Squad rebuild 50% complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our problem is if we continue to finish mid-table or 7th and 8th then the better players we have are more likely to want pastures new. It is a vicious circle. We are still not in a position to get the choice of players we need. This is why it is crucial to take advantage of the floundering top 6 teams such as Man Utd, Arsenal possibly Chelsea and maybe Spurs at the moment but we have floundered more than them. We have to crack the top 6 somehow and if we do then our chance of better players increase. Until then we will be up against it keeping our better players.

Which makes it even more important to get in the players we need every single window + offload dross every single window.

No time to waste...

Ok so where is the cash coming from selling so many players?

Do you expect us to be spending over 100 million every summer to replace them all? I mean half a squad isn't cheap
The ways sales usually work is that another club pays the selling club a fee for the player. So I know this sounds crazy. But the cash comes from a buying club.

Again, they don't need replacing.

I thought that was a very simple post. Man.

In light of the recent criticisms of Brands / Silva I feel that we should look again at the number of players still needing to be offloaded.

The players whose contracts should be assessed (in my view) are Gibson / Sidibe / Keane / Kenny / Bernard. The rest of them I believe will be gone over the next 4 windows:

Stekelenburg
Martina
Niasse
Baines
Gibson
Sidibe (loan expiry)

Walcott
Schneiderlin
Besic
Sandro
Bolasie
Dowell
Pennington
Connolly

Lossl
Keane
Sigurdsson
Holgate
Coleman
Tosun
Delph
Baningime
Bernard
Kenny

Over the next 2.5 seasons there are 24 players whose contracts (unless extended) will be leaving the club.

Of those 24 players only 5 or 6 I feel have any chance of getting extensions.

Out of the remaining 18 or 19 players, lets say 14/15 of them will be departing having been on 1st team squad wages.

If we actually look at the current size of our squad without those 14/15 players;

GK
Pickford
Virginia

RB
Sidibe
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Mina
Keane
Gibson

CM
Davies
Gbamin
Gomes

AM
Richarlison
Bernard
Iwobi

CF
Kean
Calvert-Lewin

Even some of the 16 above players may not be kept on, so it shows how much of a job Brands and Silva still have on their hands.

If we actually drill down further, these are the players who have shown consistently (in my opinion),or it is expected that they can stay in the squad over a long term period:

GK - Pickford
RB -
LB - Digne
CB - Mina
DM - Gbamin
CM - Davies / Gomes
AM - Iwobi / Richarlison / Bernard
CF - Kean / DCL

Arguably thats 11 players 'expected' to be in Brands / Silvas plans for the long term.

So, in defence of the management I would urge patience when claiming that the manager has 'his' squad or even 'his' team.

That is clearly not the case.

Over the last 3 windows we are about 50% through the squad rebuild.

It is my view that we will be able to see great strides made at the end of summer 2021 with the full effects of the rebuild in 2022.

Our goal over this period should be to finish 7th and above and push for a cup win. Any higher than that and we will be over performing and any closer to having 5 new long term players in the first team squad per season will also be over performing.

We will need to be patient.

Amazing how things can change from October to Jan...these look like possible mid-long term squad players:

GK
Pickford

RB
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Holgate
Mina
Gibson

CM
Gomes
Gbamin
Davies

AM
Bernard
Iwobi
Gordon

CF
Richarlison
DCL
Kean

From the 11 players 'expected' to be kept on mid-long term we now seem to have 15 players.

Brands wants:

23 players
3 Goalkeepers
8 Defenders
6 Midfielders
6 Forwards

Interesting to see who he classes as forwards/midfielders...

@Zatara You can't really say the squad rebuild is 50% complete as you are assuming that Carlo rates all the players that are here now. None of us know what he thinks about them, he seems to like DCL but we have no idea what he thinks about any of the others or who he wants to build his team around

Amazing how things can change from October to Jan...these look like possible mid-long term squad players:

GK
Pickford

RB
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Holgate
Mina
Gibson

CM
Gomes
Gbamin
Davies

AM
Bernard
Iwobi
Gordon

CF
Richarlison
DCL
Kean

From the 11 players 'expected' to be kept on mid-long term we now seem to have 15 players.

Brands wants:

23 players
3 Goalkeepers
8 Defenders
6 Midfielders
6 Forwards

Didn't he say that Carlo is moving to 4 4 2? I'd have thought that would mean 8 midfielders and 4 forwards, if they were looking for cover/competition for each position? Although I suppose it depends on where you put the likes of Bernard or Walcott etc?

@Zatara You can't really say the squad rebuild is 50% complete as you are assuming that Carlo rates all the players that are here now. None of us know what he thinks about them, he seems to like DCL but we have no idea what he thinks about any of the others or who he wants to build his team around

He started this thread before Carlo even came in mate.

Didn't he say that Carlo is moving to 4 4 2? I'd have thought that would mean 8 midfielders and 4 forwards, if they were looking for cover/competition for each position? Although I suppose it depends on where you put the likes of Bernard or Walcott etc?
He started this thread before Carlo even came in mate.

A: Its an old thread ive resurrected. Really just counting the likely players we could keep in the squad mid-long term based on numbers only and perceived ability.

B: The post today included amended player list + Brands' ideal numbers in GK/DF/MF/FW positions to total 23.

Long story short is i think we have 15 players so need 8 more (including 2 GKs)...of which 6 are outfield players.

Not too bad really.

A: Its an old thread ive resurrected. Really just counting the likely players we could keep in the squad mid-long term based on numbers only and perceived ability.

B: The post today included amended player list + Brands' ideal numbers in GK/DF/MF/FW positions to total 23.

Long story short is i think we have 15 players so need 8 more (including 2 GKs)...of which 6 are outfield players.

Not too bad really.

It does look a bit better once you think of 8 spread over 2 or 3 windows rather than trying to do it all at once, which never really seems to work.

My hope is that some of those players whose contracts are slowly winding down can be moved on ahead of schedule, maybe with some cash to adjust salaries etc. The fewer players who are just marking time the better.

In light of the recent criticisms of Brands / Silva I feel that we should look again at the number of players still needing to be offloaded.

The players whose contracts should be assessed (in my view) are Gibson / Sidibe / Keane / Kenny / Bernard. The rest of them I believe will be gone over the next 4 windows:

Stekelenburg
Martina
Niasse
Baines
Gibson
Sidibe (loan expiry)

Walcott
Schneiderlin
Besic
Sandro
Bolasie
Dowell
Pennington
Connolly

Lossl
Keane
Sigurdsson
Holgate
Coleman
Tosun
Delph
Baningime
Bernard
Kenny

Over the next 2.5 seasons there are 24 players whose contracts (unless extended) will be leaving the club.

Out of the remaining 18 or 19 players, lets say 14/15 of them will be departing having been on 1st team squad wages.

If we actually look at the current size of our squad without those 14/15 players;

GK
Pickford
Virginia

RB
Sidibe
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Mina
Keane
Gibson

CM
Davies
Gbamin
Gomes

AM
Richarlison
Bernard
Iwobi

CF
Kean
Calvert-Lewin

Even some of the 16 above players may not be kept on, so it shows how much of a job Brands and Silva still have on their hands.

If we actually drill down further, these are the players who have shown consistently (in my opinion),or it is expected that they can stay in the squad over a long term period:

GK - Pickford
RB -
LB - Digne
CB - Mina
DM - Gbamin
CM - Davies / Gomes
CF - Kean / DCL

Arguably thats 11 players 'expected' to be in Brands / Silvas plans for the long term.

So, in defence of the management I would urge patience when claiming that the manager has 'his' squad or even 'his' team.

It is my view that we will be able to see great strides made at the end of summer 2021 with the full effects of the rebuild in 2022.

Our goal over this period should be to finish 7th and above and push for a cup win. Any higher than that and we will be over performing and any closer to having 5 new long term players in the first team squad per season will also be over performing.

Should try and spend your time doing something more useful, like boiling ya head.

To be fair mate he made this thread in October when Silva was still here.

To be fair mate he made this thread in October when Silva was still here.
yeah i am aware of that but he is still assuming that Carlo wants the players that are here at the moment (he mentions 15 players and we need 8 more), i don't think anyone knows, watching him on the touchline he seems to get pretty wound up by a fair few of them, i think there might be some surprise departures in the summer aside from the expected ones.

Stekelenburg
Martina
Niasse
Baines
Gibson
Sidibe (loan expiry)

Walcott
Schneiderlin
Besic
Sandro
Bolasie
Dowell
Pennington
Connolly

Lossl
Keane
Sigurdsson
Holgate
Coleman
Tosun
Delph
Baningime
Bernard
Kenny

GK
Pickford
Virginia

RB
Sidibe
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Mina
Keane
Gibson

CM
Davies
Gbamin
Gomes

AM
Richarlison
Bernard
Iwobi

CF
Kean
Calvert-Lewin

GK - Pickford
RB -
LB - Digne
CB - Mina
DM - Gbamin
CM - Davies / Gomes
CF - Kean / DCL

Nice chunk of the wage bill gone in 2021.

GK
Pickford

RB
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Holgate
Mina
Gibson

CM
Gomes
Gbamin
Davies

AM
Bernard
Iwobi
Gordon

CF
Richarlison
DCL
Kean

Brands wants:

23 players
3 Goalkeepers
8 Defenders
6 Midfielders
6 Forwards

To that list you can add Coleman, Keane, Walcott,Lossl who will be kept on as part of the squad.
This would mean that we would have maybe four or five players to add to build a very strong team and squad.

We are not going to sign nine or ten players in 2020, we simply could not afford that . It is better to keep the four listed in the squad as we will not get back anything close to what we paid for Keane and Walcott and concentrate on bringing in better quality players.
Hopefully, there will be a player or two from the academy pushing through as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.