Stake. Com

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a few aspects to that.

Firstly, there's a difference being disappointed with the sponsorship and 'kicking off' about it, which I addressed in my own post. I would rather we didn't do this but I believe it would be hypocritical of me to make a big fuss about it, because I've never complained about gambling ads on billboards at the ground, or the betting kiosks in the stands, or the fact that the league we were very close to spending next season in is sponsored by a gambling company or any of the other myriad of things that link football and gambling. If you have then that's genuinely great and I applaud you for your stance. If you haven't then for me personally this particular sponsorship being seen as completely unacceptable doesn't really make an awful lot of sense.

What should and shouldn't be advertised is a moral maze. I'm vegan, so personally I don't like the normalisation of the meat and dairy industry at events kids go to, but it isn't illegal and if Everton were sponsored by McDonalds or whatever then once again I wouldn't like it but i'd just accept that they were looking out for themselves and not thinking of my sensibilities. Whether someone like Standard Chartered who've made it almost a personal crusade in recent years to breach trade sanctions and fail to comply with financial regulations would be a morally superior sponsor I don't know either.

Finally, what reputational damage is there really? Virtually half the teams we shared a pitch with last year were sponsored by gambling companies, and almost every game we played in had gambling ads round the pitch. There've been some hatchet jobs this week in the media but the reality is there's pretty much no reputational damage in the grand scheme of things. If we really were some sort of anti-establishment club who were known around the world for our moral stance then it would be different but we're absolutely not that, so this idea of irreparable damage to the brand just seems like straw clutching to me.
There's no right or wrong to this, just opinions and preferences (and of course regulations - I suspect this will all be moot shortly as gambling ads in sport are going to be banned by the government sooner or later).

I think there is reputational damage, however, at least in the short term. Some of that is self-inflicted, DBB's comments after the SportPesa fiasco have certainly given the popular press an angle on this story, but I think even without that a club with our history signing up with a gambling firm (a tax-haven based, crypto gambling firm that you cannot legally place a bet with from the UK, no less) at a time when that is very much on the political agenda was always going to result in some splashback. It will likely be short lived (I don't conform to this idea that there is an anti-Everton media conspiracy) and the news cycle will move on but I'd still rather we didn't do it.

There's no right or wrong to this, just opinions and preferences (and of course regulations - I suspect this will all be moot shortly as gambling ads in sport are going to be banned by the government sooner or later).

I think there is reputational damage, however, at least in the short term. Some of that is self-inflicted, DBB's comments after the SportPesa fiasco have certainly given the popular press an angle on this story, but I think even without that a club with our history signing up with a gambling firm (a tax-haven based, crypto gambling firm that you cannot legally place a bet with from the UK, no less) at a time when that is very much on the political agenda was always going to result in some splashback. It will likely be short lived (I don't conform to this idea that there is an anti-Everton media conspiracy) and the news cycle will move on but I'd still rather we didn't do it.
I agree with that, and like I say I’d rather we didn’t do it too.

I think the majority of people who are sticking up for it are doing so because we absolutely do need the money. I'd rather us not be sponsored by a gambling firm but i'd be a massive hypocrite to kick off about it because I have the occasional bet myself, just like I also drink alcohol and do numerous other things that for some people would be morally/ethically dubious. The reality is that we play in a competition which is very much in bed with gambling and alcohol, and in which most clubs (ourselves included) have ties to some very dodgy people. Just deciding that this particular sponsorship is an outrage makes absolutely no sense in that context, but as you rightly say, lots of people are idiots so it's no great surprise.
As a foreigner I'm a little surprised at the near-universal distaste for the idea of gambling firm sponsorships. Personally, I tend to agree I guess. But for as long as I've watched the prem gambling has featured and was intertwined with broadcasts, the clubs, the media entities reporting on the clubs. It showed up in stadiums and next-to-pitch advertising, etc. So what's changed (if anything)? Just a renewed anti-gambling focus domestically?

As fans you mean? I can understand that, that it might be a bit embarrassing for grown men who've been trying to point score by taking the moral ground about their football team, but for me that's probably one of the upsides of the deal if it's happening. I don't think the club have really done that though.

Yes fans mate. Just peoples unease.

mistake.jpg

The People's Club shirt sponsor offering people $10 if they've gambled $5k over the past 7 days.

I'm fully employed in the crypto industry, I have been for 18 months.

Things like crypto gambling just makes me sick, they use crypto as a means to bypass a number of regulations.

Shady to say the least

Who’s surprised?

They’re a horrible company (like all betting companies), but these are a different level.

We were never turning down £10m a year sadly. The quicker Gambling advertisement of any form is cancelled will be a good day.

They're growing fast Stake, so I can understand from a commercial point of view why the club found the deal to be quite lucrative. The celebrity endorsement in the 'states in particular is becoming more and more evident. I can understand why fans aren't particularly happy with the nature of the business though..

Why are so many people in their replies moaning about missing out on $10 when the requirement is $5,000 wagered in the last 7 days and 'Total Drop Limit: $25,000' - whatever that means?

They tweeted this a few minutes ago and people are complaining they missed out;

Imagine betting that much money.

It's no good, that.

Would anyone really wager 5k to get a tenner?

Status
Not open for further replies.