Ronald Koeman

Ronald Koeman...good choice for us?

• yes, he'll get us top 6 and stability

• no, it's uninspiring even if top 6 is back on

• josé on toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He won his trophies in the dutch league though. With all due respect that's not the same as winning trophies in England.

Like I said walter smith has won more trophies in his career than all our other managers put together. But that didn't mean anything in England did it?
I think his standing as a legendary player was also a factor in bringing him in and I think the strength of his name alone will attract players.

it's not poor.

What did you want? Emery - unproven outside of Spain - had a disappointing league campaign despite the EL win (fantastic achievement)? Mourinho?

We finished 11th - two years running. Our best player is set to leave us.

The fact that we've managed to attract a manager as good and proven as Koeman shows we're heading in the right direction.
Yes i did want emery because his 3 european cups smash anything koeman has won s a manager into distance.

Als being unproven means absolutely nothing, it makes no difference to if a manager is a success or not.

Also please stop making out that Koeman is some sort of godly manager, he is not. He has had two good seasons in the premier league, not great ones and his career is decidedly average as a manager.

The only great thing about koeman is his playing career, his managerial career certainly does not warrant 7m a year.

Moyes was deemed a worthy successor of ferguson, ffs.

We tend to overate the merit in finishing 6th or 7th and fasttrack managers of that mold into jobs they're not capable of.
Moyes was a terrible player who had never managed at any of the worlds top clubs

There is no comparison between a Scottish beaut and one of the greatest players of his generation

Fairs. Though we went for Pel as well. The Esk confirmed. Moshiri wasn't impressed. Believed Pel was just out for a pay-day.

Right, your second point baffles me.

You've said we want the money to improve us, but you're moaning that we're using it to get in a manager that has finished in the European spots for the last two seasons and broke Sotton's record points total - in a period where we have finished 11th.

How is that not the literal definition of improvement?

The 'special' manages are taken by clubs in the Champions League - that's how it is. We interviewed Pelegrinni and it didn't sit right for Moshiri.

Its £25 million - at minimum - to get someone in with the aim of moving us five places up the league. If you think that is a sensible use of that amount of money then I can see why my point baffles you.

With regards to the European spots, yes he has got Southampton there in the past two years - but in the one campaign he has actually taken part in, they went out in August. The one team we managed to properly batter this season was them.

As for the "special" managers, it would be nice to get one of them but I understand why they are probably out of reach - but there is the level below that which is where we should be looking to recruit managers from; those that are up-and-coming and those who have done well elsewhere. From that pool, I fail to see how someone who last won something meaningful ten years ago, and who has had big jobs and failed, and who is at one of the best run clubs in the country anyway, is the standout candidate. When you add in how much more expensive he would be that almost all of them, its incredible if he is the one we are in for.

Moyes was a terrible player who had never managed at any of the worlds top clubs

There is no comparison between a Scottish beaut and one of the greatest players of his generation

Koeman has only managed at one of the world's top clubs. He has a worse record at that club than de Boer has.

Moyes was a terrible player who had never managed at any of the wields top clubs

I don't want to be too down on koeman. It was just 'manager finished 6th suddenly is in the frame to take over from wenger', doesn't mean too much for me.

Martinez was talked up as wenger's replacement, zola was talked up as ancelotti's, moyes actually got ferguson's job, etc, etc.

I think we have to look at it long term. I don't pretend to know what Moshiri is thinking but.

Do you go all out for someone who has never worked in the prem, even though there are good examples that that doesn't matter, there has also been a few disasters. Granted we could get instant success but what if we don't.

Or do you go for someone who knows the prem, can steady the ship, see how he goes for a couple of years and then rethink again.

Everton is in a mess right now, from the boardroom down, and I think it needs rebuilding all throughout the club.
The last thing we need right now is a gamble.

Sorry I would put Ajax, PSV, Benfica and Valencia as 4 of the worlds top clubs.

Ok then, lets look at his record at those clubs as well. At PSV, he took over Hiddink's squad and managed to spawn the league title (blowing a 12 point lead, and only winning it thanks to AZ messing up). At Benfica, he finished third in what is a three team league but he did win their version of the Charity Shield (Benfica had won the league the year before he was appointed). At Valencia, he took over a team in November that was at that time four points off the top of the league and which included David Villa, David Silva, Juan Mata, Ever Banega and Carlos Marchena and would probably have relegated them if they hadn't sacked him in April of the same season.

Twenty five million pounds for him.

I'm happy but not incredibly excited at the prospect of Koeman being our manager. £7m a year seems very steep...unbelievable even.

Who else is on that kind of money?

I'm happy but not incredibly excited at the prospect of Koeman being our manager. £7m a year seems very steep...unbelievable even.

There was a list posted before, basically its Mou, Pep, Wenger, Conte, Klopp and Pochettino who would be paid more than him.

Conte Guardiola Poch Wenger Klopp Mourinho

I think it's about where he should be paid - 6th or 7th highest in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.