Spending on strikers

Status
Not open for further replies.
ha, this made me laugh when it should have made me cry

That's why I laugh when people are surprised they sit above us in the league most seasons

Since 92 we have spent 266m on transfers

Since 2010/11 Liverpool have spent 240m

The fact we are within touching distance most seasons is a testament to the 11 years under Moyes

Since the appointment of Walter Smith it's been this:

Traore LOAN
Kone 5m
Lukaku LOAN
Naismith FREE
Jelavic 4m
Donovan LOAN
Stracqualursi LOAN
Vellios NOMINAL
Beckford FREE
Jo LOAN
Saha FREE
Yakubu 11.25m
Jutkiewicz 1m
Johnson 8.6m
Spencer NOMINAL
Beattie 6m
Bent NOMINAL
Jeffers LOAN
McFadden 1.25m
McBride LOAN
Radzinski 4.5m
Ferguson 3.75m
Max-Moore FREE
Campbell 3m
Bakayoko 4.5m

So since Yak in 2007, we've spent less than 10million on strikers. Previous to this we paid reasonable fees for strikers at the time, not huge but clear investment in the top end of the pitch. We know that we've never really spent any money under Kenwright, and there have been explanations of why the signings dried up in general, but why the move away from signing strikers?

Good thread. The reason is that we're skint and due to the lack of European football the last 5 years we've even less money. But still your analysis neatly shows the dramatic lack of ambition. We've always known we need a 20-goal striker, but we're not hunting one.

Support for Kenwright will truly dwindle if we don't splash out this summer.

Strikers are expensive.
We dont have any money
Any decent striker we buy turns to gash after 6 months.
Therefore we should only load strikers 6 months at a time.
Not even joking.

We need a £20m rated striker - either Rom or someone else. Either way it's a position that needs addressing urgently.

We need a £20m rated striker - either Rom or someone else. Either way it's a position that needs addressing urgently.

Its needed addressing for an age

Lets say he has 25m to spend (Bare with me Ive sniffed a tonne of glue)

He can't blow 20 of that on one player, He needs 4-5 players at least, That's the difference with us and the teams above

Its needed addressing for an age

Lets say he has 25m to spend (Bare with me Ive sniffed a tonne of glue)

He can't blow 20 of that on one player, He needs 4-5 players at least, That's the difference with us and the teams above
I'd still be happy if he spent the majority of that on one European class striker. I said this yesterday but we need a front man who is capable of dropping off and making things happen rather than just waiting for the perfect through ball time and again, someone in the (ugh) Suarez mould.

I'd still be happy if he spent the majority of that on one European class striker. I said this yesterday but we need a front man who is capable of dropping off and making things happen rather than just waiting for the perfect through ball time and again, someone in the (ugh) Suarez mould.

Spends 20m on a striker and blows his budget on one player

That player gets a long term injury

Not the best of plans

Problem is if we spend 20mil on Rom that will probably be our entire budget and we're still in the same situation as this year.

As Del says we need 2 of them really. The loans have papered over the cracks so I worry next year when most will leave

Status
Not open for further replies.