As a total aside, I'll be interested when viewing the 2016/17 accounts (released towards end of 2017) as to how other operating costs fare versus OOC under the previous administration.

Hes worked at all levels of football, from the very bottom and now the very top of his "trade".

Of course some aspects he will be unfamiliar with, but he knows football on all levels, he knows the game and hes got loads and loads of help at the club, he wont be doing it all on his own. Pretty sure the club has seen his CV and pretty sure they know what he can and cant do.

If hes out his depth, which I very much doubt, he wont last long, personally I think the fella will be good for us, hes held in very regard by lots of people in the game.

You've really put the research hours in since first learning of his existence about 3 weeks ago.

Respect due.

The appointment of Walsh as DoF has two purposes as I see it - (i) is obviously to assist and make use of his network to bring some players straight into the first team squad, players who comfortably can play in the first XI, and (ii) much more interestingly will be to set a framework and process in place that will allow us to buy players and develop them to be sold for profit - similar, but on a larger scale to the model deployed for example by Peterborough United under Barry Fry who year in year out make profits on player trading.

Whilst we don't have to worry about accumulated losses, it's clear that once we do spend in the transfer market, our profitability in future years will be hit by much higher player amortisation charges and the increase in our wage bill. Profitable player trading not only trims the amortisation losses but assists in the struggle to stay within STCC constraints.

It's the onset of a degree of professionalism within the business that Everton have not witnessed before.

As a total aside, I'll be interested when viewing the 2016/17 accounts (released towards end of 2017) as to how other operating costs fare versus OPC under the previous administration.
A few weeks ago you were saying we were rich beyond our wildest dreams and going to the top, now we are going to become a club that develops players and sells them on! Top clubs don't develop players for bigger clubs, they keep them.

Hes worked at all levels of football, from the very bottom and now the very top of his "trade".

Of course some aspects he will be unfamiliar with, but he knows football on all levels, he knows the game and hes got loads and loads of help at the club, he wont be doing it all on his own. Pretty sure the club has seen his CV and pretty sure they know what he can and cant do.

If hes out his depth, which I very much doubt, he wont last long, personally I think the fella will be good for us, hes held in very regard by lots of people in the game.

Im pretty sure I said I dont know anything about the fella.

I'm pretty sure you didn't.

I'm pretty sure you didn't.

As ive said, its the fellas job to sign footballers, its only a positive for me.

Koeman isnt a moron, Moshiri knows his football between them they will sign us good players.

Very positive for me.

Im still not gonna pretend I know anything about the fella, time will judge his overall appointment, but my feelings currently are great news, get out there Steve lad and sign some footballers.

Cos a week ago you thought he was a big lanky CB.

Cos we have no idea who hes found, what hes done.

Good move I think, im not gonna pretend I know anything about him, but he knows the scouting game and hes what we need, time will judge his appointment, until then we should be happy, his job is to look for players, we will sign players!!!!!!!!!!!

Sit doggy before I take you for walkies.

A few weeks ago you were saying we were rich beyond our wildest dreams and going to the top, now we are going to become a club that develops players and sells them on! Top clubs don't develop players for bigger clubs, they keep them.

We have access to as much funding as the DOF/manager wants that's not the issue. It's not a question of not having the resources it is a question of staying inside the regulations which limit wage increases. My point is that a highly effective DoF can use player trading to assist compliance with STCC without necessarily affecting the ability to pay the highest wages.

It doesn't make us a selling club in the old way of looking at things, it makes player trading a profit centre which enhances our ability to grow our wage bill.

We have access to as much funding as the DOF/manager wants that's not the issue. It's not a question of not having the resources it is a question of staying inside the regulations which limit wage increases. My point is that a highly effective DoF can use player trading to assist compliance with STCC without necessarily affecting the ability to pay the highest wages.

It doesn't make us a selling club in the old way of looking at things, it makes player trading a profit centre which enhances our ability to grow our wage bill.

i.e. regardless of player trading

Everton retains the strongest possible squad by retaining the best players

turning over those that don't make the Everton grade

Ya, this is ridiculous logic... thats why that club that Hal Robson Kanu doesn't play for is doing so well in the premier league.

How did Leicester players take their countries in the semis and finals. What about Chelsea? United? Liverpool?

Walsh is a great acquisition but that rest of that post is a bit mad tbf...
The difference is that Leicester players on the whole didn't cost that much. Emre Can played well. Tony Martial didn't play at all, which was beyond me.
I have to say that kanu and other non-PL was brilliant, so what is the deficit in signing someone similar for a season or two ? IF they work out, wonderful, if not, they get cut. Its not like you'll be hung out to dry with a multi year disaster with someone like Niasse.

See FC, Chelsea and FC, City.

As a total aside, I'll be interested when viewing the 2016/17 accounts (released towards end of 2017) as to how other operating costs fare versus OOC under the previous administration.

I wholeheatedly agree with this analysis ( for which I think he is very well qualified ) - I just don't see him having responsibility for other technical aspects of football development traditionally associated with DoF role

Correct.
See Chelsea and how they churn players particularly young players

Status
Not open for further replies.