2020/21 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said after Fulham and maintain, as a 1st choice starting right back, I think he's done.

In terms of being a squad player, for me he's got a role to play in and around the group. We have a manager who appreciates experience and know how and Coleman has that in buckets. The fact Carlo is smart enough to do something unique- like man mark a left back shows the manager he is. He choose the perfect person to do it, and in honesty I don't think Robertson had a kick in the derby.

The 1st derby, in honesty we couldn't get near them on their left for 20 minutes. So it's a huge turnaround. It's a huge shame that header didn't go in, and in fairness he didn't do a lot wrong, he through himself at it, looked to head it down and hit the target, but it's a wonderful save.

He's not someone who you would play every week, but could be someone you drop in, periodically and also a good help for injuries.

I said after Fulham and maintain, as a 1st choice starting right back, I think he's done.

In terms of being a squad player, for me he's got a role to play in and around the group. We have a manager who appreciates experience and know how and Coleman has that in buckets. The fact Carlo is smart enough to do something unique- like man mark a left back shows the manager he is. He choose the perfect person to do it, and in honesty I don't think Robertson had a kick in the derby.

The 1st derby, in honesty we couldn't get near them on their left for 20 minutes. So it's a huge turnaround. It's a huge shame that header didn't go in, and in fairness he didn't do a lot wrong, he through himself at it, looked to head it down and hit the target, but it's a wonderful save.

He's not someone who you would play every week, but could be someone you drop in, periodically and also a good help for injuries.

I still can’t even tell you what Carlo’s formation was. It looked like a 5311 with us playing wingbacks, but seemed to present itself as a 4411 with Coleman on the right and Gomes on the left of midfield. Either way it was the perfect formation to beat that lot. As you say, their left hand side caused us no end of problems at Goodison but I can’t remember Robertson or Mane having a kick and they seemed to funnel down their right which played straight into Digne and Godfrey. I think it shows that Carlo doesn’t always get it right first time but in terms of learning tactical lessons he’s second to none. He showed it against Leeds, and now against Liverpool also that he rectified mistakes form the first encounters. Hopefully he can do the same v City in the cup!

I still can’t even tell you what Carlo’s formation was. It looked like a 5311 with us playing wingbacks, but seemed to present itself as a 4411 with Coleman on the right and Gomes on the left of midfield. Either way it was the perfect formation to beat that lot. As you say, their left hand side caused us no end of problems at Goodison but I can’t remember Robertson or Mane having a kick and they seemed to funnel down their right which played straight into Digne and Godfrey. I think it shows that Carlo doesn’t always get it right first time but in terms of learning tactical lessons he’s second to none. He showed it against Leeds, and now against Liverpool also that he rectified mistakes form the first encounters. Hopefully he can do the same v City in the cup!

The key to having a chance against City will be Dom being available. He's good enough to occupy both their centre halves and get us up the pitch. If you let City pen you deep for most of the 90 minutes then you will almost certainly lose. It's a very big ask and we will need all our main players available to have a shot.

We seemed to almost have people in half positions (I'm sure there is a more technical term, but I'll use that one). Holgate was somewhere between a right back and a Centre back. Coleman was somewhere between a midfielder and a wing back, where Digne was between a left back and a wing back. Gomes was between a central midfielder and a left midfield player in a 4. In truth the only one who struggled with it was Gomes. In truth I thought Sigurdsson actually played the role much better when he came on, and seemed to "have his head" around it. But theissue with him is legs, so again it was smart to get 65 minutes running out of Gomes.

I think I said into the lead up to this game, Carlo will try something different, it may work, it may not. He won't just send out the same team to lose again. I think overall this is very good. Lets be honest, under previous managers, we would still be playing the same way we did against Newcastle away and would have bombed. The only criticism I would make of him, is that we moved away from 4 CB's too early. I'm sure he had his reasons, but we broke what worked for me a bit too quickly.

I could see us keeping the shape we played with for a while yet though. Godfrey and Holgate generally stay fit, and he can rotate Keane/Mina if he needs too. I actually think Iwobi woukd really suit the role Coleman played in certain games (though he went and played in the 2 at times). It will allow us to rotate Richarlinson/James/DCL. Coleman could even fill in in Holgate's position in certain games too.

As for Coleman, I thought he did very well. The manager recognised the threat Robertson/Mane gave to us. The real risk in a back 3 is who marks the wide forward. He made that easy and put it on Holgate, and allowed Coleman to focus on Robertson. He's a real compititor, quite quick and is an honest pro. He didn't give Robertson a kick.

He's quite an intelligent and versatile player, which you can see Ancelotti likes. It's why I think he values Sigurdsson too, he can put him a variety of positions.

The system we used yesterday, I'll be frank, completely flummoxed Klopp and Liverpool and I don't think they really had any answer to it.

The key to having a chance against City will be Dom being available. He's good enough to occupy both their centre halves and get us up the pitch. If you let City pen you deep for most of the 90 minutes then you will almost certainly lose. It's a very big ask and we will need all our main players available to have a shot.

If we play as we did against Liverpool, and as you say have DCL and Allan back available it will be a big plus and I maintain we will give anybody a game in the league. I'm not saying we would defeat City, but it would be a tough game for them. We have to hope they rest a few with other trophies on offer.

Would just use him as a winger or a wing back now in games against premier league clubs. Against lower league in the cup he can probs still play right back.

Excellent shift the other day, very happy abs you can tell as captain he’s been equally as frustrated and upset as we’ve been down the years and he does seem determined to make the most of Ancelotti while he’s here

Games have suited him recently where we have had to be resilient and all he has to do is be dogged. In games where we will inevitably be on top , his limitations will come to the forefront pretty quickly. Shocking miss from the header but credit for his resilience

Seamus seems to be getting younger looking.

:)

Haha he’s a vampire, I absolutely love him you know. Brilliant professional, a loyal servant to the club and based off a few things I’ve heard about him when I lived in Ireland and from a fella that knows him I. The club a lovely lad. Honestly hope he comes into the coaching staff at us when his career comes to an end. Excellent ambassador and his attitude is a great example to any younger player coming through the ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.