Confirmed Signing Robin Olsen

Status
Not open for further replies.
think pickford will be in goal for derby but if he fails again he's out hopefully this guy is adequate enough to step up and perform the jury's out.

Nailed it.

Also it feels a bit reactionary/kneejerk to me.

Unless, Lossl is keen to go/we see Lossl leave shortly (or even Virginia out on loan). We've only just give Virginia a long term deal so they must see something in him...

Really hope Virginia gets a loan and does better than his last loan - I don't understand why we'd give him a new deal if he isn't good enough to push Pickford personally.

Hopefully Robin proves us wrong!

Nailed it.

Also it feels a bit reactionary/kneejerk to me.

Unless, Lossl is keen to go/we see Lossl leave shortly (or even Virginia out on loan). We've only just give Virginia a long term deal so they must see something in him...

Probably was reactionary in that Ancelotti didn’t foresee Pickford being this awful. Only my opinion, of course, but I don’t think Ancelotti rates Pickford but probably didn’t see him as a major problem until Fleetwood and Brighton and decided he needed to act now and bring in someone who will genuinely give him competition. Next season we’ll look for a proper no.1

I was saying Joe Hart earlier in the summer.

Wage similar to Lossl I'd imagine and some serious competition for Pickford.

Don't understand where the Donnarumma shouts are coming from?

Hart seems to have been on a decline for a period of time now. The DOF thinks Olsen is better competition and will live and die by it.

As for Donnarumma, I suppose there's a lot of 2+2=27 going on. It does make a lot of sense, and I'd be delighted, but whether it's him or another as a club I think we all know what the next area to strengthen needs to be.

I said he was third choice after Romero and Gazzaniga.
You replied saying there's no proof Everton tried to sign them - before then deciding to offer specific intricacies of the proposed deal for Romero as well as the logic for us not signing him.

By the looks/sounds of it we tried to get them all on loan, that's all, obviously in that scenario Romero and Gazzaniga were not viable options (rightly so, why would they loan us a keeper to improve us). So realistically these moves were never going to happen.

It seems there was never a plan to replace Pickford as such this summer and these moves were just there to give us another option, that has been done.

Robin Olsen did well in Malmö and Copenhagen (including Champions League in which he had one of the best save percentages) and shut out Italy in the world Cup play offs helping Sweden to qualify to the world cup. He also did well in the world cup helping Sweden reach the QF.

He was then brought to Roma by Monchi. This transfer however upset a lot of Italian as they were still seething about getting knocked out by Sweden in the QF which was incredibly shocking to the entire nation.

Robin Olsen was never welcomed in Roma. The fans and media were furious about this transfer from the get go. But Robin Olsen didn’t really flop at Roma. That Roma team was [Poor language removed] (like todays Roma) and fans just blamed the decline on a person they already hated because of the WC play offs.

Roma then brought in Pau Lopez and Robin Olsen went on loan to Cagliari to replace a injured Cragno. In Cagliari he was arguably one of the best goalkeepers in the league. Not on level with the very best but better than for instance Pau Lopez.

I don’t know if he will make it in Everton. That seems like a step up to Roma. But he’s not brought in as a first option but rather as a second or third, and he is absolutely good enough for that job.

I love these kind of posts on GOT, bit of background history on why the player hasn't settled or done as well as they hoped.

Fingers crossed its a new start for him and he does well for us.

We need a keeper who is decent on crosses. Commands his area. Pickford always looks like there’s an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully this big Swede is more consistent.

We need a keeper who is decent on crosses. Commands his area. Pickford always looks like there’s an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully this big Swede is more consistent.
I’ve never seen him play unless it was in international and I didn’t notice him. Hopefully he comes in and does well if called upon. Will remain open minded.

Don’t see him starting in the derby mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.