Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get overly carried away. My reading is he's been told we're spending big in the summer and he's agreed to give one more season to see if we can crack the top 4. Personally I begrudgingly accept 'loyalty' is a thing of the past. so based on this if we don't achieve top 4 or at the least win a trophy next season, I think the boys entitled to move his career on. As long as a huge wedge is forthcoming.

I would imagine that both Lukaku and Raiola have been in continuous talks with both Koeman and Moshiri. Probably convinced him/them that we are moving in the right direction and at the same time a new contract will not close any doors to him leaving if an offer comes in that interests all parties.

It contains a release clause which is set in stone, and means he can't try and force through a move until that clause is met. It is significant.

Didn't say it wasn't significant. I'd be ecstatic if he signs a new contract because he is more likely to stay with us longer. Again, it's no guarantee. But we can't speculate about what the contract may hold because it's only just rumours.

but there is two options, he signs a contract or he doesn't sign a contract... it looks like he is signing a contract what else can he do? get a tattoo of everton on his fod to show he wants to stay?

It's just rumours at the moment. But many, many players have signed bumper deals only to move the following season or not long after.

I wouldn't get overly carried away. My reading is he's been told we're spending big in the summer and he's agreed to give one more season to see if we can crack the top 4. Personally I begrudgingly accept 'loyalty' is a thing of the past. so based on this if we don't achieve top 4 or at the least win a trophy next season, I think the boys entitled to move his career on. As long as a huge wedge is forthcoming.

This. There'll be a gentleman's agreement that if we're not playing in the CL season after next, he can go for a big fee.

Edit: I'm fine and even delighted with that tbh

If it means we retain him at least for the entirety of next season, I'll be delighted. If we're not making significant progress by this time next year (much stronger squad & more competitive), I feel he will then be entitled to give it a crack elsewhere after what will be 5 seasons with us (although I'd love him to stay for the long term regardless, but I don't think that's realistic unless we're competing/winning/playing the UCL).

Are you just naive or do you not understand footballers agents?
They know exactly what's on the table from Everton at the moment, he has a choice of settling for that or he seeing if anything better comes along.
He'll not lose any money at all, if he signs a new contract then his release clause will no doubt double thus putting off buyers. Other clubs will increase his signing on fee and the Agents fees massively to compensate them for not doubling the price Everton would be the only ones to lose out and the buying club still save a lot of money
That and Everton's offer will also only get better the more desperate we get. He has to sign or be sold, we won't let him walk for free at the end of his contract.

Both he and his Agent will make much more money by keeping their options open as long as they can.

No, if he gets no better offer in the Summer then he'll sign.

...I must be naive, Mate.

Talksport is vehemently anti-Everton (Collymore excepted) and it never ceases to amaze me why blues listen to it. I only ever put it on when I am driving and they are broadcasting a game. Follow my lead!

Stan is long gone.

Jim White, now hosting their flagship mid morning programme, is anything but "anti-Everton".

And Mike Parry might be a big mouthed oaf but he is a True Blue and doesn't hide it on the TS airwaves.

Paul Hawksbee is always very sympathetic to Everton.

What Durham did yesterday is his stock in trade.....pick a club, say sommat outrageous and get people to phone in.

Yesterday he just happened to take a break from winding up Arsenal fans by riling us up lol

did his agent not say two months ago the contract was 99% done?

I would not listen to his agent for reliability, although i will hope this case he is.

How does that contradict what he is saying today? He said he was close to signing, now he's saying he is signing. What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.