Match Thread Southampton vs Everton - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything apart from our attacking options are fine

Gray and McNeil are terrible, their decision making is beyond bad
I think Gray has done well. Been a promising half. Maybe bringing on Gordon for mcneil second half could help us and also bringing on Kyle John

We are so dominant in midfield, I wonder if a Garner is worth a go (instead of Onana). Someone that can hopefully find a pass in the final third to unlock this fairly mediocre defence.

I'd also bring on Gordon for McNeil fairly early on, there's been a number of times Iwobi has managed to switch play quickly and instead of taking advantage with pace it grinds to a halt at the feet of McNeil. I worry he's too limited to be effective, but some of his deliveries have been decent. Maybe be an effective player when we have DCL back.

For McNeil to be a player he has to try to do what guys like Ziyech and James do on that right wing. He has none of the craft and only a fraction of the positional sense. He's garbage if he's taking players on as often as he has today.

I think he might have the natural technique to be somewhat better at this but the problem is he's not exactly young and new to this and he's got none of it right now.

Fair assessment. But by the end of the window, he looked completely at odds with what we went for. Stamina, grit, athleticism and self confidence in all our other buys. If he had raw pace it would make sense. He has a good touch and is clearly not a terrible technician but he possesses no outstanding attributes other than an alleged wand.

Looks like when we bought an alleged set piece wizard in GS and then never ever scored again from a direct free kick or any of his terrible corners.
Good defender. It feels like he has all of the package except what teams pay for at the position.

Still young, so there's that.

Fair assessment. But by the end of the window, he looked completely at odds with what we went for. Stamina, grit, athleticism and self confidence in all our other buys. If he had raw pace it would make sense. He has a good touch and is clearly not a terrible technician but he possesses no outstanding attributes other than an alleged wand.

Looks like when we bought an alleged set piece wizard in GS and then never ever scored again from a direct free kick or any of his terrible corners.
Oh, listen, I’m putting an optimistic spin on it for sure. Objectively he stands out like a sore thumb amongst our signings; the fact he was rumoured to be a target before FL and KT ever showed up might hint at it being a Moshiri move, I’ve no idea.

Iwobi is a good example, though, of a player who looked lost in our squad and had his strengths emphasised, coming through it better for the experience. I’m hoping (rather than expecting) he’ll come somewhat good with a bit of coaching and immersion in our increasingly tight-knit squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.