2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at where Villa were when Emery took over. The idea that we can't find a better option is a false one. Lopitegui too with Wolves.
Emery has certainly got Villa firing but lets see where Villa and Wolves are over the next season and if Emery/Lopitegui are still there at the end.

Plenty of teams get a positive bump from a new manager and then it fades away. Leicester did pretty well under Ranieri (won the league) and then he got sacked the next year when they were a place above the relegation places.

Dyche has earned his chance and sticking with the manager means the focus stays on changing the board.

I'm not suggesting we will do what Villa did. I'm suggesting attracting a half decent manager is possible as they were also playing utter crap and did so.

As for Wolves I'm not sure what evidence there is to suggest they have better forwards tbh.

Well Emery is better than half decent isn't he?

Villa were also in a far better state than us re FFP etc. I'm not sure there are bundles of managers cuing up to replace Dyche, who has done a commendable job.

At some point, I think we have to stop sacking managers.

Emery has certainly got Villa firing but lets see where Villa and Wolves are over the next season and if Emery/Lopitegui are still there at the end.

Plenty of teams get a positive bump from a new manager and then it fades away. Leicester did pretty well under Ranieri (won the league) and then he got sacked the next year when they were a place above the relegation places.

Dyche has earned his chance and sticking with the manager means the focus stays on changing the board.
I don't need another season to see if Emery is a better manager than Dyche

He's not a bad coach at all, scored 5 away to Brighton and dominated with 10 men vs Spurs. His biggest mistake was keeping Keane in the team

I'm not suggesting we will do what Villa did. I'm suggesting attracting a half decent manager is possible as they were also playing utter crap and did so.

As for Wolves I'm not sure what evidence there is to suggest they have better forwards tbh.
I think any half decent manager will be approached by several clubs. If they've done their due dillingence they'll know we're absolutely cuckoo as a club. If you hadn't noticed we'd just employed two absolute bums prior to Dyche. There's a reason for that.

It's probably only because it's the biggest gig he'll get he took it on. That is probably our main draw at the moment. We're not chucking Ancelotti level wages around and we're selling players and not replacing them.

More than the manager we really need to sort out our recruitment and squad building.

Our final game left us without a left back, right back and effective striker to lead the line.

Either the planning or execution of building (or both) our squads is a mess - it has been since Moyes left.

I think any half decent manager will be approached by several clubs. If they've done their due dillingence they'll know we're absolutely cuckoo as a club. If you hadn't noticed we'd just employed two absolute bums prior to Dyche. There's a reason for that.

It's probably only because it's the biggest gig he'll get he took it on. That is probably our main draw at the moment. We're not chucking Ancelotti level wages around and we're selling players and not replacing them.
I disagree. We're appointing bums because of a poor back room that can't identify whether a manager is a bum or not and not because only bums would consider the job.

More than the manager we really need to sort out our recruitment and squad building.

Our final game left us without a left back, right back and effective striker to lead the line.

Either the planning or execution of building (or both) our squads is a mess - it has been since Moyes left.
The manager has to fit the recruitment though. If you're keeping Dyche you're either tailoring recruitment to him or recruiting players who don't fit. Both are bad.

Emery has won 4 europa leagues, got villareal to a champions league semi final and has a 50%+ win rate since 2013. Emery is a fantastic manager who has more than proved how good he is. We should've got him years ago.

It's a fair point, but lets see how Burnley do next season first. If they come up and try to play attacking football, I am not sure they will stay up.
The thing is I think their model is now not predicated on survival season to season in exchange to potential longterm EPL stature. Decisions have a shelf life and always prioritizing the next year you risk really draining the cupboards. Burnley may go down but they astutely leveraged the EPL balloon payments into value propositions and a general reset. They now have a squad filled with under 23 prospects who for the majority can project to be sold for profit. They have a viable model that will garner funds for reinvestment window after window. Drop or not in the immediate, that will bare fruit in the future.

We cant look at survival as proof of concept if the pattern is broadly on a downward trajectory. The problems we have dont really change dramatically by surviving or not. It simply is just better and easier to address those issues staying up. But recruitment wise the teams hovering our position are operating more in the future tense then we are. That should be alarming.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.