Homepage Update: So come on, come on, get down to Goodison Park!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuffling along the Gwladys Street after a game last season was often like being part of some horrible funeral procession. Now it's like a party. Cheers Ron.

Sorry mate, I disagree. It's an expression of the positivity felt by the majority under Koeman. We had many many similar things for Martinez in his first season.

But then as the post states, it was grim for the majority of the previous two seasons.

And this:

Dave that is not good enough for EFC. I know you cannot possibly conclude that it is.

To contrast, we've won our last six at home I think?

Dave, this strikes me as a churlish response.

It's not another cheap shot at Martinez, it's an appreciation of the turning tide. We had a decent start this season, then a disappointing blip and now we appear to be right back on a right track.

In my opinion, you have taken a cheap shot because, for whatever reason, you still seem unable to accept that Martinez failed miserably in years two and three and as a result had to go.

It seems to me that it wouldn't have mattered who replaced him, you don't seem willing to accept the change that was blindingly necessary.

The thread title is all about some brand spanking new era and getting behind it, the OP is all about looking backward to the era that went before it, conveniently leaving out any high points.

Tell me I'm wrong?

The thread title is all about some brand spanking new era and getting behind it, the OP is all about looking backward to the era that went before it, conveniently leaving out any high points.

Tell me I'm wrong?

tumblr_mhehcuchdK1s4eyqfo1_400_zpscd97a9cc.gif

Tell me I'm wrong?
The thread is about the feel good factor coming back going to Goodison mate. Unless you went the game and experienced the overall negative experience thats all he's saying. Whats wrong in experiencing that absolutely brilliant feeling of walking up to the match and almost knowing that we are going to win its a buzz you cant describe.The feel good factor for me at least certainly is coming back.

No point in getting down to Goodison it's always full thats why we need a bigger stadium!

Would love to get a ticket where i can see at 60% in front of me. But the fact that is the case means we are doing something right and a clear sign of progress. Loving the feel good factor around the club. (bar 2 contract situations - but even then i think we are calmer than we used to be as we will replace with quality if worst comes to the worst)

The thread is about the feel good factor coming back going to Goodison mate. Unless you went the game and experienced the overall negative experience thats all he's saying. Whats wrong in experiencing that absolutely brilliant feeling of walking up to the match and almost knowing that we are going to win its a buzz you cant describe.The feel good factor for me at least certainly is coming back.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that sentiment you express, because it's just confined to now and isn't a backward swipe at what went before.

The thread OP wasn't what was billed in the thread title.

I would strike one word of caution regarding the tone off and the sentiments expressed in that article.

And much as I am enjoying my football right now, I am not getting carried away just yet.

(well, I am totally carried away ATM....but I know how ephemeral bursts of irrational exuberance can be when it comes to EFC :()

Cast your mind back a mere three years and we were reading the same sort of gushing articles pointing to a paradigm shift in our fortunes.

A new manager had swept through the club like a new broom, the football was great, the goals were flowing, we were on a winning streak and the top four was within our grasp.

We had beaten Chelsea at home, easily brushed aside United and Arsenal, and had given the RS a right roasting before they scored a late equaliser.

And we won at Old Trafford for the first time since the Pope was an altar boy.

We lustily sang about the School of Science being on its way back and banners in the Park End proclaimed as much.

:)

But as we all know now, sadly...it was nowt but an illusion.

The existential side of ol'Khal is living very happily right now, thank you very much.

And I am really excited and optimistic about our upcoming road trip across the park and up the East Lancs.

And indeed, about our prospects in general.

But I am giving it another year or so before declaring the past to be another country and treat articles like that as
a contemporary chronicle rather than a feel good snapshot with uncanny echoes to the very recent past ;)

I would strike one word of caution regarding the tone off and the sentiments expressed in that article.

And much as I am enjoying my football right now, I am not getting carried away just yet.

(well, I am totally carried away ATM....but I know how ephemeral bursts of irrational exuberance can be when it comes to EFC :()

Cast your mind back a mere three years and we were reading the same sort of gushing articles pointing to a paradigm shift in our fortunes.

A new manager had swept through the club like a new broom, the football was great, the goals were flowing, we were on a winning streak and the top four was within our grasp.

We had beaten Chelsea at home, easily brushed aside United and Arsenal, and had given the RS a right roasting before they scored a late equaliser.

And we won at Old Trafford for the first time since the Pope was an altar boy.

We lustily sang about the School of Science being on its way back and banners in the Park End proclaimed as much.

:)

But as we all know now, sadly...it was nowt but an illusion.

The existential side of ol'Khal is living very happily right now, thank you very much.

And I am really excited and optimistic about our upcoming road trip across the park and up the East Lancs.

And indeed, about our prospects in general.

But I am giving it another year or so before declaring the past to be another country and treat articles like that as
a contemporary chronicle rather than a feel good snapshot with uncanny echoes to the very recent past ;)

A very wise and mature way to approach the situation overall.

Everybody was looking forward after the season we finished 5th, it was a very good season.

However, we didn't have the finances or tools to push on, we now seem more professional an outfit off and on the pitch.

But like you I will remain cautious and judge Koeman properly in at least his second season. Though he took over and has completely revamped a broken side that had lost its way completely, season 2 is generally what sorts the men out from the boys.

There's no shortage of evidence showing that teams can have a streaky run that isn't a true reflection of their true standing, whether it's Leicester's run last year, or our first under Martinez. So I'm sure no one is getting carried away just yet, but we are playing some decent stuff at the moment and are on a great run, so really, what is there not to enjoy?

Tell me I'm wrong?
You're wrong.

Parts refer to what came before. Parts refer to the seemingly huge improvements.

It's not 'all about Martinez'. Most of us have let him go. Moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.