2023/24 Sean Dyche

The squad has the ability to be top half I think with one or two additions. Dyche had 10 years at Burnley and didn’t change his style. He also took them down twice. Short term it’s just about ok but in the summer we should be looking to bring in someone better that’s got more about them and can really get us moving forward with the likes of Pickford Branthwaite Onana McNeil etc
We cant afford additions or to sack and bring in a new manager along with giving this new manager money to spend!

He did a good job at Burnley regardless. Its churlish to think otherwise.

The players you mentioned are not the issue. We have one left back, three players who could maybe make a complete right back if they all combined, a centre back injury away from playing Michael Keane or Ben Godfrey for an extended period of time, a miniscule amount of midfielders and two strikers who can't score goals. We are all over the place squad wise with no real way of rectifying that.

We need to be on an even footing to even begin to think about moving forward and we are miles away from that right now.

Would be nice to keep the same manager for a while - hope the fans can stay behind him for a couple of difficult seasons.

If he does well he may be off anyway at some point, if we can't offer him decent player investment (and who is to say we can honestly) - he's proved adaptable and other vacancies will come up. How long was his contract ?

Would be nice to keep the same manager for a while - hope the fans can stay behind him for a couple of difficult seasons.

If he does well he may be off anyway at some point, if we can't offer him decent player investment (and who is to say we can honestly) - he's proved adaptable and other vacancies will come up. How long was his contract ?
Dunno but surely cannot be for any longer than end of next season, right? If we can stay up, get new owners and have these FFP worries behind us by then, perfect time to get rid and start with a clean slate in the new gaff at Bramley.

During Dyches Everton managerial career he has so far beaten:

Arsenal at home
Drew against Chelsea away
Drew against Tottenham at home
Beaten Newcastle at home
Beaten Chelsea at home
Drew against Tottenham at home

I mean I think we need to show some appreciation really. I think given our inability to really sign anyone, he’s done brilliant. We need a win against City, United and Liverpool and people will be calling him the messiah.

The squad has the ability to be top half I think with one or two additions. Dyche had 10 years at Burnley and didn’t change his style. He also took them down twice. Short term it’s just about ok but in the summer we should be looking to bring in someone better that’s got more about them and can really get us moving forward with the likes of Pickford Branthwaite Onana McNeil etc

It's an interesting one isn't it. I suppose the argument is that put the 10 points on and we are exactly in the place you describe, 11/12th and a player or two off top ten.

No doubt he is not the most progressive manager but genuinely not sure who would do better with this lot.
While xG and all that has its limits, a combination of that and what we can see with our own eyes is that we're making the chances, and have been all season. So if one or two of those additions replaced those missing the chances and were able to put them away we'd have even more points. Dyche definitely hasn't reached the limits of what he can do results wise, though I can't see us signing anyone anytime soon so he probably won't get the chance to improve this team.

He'd obviously come up against the "we aren't playing nice enough football, sack him because we finished 8th" situation eventually. But then so would anyone who plays progressive football "GET IT IN THE BOX" and "HIT IM" would come back out. Not sure a manager can win at Everton when it comes to playing style...

Last edited:
While xG and all that has its limits, a combination of that and what we can see with our own eyes is that we're making the chances, and have been all season. So if one or two of those additions replaced those missing the chances and were able to put them away we'd have even more points. Dyche definitely hasn't reached the limits of what he can do results wise, though I can't see us signing anyone anytime soon so he probably won't get the chance to improve this team.

He'd obviously come up against the "we aren't playing nice enough football, sack him because we finished 8th" situation eventually. But then so would anyone who plays progressive football "GET IT IN THE BOX" and "HIM IM" would come back out. Not sure a manager can win at Everton when it comes to playing style...
The nice football thing is a myth anyway. We are better as a club when we are battlers with a bit of graft and ability. Better growling rather than purring.

Who are the additions Mbappe and Bellingham?
To put it in to perspective, Dominic Solanke is the third highest scorer in the league. It doesn't always take hundreds of millions to get a striker who scores goals.

Not saying him specifically would be good for us (though he possibly would be(, but he's dropped down a few levels from being at Chelsea and Liverpool and that's the sort of player who can sometimes really come into their own when given their chance. These players exist, we just seem to rely on Calvert Lewin as some sort of saviour and sign players like Beto because we didn't need to pay any money up front.

The nice football thing is a myth anyway. We are better as a club when we are battlers with a bit of graft and ability. Better growling rather than purring.
very true.

2 extra wins, perhaps in games where we made loads of chances and kept missing them, and we'd be on the verge of Europe League in terms of points actually gained.

We've earned 4 less points than Newcastle. Considering where they were last year compared to us, this is clearly progress and progress is all we could've hoped for this season.

To put it in to perspective, Dominic Solanke is the third highest scorer in the league. It doesn't always take hundreds of millions to get a striker who scores goals.

Not saying him specifically would be good for us (though he possibly would be(, but he's dropped down a few levels from being at Chelsea and Liverpool and that's the sort of player who can sometimes really come into their own when given their chance. These players exist, we just seem to rely on Calvert Lewin as some sort of saviour and sign players like Beto because we didn't need to pay any money up front.
No that wasn't my point I mean the squad is so short of quality that the couple of additions would need to be very good to carry the rest of them. Solanke cost a lot anyway though so he's not the best example of what you're saying especially because its taken him about 4 years to come good and we do sign players with that sort of background. The fact we didn't have to pay up front for Beto isn't a little thing that we've done to try and be tight is it it's because we had no money and no room on financial fair play it was the only type of deal they could do not just a cheap move. I suppose this squad could finish in the top half but it wouldn't be expected to by anybody reasonable even with a couple of new average players.

50% of our goals from set pieces.

Bear in mind we picked him up off the dole queue after he'd been sacked by Burnley. Nobody else would touch him. I think we are safe in terms of him being prised from us!

I don't get the dissin' of goals from set pieces. I mean, in the end we're not Pulis' Stoke for spaghetti monster's sake, we have created chances from open play too but somebody up front hasn't bagged 'em.