Seamus Coleman: The Story so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Executioner's Bong

Player Valuation: £500k
Seamus Coleman has been one of the star turns in what has been an up and down season for the Blues so far. His speed, fearless approach and raw ability have been refreshing to watch and has led David Moyes to propose that the Irishman can have the same impact for us as Gareth Bale has done for Spurs, which is some praise considering Bale is held up as the benchmark for young wide players in the Premier League. This article will assess his performance this season and based on this we will look to where he fits in with Everton’s future setup and also analyse if the stats support Moyes’ comparison between Coleman and Bale.

Coleman’s stats in summary this season…….

Coleman is statistically our best tackler this season with a completion rate of 90%. His pass completion rate is an impressive 78% although his shooting requires some improvement, currently only accurate with 1 in 3 shots. His ability to take players on has been a key component to his success, with an impressive 62% successive rate of beating his marker and 33% of his crosses being completed successfully, with a classic example of both being the below mazy run and cross against Liverpool in the derby game.

The article is a bit lengthy...if the above hasn't bored you too much you can read the rest at the below...

http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/seamus-coleman-the-story-so-far/

I wouldn't mind something like:

Howard
Coleman Jags Distin Baines
Arteta Fellaini Rodwell
Bilyaletdinov
Saha Beckford​

Great article though. Everyone says Coleman's crap defensively, but I've always defended (no pun intended) this side of his game. He has a lot to learn, but the stats show he's good in the tackle. I think he's done well out wide, but I maintain he works best like Baines; overlapping as a fullback.

Bale is a better wide man because he has an insane amount of pace; he can be level with his man and still always beat him. Coleman, like Baines, is quick but not Walcott/bale quick. A 1-2 with an incisive through ball for him to latch onto is the best bet. All in my opinion, of course :)

Howard
Arteta Fellaini Rodwell
Bilyaletdinov
Saha Beckford​

Great article though. Everyone says Coleman's crap defensively, but I've always defended (no pun intended) this side of his game. He has a lot to learn, but the stats show he's good in the tackle. I think he's done well out wide, but I maintain he works best like Baines; overlapping as a fullback.

Bale is a better wide man because he has an insane amount of pace; he can be level with his man and still always beat him. Coleman, like Baines, is quick but not Walcott/bale quick. A 1-2 with an incisive through ball for him to latch onto is the best bet. All in my opinion, of course :)
Totally agree.

Coleman has done well in his first full season but I must admit that Bale is streets ahead as an out and out winger. Coleman is capable of taking on a player or working himself out of what seemingly looks like a dead end, but it's his end product, his decision making around the penalty area (to pass or to shoot) and the time it takes him to decide that lets him down. The boy is still learning and just won his first international cap so there is a lot of upside in this little gem.

Howard
Arteta Fellaini Rodwell
Bilyaletdinov
Saha Beckford​

I would like to see a similar formation too. I feel we need to be using Rodwell week in week out (Latest injury aside), and alongside Fellaini and Arteta it could provide a really good balance of strength and creativity, which could allow a more attacking minded Coleman at RB, overlapping, in a similar way to the way Bainsey does. I do feel though that Cahill would and should start ahead of Beckford. Although i do like Beckford and he is getting better by the week. I think bily could do a brilliant job just behind the striker, he has a real eye for goal and has a lovely technique. I honestly believe he could become something a bit special if he is deployed correctly.

Did Seamus play RB or on the wing last night? I personally hope he played at RB, as the more experience he gains here now the better it will serve us in the future.

Did Seamus play RB or on the wing last night? I personally hope he played at RB, as the more experience he gains here now the better it will serve us in the future.
From what I'm reading he was playing as a right midfielder, O'Shea was a right back.

Status
Not open for further replies.