Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why there isn't more perspective from us lot as a collective.

Last season when he was single handedly ripping arsenal to shreds at the emirates, and Swansea away too, everyone on here was holding him up to be the saviour, the next Rooney, the next captain yaddy yah...

This season he's crap, lazy and needs to be dropped or sold.

Where's the middle ground? Why aren't more appreciating that this is what most players of inexperience go through? Last season there was no expectation, this season this is nothing but expectation.

You can visibly see on his face when on the ball that he is overthinking everything because he doesn't want 40,000 fans who used to sing his name to boo him.

I'm not saying cheer him when he gives the ball away, but he is right in the middle of a huge period of development for him both tactically - figuring out how to evade 2 men everytime he gets the ball who get tight to him so he can't accelerate, and mentally - dealing with criticism and the loss of confidence.

He needs support, both from his manager and from us. He is one of us remember, through and through.

What I don't understand is why there isn't more perspective from us lot as a collective.

Last season when he was single handedly ripping arsenal to shreds at the emirates, and Swansea away too, everyone on here was holding him up to be the saviour, the next Rooney, the next captain yaddy yah...

Where's the middle ground? Why aren't more appreciating that this is what most players of inexperience go through? Last season there was no expectation, this season this is nothing but expectation.

You can visibly see on his face when on the ball that he is overthinking everything because he doesn't want 40,000 fans who used to sing his name to boo him.

I'm not saying cheer him when he gives the ball away, but he is right in the middle of a huge period of development for him both tactically - figuring out how to evade 2 men everytime he gets the ball who get tight to him so he can't accelerate, and mentally - dealing with criticism and the loss of confidence.

He needs support, both from his manager and from us. He is one of us remember, through and through.
He could also do with some support from the team, in particular by getting tighter to him when he's going on a run, so that if the ball is lost we pounce on it to get it back and so reduce the type of criticism currently coming his way from the crowd.

I remember Sterling at the RS having a dip in form last season and Rodgers did the right thing and took the lad out of the team and he came back stronger.

This is what Barkley needs, he has no confidence on the ball and being taken out of the spotlight could also help him.

It would also solve the problem of shoehorning him and Naismith into the team for the time being. With ultimately Barkley claiming that spot when he returns.

'Single handedly ripped Arsenal to shreds at the Emirates' he did.

Was that in the 1-1 where he neither scored or got an assist, or was that in the 4-1 hammering we got?

I remember Sterling at the RS having a dip in form last season and Rodgers did the right thing and took the lad out of the team and he came back stronger.

This is what Barkley needs, he has no confidence on the ball and being taken out of the spotlight could also help him.

It would also solve the problem of shoehorning him and Naismith into the team for the time being. With ultimately Barkley claiming that spot when he returns.

I think we would've seen this done if not for Osman's injury. The reality is we'd be left with only Kone and Oviedo as attacking options on the bench if Barkley were dropped for a spell.

True, but I feel like the crowd would be more inclined to act positively towards Barkley, rightly or wrongly
They might but it just seems a bit sad how quickly we have turned against one of our own and that is all up to him to win back our favour.

Reminds me a touch of the depression thread. Berating someone for being lazy and lying in bed whilst sunk in the midst of gloom rarely works. Offering them encouragement, even if they do something as seemingly simple as get out of bed for a shower and out for a walk, can be a building block for them to try other things.

Similarly if we cheered the things in a game Ross did right, rather than yell at the things he does wrong, he is likely to gain a bit more confidence. Instead we've turned into a bunch of Roy Hodgsons.

They might but it just seems a bit sad how quickly we have turned against one of our own and that is all up to him to win back our favour.

Reminds me a touch of the depression thread. Berating someone for being lazy and lying in bed whilst sunk in the midst of gloom rarely works. Offering them encouragement, even if they do something as seemingly simple as get out of bed for a shower and out for a walk, can be a building block for them to try other things.

Similarly if we cheered the things in a game Ross did right, rather than yell at the things he does wrong, he is likely to gain a bit more confidence. Instead we've turned into a bunch of Roy Hodgsons.
Oh I completely agree. Unfortunately trying to get 40,000 angry, frustrated people all to think like that in the middle of the heat of a match is pretty unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.