2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't geared to having flair players, we don't seem to have the management to attract

Best sticking to the affective war horses if we can find them

Moyes could hardly help it that Distin put one a plate for Suarez.

Also does anyone remember the lineups that day? Suarez Gerrard Agger etc. vs an Everton side that contained Magaye Gueye Phil Neville Darren Gibson.

We got edged out but most of the times Moyes apparently ‘bottled it’ was actually us just being outplayed by better teams with far better players.

The ones that get me more than the FA Cup final (when Chelsea were miles better and we had half a team) and that semi final in 2012, are the semi final under Martinez (Lukaku missing a pen for a final v Palace) and the game v Fiorentina. We were good enough in 08 to go and win that uefa cup and would have had Rangers and Zenit to get past to do it. We had a poor United on the ropes in the semi and Palace in the final. Those two I see as bigger missed chances than 2012 (when let’s face it we’d have lost to Chelsea in the final anyway) and 09 when we were just outclassed.

In fairness mate in that 2012 semi they also had Jay Spearing and some no mark goalie who’d never played before or since. We absolutely should have expected to win that one.

The thing about the later Moyes teams team was that - as you say - they could play. But Moyes would go very conservative against opposition he thought could outplay us. He cost us that SF against Liverpool IMO, as an example of that. Martinez came in after Moyes and underlined that those players were well capable of going toe-to-toe with the best football teams in the PL.

By the end of his 11 years I think we all figured him out: he was after that United job for a long time and never wanted to expose Everton to good teams in case they got a hiding that would persuade United's hierarchy he wasn't up to what Ferguson was telling them he was.

His 2008/2009 Everton were infinitely better than any West Ham team he's managed, that's for sure.

I genuinely dont think he knew the United job was coming, but just think he was a cautious manager.

He essentially created a team that outgrew him, and was unable to probably get the best from. He did lots of things very well, but by the end it required a different approach.

Can you imagine someone like Ancelotti with the teams between 08-12?

In fairness mate in that 2012 semi they also had Jay Spearing and some no mark goalie who’d never played before or since. We absolutely should have expected to win that one.

Why though? We had Jelavic upfront they had Luis Suarez. Do people need a reminder of how good he was? The other 10 playing with him were almost irrelevant. Our most important player was Pienaar and he was cuptied so Magaye Gueye was in, the tie was over at that point for me. Us going infront just stretched it out. They weren’t there for the taking by any stretch. They had better players than us in most positions.

Moyes could hardly help it that Distin put one a plate for Suarez.

Also does anyone remember the lineups that day? Suarez Gerrard Agger etc. vs an Everton side that contained Magaye Gueye Phil Neville Darren Gibson.

We got edged out but most of the times Moyes apparently ‘bottled it’ was actually us just being outplayed by better teams with far better players.

The ones that get me more than the FA Cup final (when Chelsea were miles better and we had half a team) and that semi final in 2012, are the semi final under Martinez (Lukaku missing a pen for a final v Palace) and the game v Fiorentina. We were good enough in 08 to go and win that uefa cup and would have had Rangers and Zenit to get past to do it. We had a poor United on the ropes in the semi and Palace in the final. Those two I see as bigger missed chances than 2012 (when let’s face it we’d have lost to Chelsea in the final anyway) and 09 when we were just outclassed.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but we did freeze that game mate.

They were expecting to lose. Wigan had just beaten them at Anfield. Distin makes a mistake, but we choked that 2nd half.

Moyes was a great systems manager, and over 38 games built an excellent team, but he was not a good big game manager. I dont think it's about choking per se, I just dont think his strength was tactical adjustments in big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.