Match Thread Southampton v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll...

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
went for Holgate , really chuffed with his recent performances seems to have found a sudden belief in himself , Davies also looking much better than past performances

Ok Southampton are under the cosh , so don't want to get ahead of myself , and we need to put away more of the chances we make , when the equaliser went in I thought Oh No here we go again

No.

It means we want somebody to buy him.
Stranger things have happened and given that we are struggling in that department I would not be surprised to see him in the squad..I take your point about the club wanting to sell him but while Everton are still paying his wages he could possibly be seen as a 20 minute impact player with his nonstop effort and enthusiasm if the chips are down.

I went for Mason, boss to see him back in the defence. He seems so composed sometimes and scares me witless the next.

I went for Mason, boss to see him back in the defence. He seems so composed sometimes and scares me witless the next.
And oddly he looks more of a threat from set pieces than Mina,or maybe just that Mina takes defenders away from him

Seeing TV at normal speed I was a bit nervous because his arm was raised a bit and it was not a shoulder to shoulder contract. On replays I was having kittens because I reckon it would have been given!!! I can only think the video ref thought about our recent injustices and said to himself “it’s only Southampton!”
Seeing that play live anytime before this season that's never a penalty. You see this happen 2 or 3 times a game, when a defender uses his body to shield the attacking player, ushering it out for a goal kick.

If VAR starts messing with that, we'll see penalties constantly

Seeing that play live anytime before this season that's never a penalty. You see this happen 2 or 3 times a game, when a defender uses his body to shield the attacking player, ushering it out for a goal kick.

If VAR starts messing with that, we'll see penalties constantly
Absolutely agree about last season. But this season is chaos!! FWIW the operative word you use is shielding. Meaning getting in front of opponent cleanly and seeing the ball out. Any contact with stuck out arm across the body/upper chest/neck is becoming slightly risky imo because of a combination of exaggerated reactions and incompetent refs.
And if a giant centre back flattens Bernard with an outstretched arm to prevent him making a last ditch attempt at a cross I would expect the players and supporters to shout foul and I would point out that a deliberate arm block with no attempt to play the ball is worth a shout for a foul.
But I agree with your main point. You see similar frequently and they would never be given as fouls or pennos. Lee Mason and co though!!!! Who knows what they might give these days!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.