Specific moments you wrote us off as relegated

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 when we got beat by Arsenal away and Bolton got ahead of us by a point beating Palace 5-2, with one game left.

In fact, the home capitulation to Sheff Wed the game before Arsenal we looked down. A clueless outfit meekly heading for the drop.

1998 when we got beat by Arsenal away and Bolton got ahead of us by a point beating Palace 5-2, with one game left.

In fact, the home capitulation to Sheff Wed the game before Arsenal we looked down. A clueless outfit meekly heading for the drop.
I was 11 at the time, and I remember being terrified of Chelsea v Bolton when Chelsea had a cup winners cup final a few days later. It was completely out of our hands. At least last season it was in our hands.

The Wimbledon game is so long ago I have suppressed how I felt but I thought we had a chance when we went in at HT only 2-1 down.
I did think we would go down before the Coventry game…I felt the mood outside the ground before the game was one of resignation to the inevitable…the mood changed once everyone took their seats for kick off though.
Losing at Burnley 3-2 was a real downer and I did think we were goners then particularly with the games we had left to play…what do I know!

The one constant through all of these episodes has been the defiance and sheer bloody mindedness of Evertonians to get their club over the line…amazing support.

97/98. We needed to beat Sheff Wed at home to pretty much guarantee survival with two games left - the others around us all had tough games. But no, we lost 1-4 , Di Canio tortured us and not only that all the teams around us won which meant we where right back in the Jurgen Plopp.

Remember thinking we could be in big trouble here , we had Arsenal away next week who won the league that season.

Arsenal beat us 4-0 away to seal the title. They were on another level completely and it left us in the bottom 3 going into the last day. Really felt we were doomed after that.

It meant it was between us and Bolton on the last day to go down. We had Coventry at home the week after and Bolton were at Chelsea who where in the CWC Final so the worry was that Chelsea would go easy …. Thankfully they didn’t and we survived but god that two week period was horrible , I was convinced we were going.

I’ve just posted literally the same, didn’t see this post, could have saved myself some typing!

Good god imagine if Howard would have took us down, devastating

Weirdly, we had 15 points after 8 games that season.
Yep remember Howard jibbing it after a 1-0 home win v Southampton in early December then we went on a textbook 'Everton misery Christmas' under poor old caretaker Jimmy Gabriel.
Got Walker in - beat Swindon 6-2 then spiralled for the remainder of the season.

The Wimbledon game is so long ago I have suppressed how I felt but I thought we had a chance when we went in at HT only 2-1 down.
I did think we would go down before the Coventry game…I felt the mood outside the ground before the game was one of resignation to the inevitable…the mood changed once everyone took their seats for kick off though.
Losing at Burnley 3-2 was a real downer and I did think we were goners then particularly with the games we had left to play…what do I know!

The one constant through all of these episodes has been the defiance and sheer bloody mindedness of Evertonians to get their club over the line…amazing support.
Limpars "dive" for the penalty (what's one of them?😉🤣)at 2-0 was critical,I can still see big Nev striding forward to take it before Stuart took the responsibility,thank Christ he slotted,changed the whole dynamic for the team and crowd.

2 times for me stand out.

After Burnley scored 2 late on to beat Watford. I've never been as gutted as this at another teams result. I stopped looking at Flashscore on 80 minutes for my blood pressure and then clocked the score at full time.

View attachment 240705

View attachment 240706

... we had Chelsea at home and Leicester away after that result which thank god we won.

... and another time was when Leicester got this penalty. We were brilliant in that first half, a fluke equaliser for them and Vardy capitalising on a Iwobi mistake had us very harshly trailing but was about to go into the break 3-1 down - Maddison scores this and that was curtains IMO.

So times you had us down as relegated?

When Leicester went 1-0 up while we were still 0-0. That’s the only time.

I knew we’d beat Wimbledon and Palace event when 2-0 down.

I was 11 at the time, and I remember being terrified of Chelsea v Bolton when Chelsea had a cup winners cup final a few days later. It was completely out of our hands. At least last season it was in our hands.
And Bolton having a few chances to equalise late on, all of Stamford Bridge cheering them all til Chelsea got a late breakaway goal. Terrifying

Status
Not open for further replies.