SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT.jpeg

My conspiracy is VAR is used by the EPL to primarily protect its key products, what it sees as the elite clubs their positions must be protected for viewing figures. Having this lot so far behind is bad business. This is not sport anymore it's entertainment and unfortunately at this time we are the supporting act.

If it wernt for the lad football would have gone for me. And even he was left angry today, knows more about footy than his dad, playing to a fair standard and coaching with a championship side for a time.

I just think VAR holds up the game. It's ok in cricket or rugby which are sports that have quite lengthy pauses in them as a matter of course but football needs to flow along.

I don't honestly think there is foul play at work!

Scrapping it won't make an ounce of difference, it will just go back to the bent refs, allowing decisions, favouring the 'righteous', its happened ever since I started watching football!
true.

but this is about VAR and it looks like its being used as another tool to keep the #Skymoneyclubs from being toppled, same as 5 substitutes is

VAR is making the game not worth watching

There's absolutely nothing wrong with VAR as a concept or with the technology. The issue is all in the people using it.

I'm not one to go in for conspiracy theories - any real conspiracy at this level would involve too many people for all of them to keep their mouths completely shut. One whistleblower and the whole thing crumbles. Plus, like the old saying goes - don't necessarily attribute to malice what might just as easily be explained by incompetence.

That all said, it doesn't take an official conspiracy at the level of match-fixing or the like to account for the stuff going on here. Clearly the Premier League thinks that its astronomic growth worldwide depends on the "top" teams fighting it out until the very end, so the way they think that can be protected is to have the officials just shade those iffy calls a little in the favor of those "top" teams. 50-50 calls become 60-40.

Stuff like the Van Dijk foul and the West Ham "foul" on their called-off equalizer. Even to some extent the phantom offside on Coutinho near the end of the Villa game. All three of those could very well be argued or excused to some degree by an allegedly neutral observer. But who doubts how the arguments and the calls would change if the teams were reversed?

Van Dijk - plays for Liverpool - "Well, his foot was only on Onana's shin, not knee or higher. It's close, better to just go with the yellow."
Van Dijk - plays for Everton - "Studs up well above the ankle, could have broken his leg. Clear straight red."

Bowen - plays for West Ham - "Kicked the keeper on his way past, so the keeper couldn't get up to challenge the subsequent shot. Foul and no goal."
Bowen - plays for Chelsea - "The goalie parried the ball away. He wasn't trying to catch it. The rest of the play would have happened exactly as it did whether any contact was made at all, so that light contact was irrelevant. No foul. Goal stands."

Coutinho - plays for Villa - "Immediate offside flag. Who cares that the rule says close calls are supposed to default to no flag until after the play."
Coutinho - plays for City - "No immediate offside flag. If he scores, VAR checks and correctly rules onside."

I don't know how to feel about this, though, in the end. I can't stop caring about football, because I just love it too much. But I also don't watch professional wrestling, because I don't see the point in watching fake sports. So the closer we get to that level, maybe I'll have a decision to make some day.

Maybe at some level I'm just hoping that Everton eventually gets our place back in the "top" teams group and starts being the beneficiary of this nonsense instead of its victim.

I do like seeing the players starting to post on social media pointing out the ridiculous calls. When coaches do it, it just gets chalked off as sour grapes. But if enough of the players start doing it, it'll get harder to ignore.

My conspiracy is VAR is used by the EPL to primarily protect its key products, what it sees as the elite clubs their positions must be protected for viewing figures. Having this lot so far behind is bad business. This is not sport anymore it's entertainment and unfortunately at this time we are the supporting act.

If it wernt for the lad football would have gone for me. And even he was left angry today, knows more about footy than his dad, playing to a fair standard and coaching with a championship side for a time.
This post is the conspiracy to the letter, my 10 year old daughter rang me when I was on way home from the game and said the goal today was not offside she also then went on to say if that was them it would have stood, 10 years of age and she knows it's corrupt, var will end up alienating younger generations of fans who support clubs who are not part of the so called top 6 and don't benefit the viewing figures and the revenue stream

The problem with VAR (and nearly all of the rules) is that they are left open to interpretation (was it 'clear & obvious', was the tackle 'reckless and out of control', was it a goal scoring opportunity) which leads to the perception that the big teams are treat favourably. Rules that are black & white might lead to players being punished for unintentional actions, but at least we would be able to see that everyone was treat equally.
It’s just not possible to do that though, there’ll always be some room for interpretation however they’re written.

I’m not saying there’s no corruption in football but the main issue with refs and VAR is just them being crap.

Needs to be scrapped immediately, it's another fail safe for the big teams, when a referee can't save a big club var steps in. Corruption, I said at the time it was brought in what var would do .. I have not been proved wrong.
They don't even try to hide the fact they do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.