Saha and Cahill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxtethBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
I was just thinking, what would happen too Cahill if Saha stayed fit for a full season?

If we get the centre of midfield sorted we'd potentially have two strikers who can score 20 goals a season, despite all his qualities Tim is not capable of that.

I think it's going to be very interesting if Saha keeps fit for alot of the season, Moyes has said he will use him at every chance he gets.

I was just thinking, what would happen too Cahill if Saha stayed fit for a full season?

If we get the centre of midfield sorted we'd potentially have two strikers who can score 20 goals a season, despite all his qualities Tim is not capable of that.

I think it's going to be very interesting if Saha keeps fit for alot of the season, Moyes has said he will use him at every chance he gets.

Thought I'd give the appropriate weighting to that word ;)

I dont think Cahills place on the team wll ever be in jeopardy.

With Cahill we are a totally different oufit.

He's been out for a while so the people with short memories forget that.

I dont think Cahills place on the team wll ever be in jeopardy.

With Cahill we are a totally different oufit.

He's been out for a while so the people with short memories forget that.

When you think about it though we've only really played 4-5-1 because the centre midfield isn't suited to a 4-4-2 formation. Carsley and Osman didn't have the right tools to play in that formation, having Cahill there always gave us the extra man.

If we get Moutinho, another good centre midfielder or move Arteta centrally we'll have a midfield capable and mobile enough to play in a 4-4-2. If we can keep Saha fit for alot of the season he guarantees along with Yakubu 18-25 goals a season.

Just food for thought really, I don't think Cahill is as important as many think. If we improve the midfield which is possible 4-5-1 wouldn't be a must. Personally I don't fancy him in a 4-4-2.

I cant see us ever getting a full season out of Saha tbh 20-30 games max for him sadly as for Timmy he has to be wrapped up in cotton wool when he comes back becuase we're a far better side with him in there

I cant see us ever getting a full season out of Saha tbh 20-30 games max for him sadly as for Timmy he has to be wrapped up in cotton wool when he comes back becuase we're a far better side with him in there

He made 24 appearences last season, he's not as injury prone as people make out. He missed out alot last season because of the Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo partnership.

Cahill's a good attacking midfielder. In fact he's just a good player. If we had another good midfielder to play with him he could play in a 4-4-2 no problem. Maybe I just rate him a lot more than you do. I honestly think he's as valuable to us as Lampard is to Chelsea.

Even so 120 games in 4 and half years,regardless of whos in front of you isnt good news

Plus a couple of nasty knee injuries cant have helped the lad either (there never the same afterwards)

Cahill's a good attacking midfielder. In fact he's just a good player. If we had another good midfielder to play with him he could play in a 4-4-2 no problem. Maybe I just rate him a lot more than you do. I honestly think he's as valuable to us as Lampard is to Chelsea.
Timmy is our best player IMO but he plays better in a 4-5-1 formation for me at least :)

But your right he is our Lampard

In a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 I agree, he makes that formation and is the key player.

In a 4-4-2 he's not vital at all. The likes of Osman and Arteta are better a far more proven out and out centre midfielders. Cahill has always been very very hit and miss in a 4-4-2.

The problem with Cahill in a 4-4-2 is he isn't creative nor is he a ball winner. For him to play effectiely I think he'd need to play alongside a ball winner and a creative midfielder rolled into one. Someone who can create, defend and free Tim to play the box to box role.

I'm not a fan of not having a creative passer in the middle of the park, someone who can make things happen with a pass or a bit of magic. I also think it would be hard to get this creative ball winner, that type of player isn't in our range at the moment.

Obviously it all depends on the midfield, if we signed Moutinho which is rumoured I'd rather have him in a 4 man midfield than Cahill, he offers far more.

I just think it will be interesting, Saha is an excellent striker who can offer 20 goals a season give a run of games, Cahill on the other hand is an excellent second striker/attacking midfielder who also brings alot to the table in a 4-5-1 formation.

We'll wait and see, I suppose the more options we have the better.

I agree he's far better in the formations you say than 4-4-2. I just think a lot of people underestimate his allround game. You sum it up pretty well really, he's not particularly creative and he's not a ballwinner. Everything else though, he's good at. He's good at passing (dunno why people say he's not), shooting, heading, positioning and works very hard to close down even if he's not a ballwinner.

If we signed Moutinho (which I don't think we will), then I would play those two as centre mids together. Like you said in the past Cahill in 4-4-2 hasn't really worked but I think that's only because the other player hasn't been good enough to compensate for him. I'd definitely play Cahill over Ossie in centre mid. Arteta and Cahill would work too I reckon. I know you're not saying this, but I just don't get it when people say all he does is score goals and that he'd be better as a striker. That's just wrong, his contribution to the team in the midfield area is huge.

It is a funny position though, lots of teams have trouble fitting in their attacking midfielders.

I agree he's far better in the formations you say than 4-4-2. I just think a lot of people underestimate his allround game. You sum it up pretty well really, he's not particularly creative and he's not a ballwinner. Everything else though, he's good at. He's good at passing (dunno why people say he's not), shooting, heading, positioning and works very hard to close down even if he's not a ballwinner.

If we signed Moutinho (which I don't think we will), then I would play those two as centre mids together. Like you said in the past Cahill in 4-4-2 hasn't really worked but I think that's only because the other player hasn't been good enough to compensate for him. I'd definitely play Cahill over Ossie in centre mid. Arteta and Cahill would work too I reckon. I know you're not saying this, but I just don't get it when people say all he does is score goals and that he'd be better as a striker. That's just wrong, his contribution to the team in the midfield area is huge.

It is a funny position though, lots of teams have trouble fitting in their attacking midfielders.

We'll wait and see really, I like Tim but I don't think he's a must all the time. Alot of people will disagree but I think my points have been fair.

If we do get Moutinho maybe it will work. I'd like to see it at home against weaker opposition and see how it works. There both tenacious, they both get stuck in and they both work there socks off.

If we can improve the centre of midfield we'll have alot of different options and combinations, it can only be a good thing.

Think Moyes will go with 4-4-2 at home with the Yak and Saha upfront, with Saha dropping for Cahill to play 4-5-1 away or at home to the `top 4`..............

Status
Not open for further replies.