Match Thread Southampton v Everton. 15th Aug at 12.45.

How worried are you?

• Dead worried

Votes: 107 21.9%
  • Pissed off like

Votes: 134 27.5%
  • Not that arsed

Votes: 51 10.5%
  • I'm a grown adult

Votes: 104 21.3%
  • Shakiri is a pipe little hobbit

Votes: 92 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not long got back from the game, it was a really positive performance and well deserved. Great to see so many of our players wanting to turn and run at the opposition and that made it hard for them to defend against us.

I imagine the difference was we didn't mess around with silly sidewise passing along the back 4 and just played great counter attacking football.
Long passes 40
Short passes 413

Forward passes 259
Square passes 84
Backpasses 6

Passes in defensive third 54
Passes in middle third 242
Passes in final third 157

We played a controlled game from the middle of the park with a lot of short forward passing to get us into good positions.

Long passes 40
Short passes 413

Forward passes 259
Square passes 84
Backpasses 6

Passes in defensive third 54
Passes in middle third 242
Passes in final third 157

We played a controlled game from the middle of the park with a lot of short forward passing to get us into good positions.

We played brilliantly. Not quite time to banish last season, or at least some of it, just yet, but the feelings I had about this team now are like I felt after 3 or 4 games in his first season.

We played brilliantly. Not quite time to banish last season, or at least some of it, just yet, but the feelings I had about this team now are like I felt after 3 or 4 games in his first season.
Funnily enough - and I said so right after the game - I didn't see this as a confirmation of anything other than what we already know: give this team any sort of space to run at you and you'll get steamrollered by them.

The opposition have to get tighter at all times in order to stop that happening. Away from home and against the elite squads we'll get that opportunity; unfortunately we (right now) still have the major problem of breaking teams down at Goodison (which is where the bulk of dissent is found) and that only improves by signing a player capable of unlocking defences (and also - if that playermaker is off form - a different type of striker than Lukaku...someone who can grab half chances and get in the faces of defences to shake them up - possibly someone like Austin).

Status
Not open for further replies.