Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 up top doesn't work as a week in week out formation. To many teams would dominate the midfield. That's the reason that no one plays that way anymore, other than to spring a suprise or later on in a game.

Of course it's an option but it's not the solution.

Play 2 the strengths of the players. 4-3-3 with 1 holding is clearly our best suited option currently. And play through to lukaku not through him!

Hopefully injuries made that impossible yesterday not Roberto's tactical nous.

We should be able to play with two strikers easily. We've got two frigging defensive midfielders on. The fact is one of those spaces is a nothing selection because Barry does half a job when we don't have the ball. Saying we can't play with two strikers when we have the midfield set up we do shows the midfield unit isn't doing it's job. We shipped two goals yesterday against Watford. Granted they were up for it but whenever a team goes at us we look like conceding.

I'm really fed up of Martinezs persistence with Barry, he slows everything down when we have the ball and this idea that he provides protection to our back four is a complete myth. If you watch him he jogs around from side to side in midfield and often lets people run off him. He's a good squad option but at his age and performance levels for the last year, shouldn't be starting every game.

People can say Barkley and cleverley are too forward minded to playing in Barry's position but imo they would offer more than him to the team. They're more mobile, move the ball quicker and have an eye to getting things going forward. We played cleverley on the right yesterday ffs. Team selection is doing my tree in.

And lukaku was turd yesterday, barely looked interested.

Big lazy half arsed beaut.

That sumps up my current feelings on him. If he was half as good as he thinks he is, he'd win the Ballon D'or.

I am trying to be unbiased and not judging him on his first appearance for the new season, I will give him 3-5 matches before I start ripping him apart, but even if his attitude and desire to play doesn't improve, everyone can see his attitude and work ethic on the pitch as well as him throwing his hands up every time he doesn't get the ball for a shot. If he continues on the path he is, unfortunately for us no one will want him either.

No movement, lacks the intelligence to even attempt to, no anticipation, poor control, poor heading and switches off.

I don't care about his age, bang that drum somewhere else, this is his 4th full season in English football and his 5th overall.

Lukaku makes good runs but doesn't get the ball played through enough. And the negativity from the crowd doesn't help him when he does get it..

Lukaku makes a mistake groans n swearing at him
Cleverly makes a mistake oh unlucky clev

It was like this last season with Lennon too oh unlucky for that terrible low cross but f off with them snide corners Baines

Play to his strengths. Don't take 25 passes in midfield to give the opposition time to get there defence set up. We take so long to move the ball forward the opposition has all their players in position. Lukaku has nowhere to go and we don't have someone to unlock a defence either by a telling pass in tight areas or by taking on and beating defenders in tight areas.
We play players out of position and the ones who we do play in position we ignore their natural strengths.

He's got a terrible first touch. I don't think that's the kind of thing that can be taught.

He doesn't jump properly for headers. Maybe that's a courage issue.

He doesn't look fit either, obviously that can be worked on.

But as for finishing, I don't think you can say we don't create chances far him. I don't just mean though balls and one on ones (all strikers should be putting those away). There were a few games last season, league and uefa cup he seriously could and should have scored five on six.

Too many extreme views on Lukaku on here. He wasn't great yesterday and when he's not appearing to put the effort in, people remember that he cost about twice as much as our previous record signing.
He was bad yesterday, but still showed his worth in flashes, particularly when holding the ball up and laying it off to Kone for the second equaliser. This maybe shows what he could do with a strike partner, or at least a number 10 playing alongside him.
Anyway, at the moment we don't have anyone else.
With a bit of historical perspective, it should also be remembered that some of our great strikers only came alive in flashes - Young, Royle, Latchford, Sharp and Cottee to name but a few.

He's clearly not fit at the moment.
Just spoke to my older brother who was at the game - rumours in the ground from the off he played with a pain killing injection - My brothr stated he could hardly run , and was poor !
Is it any wonder when Kone came on he did more holding the ball up and looked faster why play someone injured if the rumour was true , and TBF it looked like it!

Lukaku makes good runs but doesn't get the ball played through enough. And the negativity from the crowd doesn't help him when he does get it..

Lukaku makes a mistake groans n swearing at him
Cleverly makes a mistake oh unlucky clev

It was like this last season with Lennon too oh unlucky for that terrible low cross but f off with them snide corners Baines
This is very true. The issue is that once the crowd has seen world class ability, they expect it week in week out. We all know Lukaku and Baines are capable of world class moments so a lot of the crowd expect it in everything they do. Cleverley and Lennon run their balls off and we will them to come good because we don't know if they're capable of world class moments.

A through ball or one over the top every now and then may help him.

Playing 40 yards from goal with his back facing the defence does not

We do, but he's always offside.
Maybe if he could keep himself onside our midfield wouldn't lose possession or run into trouble dallying on the ball because he's sauntering back onside.

Status
Not open for further replies.