2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make no mistake, the fools who run our club gave Dyche a single brief of 'keep us in the Premiership'.

He did it, albeit by the skin of our teeth.

Is he exciting or sexy, well no, but we are in a period of EFC pragmatism, and Dyche currently fits the bill.

Mid table safety next season, to take us to the new stadium.
As times has gone on I've become more of a fan of route one football, as successful as City are sometimes watching them play keep ball is better than camomile tea at inducing sleep. Looking forward to next season if we can make a few signings in the key positions.

Make no mistake, the fools who run our club gave Dyche a single brief of 'keep us in the Premiership'.

He did it, albeit by the skin of our teeth.

Is he exciting or sexy, well no, but we are in a period of EFC pragmatism, and Dyche currently fits the bill.

Mid table safety next season, to take us to the new stadium.
*Everyone* would accept that...for another two seasons at least.

I have no idea how Everton supporters want to chance another relegation battle again after the last two seasons. They must be adreneline junkies.

Count me out. I'll sign up right now for 40 points and 16th for the next few seasons.

Fair point on the rod for his back mate, also known as self confidence in your own ability.

Its interesting the difference in reactions from last year to this, Lampard climbed the directors box and orchestrated the crowd as king of Goodison in celebration, Dyche was dead pan and muted because he thinks the club shouldnt be there in that position - which reaction do we think fits and he should have adhered to.

Looking back there are a lot of red flags there really.

It was an astonishing night. That second half was as good a performance as weve put in for a while. Lampard rolled the dice and it came together.

Deep down, I think he probably felt it was a miracle, and sort of reacted as such.

In relation to Dyche, he spoke very well, but I thought you could see him relax, but also him unload the stress he had obviously been carrying for the last 4 months. Hes tried to front up and be positive through that time, but it's been a front. I think he was able to be a lot more honest after the event.

What he said was right though, it has to be better, and I'm glad he underlined that to the players.

I remember re Lampard after that Arsenal game, where we were awful, and he shrugged it off and basically said it didnt matter and was a bit worried. It was a response of someone who is not holding standards for players, and honestly not what he would have done as a player. I doubt he thinks that.

I think Lampard rode the crest of a wave, and got a bit lucky really, and ultimately still had better players.

I have no idea how Everton supporters want to chance another relegation battle again after the last two seasons. They must be adreneline junkies.

Count me out. I'll sign up right now for 40 points and 16th for the next few seasons.

It's funny, during the Moyes era, I remember just being grateful there were no relegation battles. Time plays tricks, and I had a line of thinking that actually the 90s werent that bad, and mediocrity was boring and worse.

They you get 2 years like the last 2, and you realise its nonsense, and that relegation worries are woeful. We shouldnt have survivorship bias about this, it's an awful experience, and everyone at the club needs to take decisions to avoid that happening again.

Having seen his latest media message, there is no romanticism but reality which is encouraging. The message is to the upper echelons of our club.

100%

@Eggsyblueskin
@dan7787
@Zatara

Do you have any comments to make?
Yeah,
I never wanted Lampard as manager, but he was the best of a small and very depressing short list, ultimately I’d have been as accepting of Pereira had he been appointed.
But, I liked the way Lampard tried to play football, the fact he failed doesn’t negate that preference.
I will also say I found him far more inspiring than the current incumbent whose faux hard man persona is as dull as dishwater.
Ultimately I’d like to see Everton to develop into a team that actually enjoys being in possession of the ball, and Dyche teams habitually avoid the spherical object like the plague.
It’s all subjective though isn’t it ?

It's funny, during the Moyes era, I remember just being grateful there were no relegation battles. Time plays tricks, and I had a line of thinking that actually the 90s werent that bad, and mediocrity was boring and worse.

They you get 2 years like the last 2, and you realise its nonsense, and that relegation worries are woeful. We shouldnt have survivorship bias about this, it's an awful experience, and everyone at the club needs to take decisions to avoid that happening again.

….I remember the Wimbledon and Coventry games and saying to myself that l’d never complain again with ‘mid-table mediocracy’.

Rodgers? I hope we're talking about Buck here? I'd truly give up on this club if we went for Brendan Rodgers. Next step surely would be Gerrard?
For people wanting to get rid of Dyche, this is my problem. If our aspirations are so low, why even move on from Dyche? Some of these shouts make absolutely no difference so why sack him. It’s one thing for a Carlo type or a high caliber manager to enter the ring but Rodgers?! What does that change?! I’d say Dyche has a much better shot with the squad we currently have.

….I remember the Wimbledon and Coventry games and saying to myself that l’d never complain again with ‘mid-table mediocracy’.
That's normal, but then we pushed on to being midtable, then to "best of the rest" - you, as a normal fan and human being, want progress, it's natural. We never did though, stuck to best of the rest, so when any money came in we thought we'd kick on.

We did, just downwards haha

He finds a solid goalscorer and we are easily safe next season. He just needs one. Of course we’d love to fill the other spots and aim higher but that is unrealistic- we’d have to be insanely shrewd and luck out with some cheapo bargain bin gems and loans. How he performs in the transfer window and how he handles youth and the likes of Maupay will determine my opinion of him.

Absolutley mate. The last two seasons have changed my mind.

Under Moyes toward the end I thought we should just cut loose and go for it...but you cant do that without Arab oil cash.

For people wanting to get rid of Dyche, this is my problem. If our aspirations are so low, why even move on from Dyche? Some of these shouts make absolutely no difference so why sack him. It’s one thing for a Carlo type or a high caliber manager to enter the ring but Rodgers?! What does that change?! I’d say Dyche has a much better shot with the squad we currently have.
Dyche is going nowhere. However, for those thinking we are getting entertaining football, think again. Dyche is pragmatic and he knows his job depends on getting results. He'll target the games he thinks we can win or get something out of and it will be park the bus in the rest. Bottom line is we can't afford to replace him and start the merry go round. The good news is that various other clubs in the Prem face FFP challenges and that will level the playing field. The top clubs will spend a fortune again and the gap will grow ever wider between the have's and have not's. And that is the problem with modern day football.

Status
Not open for further replies.