2023/24 Sean Dyche

Park the bus every week, bore us all to tears and keep us up. Do it however you want

Sounds good to me

More of the same next season too if we've still got no flex to even slightly improve this squad
Do you think people paying thousands for their seats at the new ground will be happy With that, watching Brighton have 80% of the ball at our new ground. It what take long for the fans to turn

I would imagine when we start to be ran properly and can actually afford new players, that we start to consider players that can actually pass the ball. I know its a new concept, but lets dream :)

Do you think people paying thousands for their seats at the new ground will be happy With that, watching Brighton have 80% of the ball at our new ground. It what take long for the fans to turn
If we have roughly the same team/squad = yes
If we become the new galacticos = no

I think most Everton fans fully understand the current predicament.

If we have roughly the same team/squad = yes
If we become the new galacticos = no

I think most Everton fans fully understand the current predicament.
I said this yesterday. Do Fulham have that much better player than us, that they should have 70% possession? And Brighton 80%. The this squad is crap and can’t play any other way Is nonsense. Luton just put 4 past Brighton

The top 4 on the possession stats this season are the top 4 in the league. Sheff Utd are bottom of both. It’s not rocket science to know that in this era of football, possession is king.

I don’t mind Dyche, he generally gets the team organised and drilled, but long term, it just isn’t the way to play football I’m afraid.

What are Burnley's possession stats?

They're more of the 'keep the ball and build from the back' type compared to a classic Pulis 'hit the big man', but they're certainly struggling.

Possession is pointless if you do nothing with it.

I like Dyche and I think he is just using the most effective way that this team can get as many points as possible. We have low possession but we still seem to have more shots per game than our opposition, apart from the top six.

I would like him to start building a better ball possession based team, especially against the weaker teams in the league as it's just good to watch. Not passing it around aimlessly, but fast, technical and good movement. Whether he intends to do that or is capable I guess we will have to wait and see.

I don't think this needs to happen straight away, we should build towards it with the right player recruitment and as long as he is getting results I think we can be a bit patient with all that is going on at the moment.

They're more of the 'keep the ball and build from the back' type compared to a classic Pulis 'hit the big man', but they're certainly struggling.

They are 13th with an average of 46.1%, we are 19th with an average of 38.9%

‘The current players aren’t good enough to pass the ball’. I hear this a lot.

Dyche inherited a team of players that had played for Barcelona, PSG, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, PSV, Belgium..
Rob Edwards has players from Walsall, Charlton and Reading. They actually have higher possession stats than us this season.

When Potter took over at Brighton, they were a long ball team scrapping for survival under Hughton. Their possession stats jumped about 10% immediately.

Now passing the ball about may not actually be the best thing to do with this group of players, but we need to stop pretending it’s impossible.

That’s the biggest myth ever ffs, tell that to fans who watched the 60’s team or some of the teams through the 70’s and of course the 80’s.
Even this dogs of war team that Joe Royal built at times played great football. Spurs in the cup semi. Fast forward 12 months and the team that had, Kanchelskis, Barmby, speed, grant, limpar, Dunc, Stuart, Parkinson. Played brilliant football and could be very aggressive, you needed the balance of both even in the 90’s. That the best prem team I’ve seen, better than any Moyes team or Martinez 2013/14.

This let’s get stuck in , big tackles, get the crowd angry, get the ball in the box quickly. If that’s what you want to
Watch , well you will be watching it in the championship, because that’s where that style will end up, the game is changing, refs are changing, you want be able to make tackles in 10yrs. Like it or hate it, that’s where the game is going and we can’t be left behind
I have literally said the exact thing you are saying!

"We are better as a club when we are battlers with a bit of graft and ability."

That's the same thing! It's why I mentioned ability. We have always played better when we are angry.

Interesting that you say the game is changing yet hark back to teams from up to 50 years ago though?

We don't remotely play in the mixer hoofball under Dyche by the way. Never have done.

Its more, let them have the ball, let them advance, let them go out of position in frustration, then HIT THEM on the break with an often too hopeful long pass - most times giving them posession back. Sigurdsson would have actually done well in this team with his ability to pass.

Were not too disimilar to how Moyes set us up. With West Ham they have fractionally better players, but its still much the same.

Not too keen on it tbh. Prefer Alex Ferguson style, attacking but disciplined in shape and philosophy.

Nobody would care too much about the style of football, if it was winning football.

They are mid table. If you can’t see the direct correlation between keeping the ball and where you finish in the league, then I can’t help you. It’s not going to be a perfectly straight line.

I don't pay to much attention to possession, we had loads of it during martinez final years and we were appalling.

However, we must be the worst team by a distance in the prem for ball retention, we just cannot keep hold of the ball, constantly giving it away, failure to make simple passes time and time again, that does my head in tbh

And every team at the bottom could say the same, more to do with players we commit forward from open play.
And only looking threatening from set pieces.

And comparing simeone with dyche 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 that’s a belter. One has won trophies competing with 2 of the biggest clubs on the planet. His remit isn’t to make sure Athletico stay in the league

I assume you havent compared our stats with the other bottom sides...

...also that you didnt watch Simeone and Atletico when he took over.

All good points being raised by everyone on here regarding style of play, the future etc. For me dyche is definitely the right man for the job where we are now. Yes going forward hopefully in this league we can start to rebuild. I am happy for dyche to be given a chance to see where he can go, but clearly we need to adapt the way we play. There are signs, good defence setup think we are 4th best in the league, we also the highest turnovers in the final 3rd.
The comments about signing his players for the way he wants to play, well that is suppose to be the DOF job to dictate the way we play as a club going forward. The managers and players then follow suit. I don’t think park the bus or have 20-30% is on the agenda for the club going forward so dyche will have to adapt, but right now it’s what we need. It’s also to note that we have missed the most big chances in any league. And I know it’s taboo but XG we are the worst performing, we should have at least 10 more goals than we do now. Imagine if we had them goals or even half them, plus the points back we would be in European spots right now.
And with that I think the narrative or opinion of dyche would be different maybe.