Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again... Burnley put 3 passed Chelsea last week in the same circumstances as us last night. The gap there being wider.

We can argue about players and money spent, but surely you think we shouldve played better in that 2nd half with a goal and a man advantage. Even Koeman recognises this.

The difference was that Chelsea acted like drama queens after the first red and stopped playing football.

City acted like drama queens but never stopped attacking with speed.

Again... Burnley put 3 passed Chelsea last week in the same circumstances as us last night. The gap there being wider.

We can argue about players and money spent, but surely you think we shouldve played better in that 2nd half with a goal and a man advantage. Even Koeman recognises this.

I see your point, every now and then one of these results happens and we think along the lines of "why can we not do that".

We are due a win at one of the big guns venues and were very close to getting one last night, especially with a man advantage for so long.

Mixed feelings about last night. I'm sure most of us would have taken a draw before kick off, but I can't help but feel it was an opportunity missed to get the win. Reminded me a bit of our game away at Utd last season, defending well but too deep which inevitably led to a mistake.

Having said that, not many teams will pick up points at the Etihad this season and I can't single anyone out for having a poor game, city are just too strong even with 10 men.

Progress on Thursday and we've had a very good first 6 games of the season

This for me... I think at the end of the season this will seem like a good result, I can see Man City handing out some real pastings this season.
But against 10 men, second half I don't think our tactics were quite right

His tactics from the off were spot on. Man marking Silva kept him out of the game and City weren't their usually flowing self. He'd identified the left side of their 3 as the weak point and put Calvert Lewin out there to look to play in behind, and it worked. Pep swapped his CB's over to try and reduce the threat.

In that first half we restricted them to pot shots from distance in the main, but got slightly lucky with the shot that came back off the post, just before we went up the other end and scored.

2nd half Pep changed it, looked to get some width into their play as the central areas were too congested, and Koeman reacted by going to a back 4 and looking to press their backline higher up the pitch. The goal was disappointing as it was about the only thing that Holgate did wrong all night, but it was a lovely finish from Sterling tbf.

The cry arsing that we didn't somehow steam roller 10 men in the second half defies belief tbh.

His tactics from the off were spot on. Man marking Silva kept him out of the game and City weren't their usually flowing self. He'd identified the left side of their 3 as the weak point and put Calvert Lewin out there to look to play in behind, and it worked. Pep swapped his CB's over to try and reduce the threat.

In that first half we restricted them to pot shots from distance in the main, but got slightly lucky with the shot that came back off the post, just before we went up the other end and scored.

2nd half Pep changed it, looked to get some width into their play as the central areas were too congested, and Koeman reacted by going to a back 4 and looking to press their backline higher up the pitch. The goal was disappointing as it was about the only thing that Holgate did wrong all night, but it was a lovely finish from Sterling tbf.

The cry arsing that we didn't somehow steam roller 10 men in the second half defies belief tbh.

One thing I mentioned last night which also he gets brownie points for is putting Holgate on Sane. Worked like a dream up until Sane was hooked off.

We were very poor. Lucky to get the goal, luckier for them to have a man sent off and still didn't even look like we'd get anything out of the game.

They've got one of the best midfields in Europe and a truly world class striker.

They will spank a lot of teams this season.

We weren't pleasing on the eye, but very well organised and every player put a full shift in.

We had a few half chances and the goal that Rooney scored.

We're a work in progress and City are several years ahead of us.

I think all in all a draw was a very good result.

* please pipe down x

Burnley conceded against 10 men and the conceded again with 9 men on the pitch. Numerical advantage should give you hope that you can win, but it's not necessarily a certainty against the top teams away from home. The biggest disappointment for me is we dropped 2 points and I fear the worst playing Chelsea away so soon after split away.

Missed Sandro last night, would have been nice for that added bite upfront after Rooney and DCL had put their shifts in, highlights that we absolutely need another forward.

Overall I'll take the result, would have been nice to put an early marker down about our credentials this season but I guess we'll just have to whoop Chelsea next time out after we've dealt with the farmers in mid-week.

Status
Not open for further replies.