Seventh Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club posted a gigantic £57million loss for the period covering their Championship-winning season.

However a big chunk of the loss was as a result of promotion. Around £20m of the £57m came from player and staff bonuses which arose from reaching the Premier League, as well as extra fees owed from transfers due to winning promotion.

It's understood the club would still have been working within Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules even if the team hadn't won promotion.

The eye-opening figures show the 'risk and reward' approach which owners Fosun took to realise their Premier League dream.

But in their accounts, published yesterday, the club said it worked on a month by month basis to ensure it wasn't placed in financial difficulty despite the huge outlay.

"As is the case with all professional football clubs...there is a risk in respect of complying with the Profit and Sustainability regulations (FFP)," a financial risk statement by the club said.

"However, in response to this, the directors ensure the latest forecasted financial performance against the (FFP) criteria is consistently monitored and updated as a minimum month on month, to mitigate the risk of such sanctions."

The club's financial bosses have also been mindful of the impact Brexit may have.

"The club has entered into forward contracts for certain specific amounts payable to mitigate the risk of higher payments as a result of an adverse fluctuation in the market," the accounts read.

During the 2017/18 season Wolves spent big on buying Ruben Neves for a club record £15.8m fee, while Roderick Miranda, Barry Douglas and Rafael Mir also joined on permanent deals and loan fees were paid for Willy Boly, Diogo Jota, Leo Bonatini, Ruben Vinagre and Benik Afobe.

In a statement yesterday Wolves said: "In summary, Wolves’ owners are committed to continuously improving the club, from both a footballing and wider operational and strategic perspective.

"Their aim, through the continued application of the footballing philosophy which has been so successful during the 2017/18 season and first half of the 2018/19 season, is for the club is to become an established competitor in the Premier League."

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...mier-league-dream-but-this-is-only-the-start/

These Wolves fellas arent messing around.

They were more consistent over the course of the season than us. The teams around us have had similar up and down form all season whereas we have had two periods of top 6 form with a pitch of relegation form in the middle. If the players want Europe then they shouldn’t take two months off in the middle of the season again.

We have had a fine season, you not so much but you are only 4 points behind and will probably close the gap in the last game ( although i wouldnt be surprised if we get something at Anfield ). Your expectations though are higher than our currently, so i understand why its disappointing. I'm a bit puzzled as to why there seems to be an element who dont want European football. I hope we get it, its going to be great for our progression.

We have finished probably where i thought we would. In all honesty, we have blown finishing top six with some of the points we have dropped. I said on here before the season started we would surprise people, and even though plenty of you wrote us off then, i think we are going to surprise people again next season. We arent a Burnley who cant compete financially. I dont have any doubt we will see another 3 quality players at least next year. Hopefully it will be at least another of Moutinho's ilk. How Pogba got in the PFA team ahead of him is beyond me.

All the best for next season. Dont think you are too far away from being a very good side.

Next season will be a learning experience for Wolves in this regard, should you qualify. I'm an Evertonian that doesn't want us anywhere near the EL next season and that's not because I don't want Everton to compete in Europe, it's because the benefits of the EL are dwarfed by the costs over a season unless you're a squad that's in/built for Europe every year (preferably with recent, regular CL experience e.g. Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal etc). For these clubs, it's a good way for them to maintain their European profiles, win silverware and most importantly for them, qualify for the CL, without derailing their league campaigns.

With respect, there is no way on earth Wolves are going to win it, mostly because of the CL drop-outs that come in, as well as. United and Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs will need to prioritise it due to missing out on the top 4. The sides that win it are generally ones that should really have been in the champions league, not those that scraped in as a result of the dominance of the CL clubs in their domestic trophies.

I think Everton are (and should be) building a side that could handle it properly in the future and we may well have an extremely strong first 14/15 players by September, however I still think the size of the undertaking is an unnecessary burden at this early stage in Silva's reign that necessitates all kinds of risk (e.g. Wolves will have to flesh out their relatively small squad considerably, but getting decent players to come and sit on your bench isn't easy when you're nowhere near the top 6 in the PL, meaning you can end up with a lot of crap on your books very quickly). The overwhelming likelihood is it would absolutely rule out a top 6 finish and probably see us fail to progress in the league, which is far more important to us than one season in the EL if we want to attract/hold on to high quality players.

If Wolves can take this on, have their pre-season disrupted (probably the worst thing about qualifying in 7th), sign quality players for the XI and the squad and handle this without a drop-off in the league I'll be impressed and very surprised. My expectation though is that you'll drop off in the league, won't win the EL and consequently will be very vulnerable to top 6 sides coming to take your players (who will obviously want to leave - see Stones, Lukaku).

What makes me laugh is Wolves fans' and our own bang on about how their owners mean business, in the last 3 years we have spent:

£45 million Siggurdsson
£40 million Richarlison
£30 million Pickford
£30 million Keane
£28.5 million Mina
£27 million Bolasie
£24 million Schnerderlin
£23 million Tosun
£20 million Walcott

Thats a massive investment from the owners and one that Wolves havent come close to spending bar £30 mil on Jimenez who may well have a 2nd season syndrome as he hasnt been prolific elswhere.

My point is provision Brands gets the recruitment bob on with the money that is behind us backing the club we should easily take 7th over the coming seasons.

Clubs like Wolves/Leicester are lucky we've had amateurs run the club these past 18-24 months we now need to push on and that starts with bringing in quality players like Neres, Zouma, Gomes, a top striker etc.

Said before fosun are massive in China, they have a stake in the banks, that's how big they are.

The link up with mended was a master stroke. Moutinho for 5m was a steal

They spent big but those players have gone up in value neves was bought for 16m is now worth 40m+.

Apparently have 100m to spend in the summer, no doubt a lot will be from mendes

Said before fosun are massive in China, they have a stake in the banks, that's how big they are.

The link up with mended was a master stroke. Moutinho for 5m was a steal

They spent big but those players have gone up in value neves was bought for 16m is now worth 40m+.

Apparently have 100m to spend in the summer, no doubt a lot will be from mendes

Means absolutely zilch due to FFP.

What alot of people fail to grasp and why Usmanov will never be coming officially on board here as it stops you spending your own dosh. Soon as Wolves wage bill catches up with them they'll be goosed as the small city club they are in reality.

Means absolutely zilch due to FFP.

What alot of people fail to grasp and why Usmanov will never be coming officially on board here as it stops you spending your own dosh. Soon as Wolves wage bill catches up with them they'll be goosed as the small city club they are in reality.
Which is why they are expanding the stadium

Which is why they are expanding the stadium

Still does little for them - they along with us and the rest will never be able to buy success as FFP now has pulled the ladders up from the elite.

For Everton their only advantage is if Usmanov uses his companies to sponsor the new ground etc. To pump money in like USM Finch Farm.

Basically for either of us its going to come down to who recruits the best players and whilst they no doubt habe solid links with Mendes we have Brands who's a fantastic DOF and also has a strong relationship with Raiola, Moshiri has big links with Kia Joorchabian who took Tevez/Mascherano to West Ham.

There is no way into the top 4 without an economic miracle which happens every Leicester. No need to fret about it, except to wish our neighbours bad luck every season. C'est la vie as the Gerrrmans say.

If jags had not been wrongly sent off...

We can finish no lower than 9th and no higher than 8th.

It’s not great but considering where we were and how we were playing. I’m very happy and positive about us moving up the table with a few extra additions in the mould of digne and Bernard.

Next season will be a learning experience for Wolves in this regard, should you qualify. I'm an Evertonian that doesn't want us anywhere near the EL next season and that's not because I don't want Everton to compete in Europe, it's because the benefits of the EL are dwarfed by the costs over a season unless you're a squad that's in/built for Europe every year (preferably with recent, regular CL experience e.g. Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal etc). For these clubs, it's a good way for them to maintain their European profiles, win silverware and most importantly for them, qualify for the CL, without derailing their league campaigns.

With respect, there is no way on earth Wolves are going to win it, mostly because of the CL drop-outs that come in, as well as. United and Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs will need to prioritise it due to missing out on the top 4. The sides that win it are generally ones that should really have been in the champions league, not those that scraped in as a result of the dominance of the CL clubs in their domestic trophies.

I think Everton are (and should be) building a side that could handle it properly in the future and we may well have an extremely strong first 14/15 players by September, however I still think the size of the undertaking is an unnecessary burden at this early stage in Silva's reign that necessitates all kinds of risk (e.g. Wolves will have to flesh out their relatively small squad considerably, but getting decent players to come and sit on your bench isn't easy when you're nowhere near the top 6 in the PL, meaning you can end up with a lot of crap on your books very quickly). The overwhelming likelihood is it would absolutely rule out a top 6 finish and probably see us fail to progress in the league, which is far more important to us than one season in the EL if we want to attract/hold on to high quality players.

If Wolves can take this on, have their pre-season disrupted (probably the worst thing about qualifying in 7th), sign quality players for the XI and the squad and handle this without a drop-off in the league I'll be impressed and very surprised. My expectation though is that you'll drop off in the league, won't win the EL and consequently will be very vulnerable to top 6 sides coming to take your players (who will obviously want to leave - see Stones, Lukaku).

I don't agree with you on EL qualification, but that's a very well argued point of view.

What makes me laugh is Wolves fans' and our own bang on about how their owners mean business, in the last 3 years we have spent:

£45 million Siggurdsson
£40 million Richarlison
£30 million Pickford
£30 million Keane
£28.5 million Mina
£27 million Bolasie
£24 million Schnerderlin
£23 million Tosun
£20 million Walcott

Thats a massive investment from the owners and one that Wolves havent come close to spending bar £30 mil on Jimenez who may well have a 2nd season syndrome as he hasnt been prolific elswhere.

My point is provision Brands gets the recruitment bob on with the money that is behind us backing the club we should easily take 7th over the coming seasons.

Clubs like Wolves/Leicester are lucky we've had amateurs run the club these past 18-24 months we now need to push on and that starts with bringing in quality players like Neres, Zouma, Gomes, a top striker etc.
I think you may find that wolves will strengthen considerably this summer! Plans for a 50 thousand seater stadium upgrade in the pipe line with mendes pulling the transfer strings to bring in quality players that are the right fit for our team . I came on here start of the season as well as after our first game against you . A lot of you doubted our credentials and have now changed your tune and realised in two seasons we are more or less at the same level as you if not better . Fosun means business and I’m sure by the end of next season you will realise we are a different team to your Burnley’s of this league.

I think you may find that wolves will strengthen considerably this summer! Plans for a 50 thousand seater stadium upgrade in the pipe line with mendes pulling the transfer strings to bring in quality players that are the right fit for our team . I came on here start of the season as well as after our first game against you . A lot of you doubted our credentials and have now changed your tune and realised in two seasons we are more or less at the same level as you if not better . Fosun means business and I’m sure by the end of next season you will realise we are a different team to your Burnley’s of this league.
Why have you joined a Everton forum you arrogant cretin? You’ve finished above us once in about 20 years and you’re a bigger better club than us? Get a grip.

Think you will do an Ipswich and be fighting relegation next year.

Why have you joined a Everton forum you arrogant cretin? You’ve finished above us once in about 20 years and you’re a bigger better club than us? Get a grip.
I think you may find we have finished in 7th place , smashed you lot at your own ground while playing you off the park . So at this moment in time and according to league table , yes we are better club than you . As they say the league table does not lie, but thanks for your reply anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.