Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
36e547b1d644495dbfc8867bfec39041.jpg

Please use this thread for all discussion relating to Romelu Lukaku's 2015/16 match performances.

Feel free to start new threads regarding any new topics of discussion relating to this player - new contracts, player quotes, transfer news etc.​

He was his usual self today, looked good when picking the ball up deep and running at defenders or with space, poor when trying to hold the ball up in tight spaces.

However one thing i've noticed before and happened at least twice today was when we got the ball behind the defense in wide positions to be played across goal he often seems to stay near the edge of the area/sitting back for a pull back.

Now i don't havew a problem with that, thats his style and he's often in space and unmarked. But our players don't look for him and play it across goal instead.

Which again is fine, if someone is attacking the ball in front of the goal.

But when our striker doesn't do that either he needs to start doing so, or the players need to start looking for the cut back to him more.

Be even worse when Deulofeu plays cause he loves a hard cross drilled across the face of the goal, and Lukaku is stood on the penalty spot waiting for a cut back.

The fellers crucial for us and he's as good as we can get up front, IMO. However. One thing I don't like that seems to have crept into his game is him not fancying challenging GKs on through balls. He has the habit now of ducking out of any 50/50s, possibly thinking of the impact.

I can't stand seeing that from a forward. We don't want him injured, but he should be putting himself on the line in games a bit more in that respect. We defo need a meaner character up front coming into the team. I think we're a bit soft in terms of imposing ourselves physically in the final third sometimes.

The fellers crucial for us and he's as good as we can get up front, IMO. However. One thing I don't like that seems to have crept into his game is him not fancying challenging GKs on through balls. He has the habit now of ducking out of any 50/50s, possibly thinking of the impact.

I can't stand seeing that from a forward. We don't want him injured, but he should be putting himself on the line in games a bit more in that respect. We defo need a meaner character up front coming into the team. I think we're a bit soft in terms of imposing ourselves physically in the final third sometimes.
Maybe that collision with Lloris 2 years ago makes him think twice now? Just a thought.

Your second paragraph just screams out Charlie Austin, he could do the dirty work and Lukaku will thrive. Just like today kind of, but a lot better.

Was poor for the most part...surely some of it down to fitness.

Was better when Kone came on and Barkley was deeper. That said...Kone did more in his cameo than Rom did all game.

Won the ball a lot more in the air. Had some good flick ons. Players need to learn to read it.
Should have buried that header though.

Won the ball a lot more in the air. Had some good flick ons. Players need to learn to read it.
Should have buried that header though.

Harsh that really. Ball was just too a shade too high for him. The Kone miss was 10x worse.

Was poor for the most part...surely some of it down to fitness.

Was better when Kone came on and Barkley was deeper. That said...Kone did more in his cameo than Rom did all game.

I don't think that was the case personally - I think it was the usual; the fact he was asked to do an Emile Heskey impression due to our tactical setup when he has no first touch whatsoever.

It was telling that his most meaningful moments of the game was when going for a header when on the shoulder of the last man, and when he was allowed to use his strength on the last man to roll him and distribute forward instead of backwards when the ball had lost its' momentum.

Basically, he was a liability today because of how we use him - but that's been the case for every minute he's been in an Everton shirt now since we started using him the way we do. It's the biggest mystery for me with Martinez - why buy a £30m slotter and use him as a League 1 standard hold up striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.