Match Thread Southampton v Everton Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting game and i really have no idea how it will go or even how lampard will approach it.
Southampton under hassenhuttl seem to have phases of really good and really poor. Going through a good phase at the moment.
Lots of back slapping after leeds. Can some of these players be consistent even in two games? They havent in the past.
Tough game.

Interesting game and i really have no idea how it will go or even how lampard will approach it.
Southampton under hassenhuttl seem to have phases of really good and really poor. Going through a good phase at the moment.
Lots of back slapping after leeds. Can some of these players be consistent even in two games? They havent in the past.
Tough game.
It is true that they have these phases and they really do snap from being good to bad in a moment. In a good phase recently so hope they snap out of it Saturday ;)

Don't get bogged down with trying to play through the lines like we did v Newcastle, as S'ton are one of the best pressing teams in the competition when they get it right.

Go a bit more direct, straight to the front line if needs be, for the first part of the match, and look to get VdB in possession in their half

Genuinely expect this game to play into our hands if we get it right.

Got to give full credit to Hassenhuttl and Southampton really, I had them as being a real relegation candidate this year, for various reasons (not the manager though).

They play a quick style of football, and are quite attacking and as we know that suits us. If we can soak up some pressure and play our game we’ve got a good chance, I’m not in fear of Southampton, but acknowledge they’re a good side, so will be a tough one ahead of a tougher game against City.

We need an away win soon, none since our only one in August, next up is Spurs, a ground we seldom win at and they have lost 2 on the spin at home last week meaning the Everton cure is needed for them.

According to the athletic Southampton players have gone down 14 times this season between the 60-70th minute so that they can get a drinks break and have those gels which give you a boost of energy

I will be keeping an eye on their players during that time period

The defence has to be a big concern in this game. Southampton press high and are a very energetic team. Anyone who saw that first half against Spurs saw what they can do against a ponderous back line and midfield. Our passing will have to be much better than it was against Newcastle. They have no pressure on them and are enjoying their football at the moment. I think 2-0 to Southampton. If this is the case we shouldn't get downhearted. Winning away from home is a tough ask in the Premier League, and not something we've done much of, except with no fans which was a statistical blip. If we can win a few home games and scramble some points away from home we'll be fine.

Forget this nonsense. We'll beat these. You lot are still living in the Rafael era all glass half empty and depressed. This is Frankie's era
Totally agree but I’d still be satisfied with a point to be fair.
A win though will set us up for a decent second half of the season and a march up the league!!

Status
Not open for further replies.