Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

...come on folks, this thread had slipped off page 1.

We know about our abysmal transfer policy and how it’s resulted in an unbalanced squad as well as recent expensive acquisitions getting little or no game time but I want to mention the decision to send a couple of players out on loan.

We struggled for much of the season with right midfield. With Coleman suffering a long-term injury there was an obvious lack of creativity and threat on that side with only the likes of Aaron Lennon an option. England Youth had just won a World Cup with Kenny and Dowell on the right side, the two had formed a very strong partnership over many years. An effective blend, Dowell also offered creativity and would have weighed in with goals. Given our injury situation, I can’t believe Walsh allowed Dowell to go on loan. He might have been untested at Premier level but pre-season was an indication he was as good as we had at the club. It was folly, it was ludicrous.

Baines is fragile, it was certain he’d struggle to play a full season. With Garbutt out and not prospering in the lower leagues, the transfer policy was to buy a CB who can play LB. if you need a CB, buy a CB. If you need a LB, buy a LB. Antonee Robinson is a conventional LB and part of the U23 league winning side. Connolly is a versatile player, who covered at LB in that England youth squad that won the youth World Cup. When Connolly went to Ipswich on loan, it was clear to me that Robinson would be Baines back-up, but no, Robinson went to Bolton on loan. When Baines succumbed to the anticipated injury we had to play a back up RB at LB. It was folly that they both went on loan. It was ludicrous.

Dowell, Robinson and Connolly all had successful loan spells in the Championship, especially considering it was their first experience of competitive open age football. Two of those could have had a reasonable amount of game time for Everton this season. I’m convinced the team would’ve been more effective had they been involved. We’d certainly have known if they have a long-term future with us.

Amazing decision to send them out on loan given the anticipated shortfall we were likely to have. Be interesting to know what Walsh’s reasoning was.

...come on folks, this thread had slipped off page 1.

We know about our abysmal transfer policy and how it’s resulted in an unbalanced squad as well as recent expensive acquisitions getting little or no game time but I want to mention the decision to send a couple of players out on loan.

We struggled for much of the season with right midfield. With Coleman suffering a long-term injury there was an obvious lack of creativity and threat on that side with only the likes of Aaron Lennon an option. England Youth had just won a World Cup with Kenny and Dowell on the right side, the two had formed a very strong partnership over many years. An effective blend, Dowell also offered creativity and would have weighed in with goals. Given our injury situation, I can’t believe Walsh allowed Dowell to go on loan. He might have been untested at Premier level but pre-season was an indication he was as good as we had at the club. It was folly, it was ludicrous.

Baines is fragile, it was certain he’d struggle to play a full season. With Garbutt out and not prospering in the lower leagues, the transfer policy was to buy a CB who can play LB. if you need a CB, buy a CB. If you need a LB, buy a LB. Antonee Robinson is a conventional LB and part of the U23 league winning side. Connolly is a versatile player, who covered at LB in that England youth squad that won the youth World Cup. When Connolly went to Ipswich on loan, it was clear to me that Robinson would be Baines back-up, but no, Robinson went to Bolton on loan. When Baines succumbed to the anticipated injury we had to play a back up RB at LB. It was folly that they both went on loan. It was ludicrous.

Dowell, Robinson and Connolly all had successful loan spells in the Championship, especially considering it was their first experience of competitive open age football. Two of those could have had a reasonable amount of game time for Everton this season. I’m convinced the team would’ve been more effective had they been involved. We’d certainly have known if they have a long-term future with us.

Amazing decision to send them out on loan given the anticipated shortfall we were likely to have. Be interesting to know what Walsh’s reasoning was.

The worrying thing was eggs that I don't think he could even give you an answer or reasoning behind those decisions. Same as not registering Niasse for the Europa League when it was blatantly obvious we were badly short up top heading into the season.

Connolly would have been very useful this season, either as a left back or right back or centre mid

The worrying thing was eggs that I don't think he could even give you an answer or reasoning behind those decisions. Same as not registering Niasse for the Europa League when it was blatantly obvious we were badly short up top heading into the season.

Connolly would have been very useful this season, either as a left back or right back or centre mid
IIRC we actually registered Connolly for the group stages of the EL despite the fact he'd gone out on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.