So who had lack of depth in central midfield being one of our biggest issues in their pre-season evaluation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I certainly didn't

I was much more worried about what would happen at center back, but injuries to Delph and Gbamin, the suspension of Schneiderlin and the sales of Williams and McCarthy, and the loaning of Beni and Besic have highlighted the fact that we're pretty gosh darn thin in the center of midfield right now

Basically we have Gomes, Schneiderlin and Davies right now (And possibly Delph if he is indeed healthy, but how long will it be before he gets injured again?)

That's a tad terrifying actually

I'll hold my hands up and admit I didn't see this coming at all. The discussions around left/right back, wing, defense and striker were in great supply, but this area seemed to slip under the radar

You'd think that Brands will have to forgo his usual aversion to buying in January to get at least one more midfielder in if Gbamin is indeed going to be out for a long time?
I was worried about the obvious lack of centre back depth but seeing Schneiderlin start and get sent off in the first match of the season woke us all up to the state of affairs in midfield.

Schneiderlin and Davies aren't good enough options to help us kick on p the table. Delph has already shown he's still injury prone and G'Bamin being injured and Gomes off form has made the problem more visible than we all probably first thought when the window closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.