2020/21 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s coming to the end now, but, what a tremendous professional he is, he’s never let us, or himself, down either on or off the field. If Séamus has a poor game, and that happens to all players, it is not for lack of effort.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and Séamus is very much at the end of his top flight career, he can still be useful here as a squad member, but, a new first choice right back is a must now. If he is ok with that, then I would keep him as back up, however, if he wanted to move on for one final huzzah somewhere else, then, we should let him go with our good wishes.

Seamus is a Mike Lyons kind of player: for whatever reason, often beyond this control, he has soldiered on through long runs of misery in derbies. I am pleased for him that he finally knows the taste of victory again, but let's be honest: one win will never wipe out the memory of 10 defeats, or whatever it is over the last decade. It's a consolation today. He said it himself: many of the players in the side do not have the psychological baggage that players like himself do. Rather than criticise him for missing that headed chance, I am asking myself: what the hell was he doing in the opposition's penalty box? I hope he enjoys his week.

Seamus is a Mike Lyons kind of player: for whatever reason, often beyond this control, he has soldiered on through long runs of misery in derbies. I am pleased for him that he finally knows the taste of victory again, but let's be honest: one win will never wipe out the memory of 10 defeats, or whatever it is over the last decade. It's a consolation today. He said it himself: many of the players in the side do not have the psychological baggage that players like himself do. Rather than criticise him for missing that headed chance, I am asking myself: what the hell was he doing in the opposition's penalty box? I hope he enjoys his week.

I think you’re right mate it doesn’t make up for it but it’s a result that allows us to draw a line in the sand over that period. Managers and different players have come and gone and not been able to do it. Next season fans or not we can go there and know we can do it, there’s no mystical reason we won there.

We just stuck to a game plan and exposed their weaknesses at the back. Next season when VVD is back we just have to find another way to beat them, for their sake I hope he doesn’t come back less of a player cos red or not you never want to see anyone’s career ruined through an injury. If we can do it with him in the team I think it gives them less excuses to throw out there about fans, VVD, their defensive issues being the only reasons we won.

they’ve beat us with kids out there and they can’t beat us with most of their team minus their first choice centre backs. It’s a bit of a lame excuse given all the other ways they’ve beaten us before

B5-D13-E9-A-BB75-41-D4-B77-C-C742-C0-D274-EC.gif

Shamoose Collyman & Papa Carlo

I think you’re right mate it doesn’t make up for it but it’s a result that allows us to draw a line in the sand over that period. Managers and different players have come and gone and not been able to do it. Next season fans or not we can go there and know we can do it, there’s no mystical reason we won there.

We just stuck to a game plan and exposed their weaknesses at the back. Next season when VVD is back we just have to find another way to beat them, for their sake I hope he doesn’t come back less of a player cos red or not you never want to see anyone’s career ruined through an injury. If we can do it with him in the team I think it gives them less excuses to throw out there about fans, VVD, their defensive issues being the only reasons we won.

they’ve beat us with kids out there and they can’t beat us with most of their team minis their first choice centre backs. It’s a bit of a lame excuse give all the other ways they’ve beaten us before
Good post. I'll say this, though: I couldn't care less about their excuses. We have beaten them. That's all we could do. Their excuses are delectable. If somebody told me that for every derby for the rest of my life Liverpool fans will be coming up with excuses, I'd die a happy man. Their logic is hilarious. For years we played them without a pot to piss in while they were well-funded. They beat us. We sucked it up. Professional football isn't egalitarian or fair. We beat them. Convincingly. As for VVD, I hope he comes back as good a player as he was. It's a game, not a war. But, you know, he was no angel in that match, cynically nailing James below the belt in the first minute of the game. What goes around comes around. It's professional sport. We've got a generational monkey off our backs. The days of fatalistically accepting that we could never win there are over. A transformational victory. They'll show us due respect next time - and that will make our chances so much better.

The more I hear him speak the more I admire him as a captain. He holds players accountable when they don't give 100% and I would have no issue keeping him here as a squad player for a few more years, helping others 'get' Everton. Well played Seamus.

he’s slowing down and he’s not the player he is.

but I hope he stays involved with the club in some capacity. He’s a great character to have around

Good post. I'll say this, though: I couldn't care less about their excuses. We have beaten them. That's all we could do. Their excuses are delectable. If somebody told me that for every derby for the rest of my life Liverpool fans will be coming up with excuses, I'd die a happy man. Their logic is hilarious. For years we played them without a pot to piss in while they were well-funded. They beat us. We sucked it up. Professional football isn't egalitarian or fair. We beat them. Convincingly. As for VVD, I hope he comes back as good a player as he was. It's a game, not a war. But, you know, he was no angel in that match, cynically nailing James below the belt in the first minute of the game. What goes around comes around. It's professional sport. We've got a generational monkey off our backs. The days of fatalistically accepting that we could never win there are over. A transformational victory. They'll show us due respect next time - and that will make our chances so much better.

Oh I completely agree, we’ve made excuses for 22 years and as you say let’s be honest for most of that time they’ve been the far superior team. I think it shows we are headed in the right direction, there’s hiccups along the way but finally we don’t need to dread going to them.

in fairness they’re still boasting a front 3 of Salah, Firminho and Mane. They had 2 half decent chances, a snap shot that Pickford does well to save and a one on one Pickford snuffs out. Other then that every other chance they had you’d be absolutely fuming if it had gone in. Poor defence or not they were woeful going forward and had absolutely no idea how to break us down.

As for VVD, you’re right he gave a hefty tackle and got one in return. That’s football. How dare one of our players do that to him, it was reckless but we do t have to go back through the archives very far to pull up some of their tackles in Derbies over the years. They get one back and think it’s a crime against humanity

I mean all praise to him for yesterday but he's also been involved with the club for more than 10 years of no Analfield victories.
Harsh but fair.

If Everton fans really want to sit at the top table again, we need to rid ourselves of this paralysing sentimentality that serves to forgive mediocrity and lower our horizons.

I'm pleased Seamus, a good, honest servant, got his win. Now replace him please, Carlo.

Been very critical of Seamus myself lately,made up he rammed my words down my throat!!,whatever my thoughts on Seamus contributing playing wise looking ahead ,will never detract from his efforts over the years,top,top pro,even greater human being,how fitting after yesterday if we could now lift the cup with him as our skipper.
Yep, he was brilliant yesterday even though he's been quite poor on the whole this season. Well, not poor, but time has just caught up with him and he's not the Seamus we remember from years gone by. I think it's fair to be critical of players and management, and, like you say, it's always a pleasure to have the words 'rammed down your throat' because it means Everton played well, and/or won a game - and that's good for all of us. Unfortunately, some of the members of this forum think certain players / managers are immune from criticism just because of who they are, and I think that's quite sad. Pickford, Keane, Seamus, Richarlison and even Carlo have had some brilliant highlights and terrible lowlights this season and should be praised and criticised accordingly - especially if you're talking on a match-by-match basis. For me, if we're talking about the season as a whole so far I prefer to say the club and management are doing a fantastic job. Yesterday was a brilliant day and we all hope it continues until the end of the season. If that can't be used as a springboard then nothing can.

Status
Not open for further replies.