Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://readeverton.com/2016/01/28/liar-liar-medias-immaculate-manager/
IMMACULATE MANAGER

The managerial PR spiel is a common occurrence in modern day football, and no manager is quite as adept as Everton’s Roberto Martinez.

A happy-go-lucky character with a hypnotic voice who sees no evil and speaks no evil. Promises and proclamations that Champions League football were abound, all the while returning Everton to the School of Science – and that was just in his first press conference. A perfect mouthpiece for any club when faced with national and local press and all delivered with a wry smile upon his face.

However, the Spaniards silky tones have ever so slowly turned to the gentle hiss of the snake oil salesmen to the Goodison faithful over the past 18 months.

One win in ten, three wins since September – all coming against the current bottom three – and just 18 league wins since the beginning of the 2014/15 season and you can see why frustration has begun to boil over. Yet Martinez has remained relatively untouched by the media and it’s seemingly down to his charm offensive.

After a horrific capitulation at home against Stoke in December, Martinez said: “At the moment there is a bigger picture, nobody has got their position safe.”

“Everyone is fighting for their starting spot, and it’s no different for anyone.”

Nice words for a team that had just thrown away a 3-2 lead – not for the first time this season and it wouldn’t be the last – yet the error riddled Tim Howard is immune from his own words.

“Tim Howard has always been so important…but his role on the pitch is more important than individual performance.”

How can a single player be an exception to your own rallying cry? 12 months earlier the goalkeeper position had been the managers key target and within months with no upheaval in form, all had been forgotten.

These contradictions aren’t Martinez’s only grievance in the press room however.

Constant talk of external factors being at fault for performances have been a reoccurring theme for the Catalonian in recent weeks.

“I don’t think we got any luck,” after the most recent Premier League loss to Swansea where only two shots on target were made.

“The referee wasn’t up to the required level today,” after dropping two separate leads in the away performance at Chelsea.

“I think the fans have got a big role to play in helping our young players,” after a dreadful 1-1 draw away at Norwich and describing Everton’s fifth consecutive home game without a win as a “negative outcome of a fearful attitude,” Sunday night.

It’s a blame game where there is no self reflection on an underachieving season and no one within is culpable for any poor performance.

And now, his excuses have transferred into Everton’s safe space in the Capital One Cup.

“It’s so clear, and so big in the way the game was developing. It’s heartbreaking. I don’t think anyone would disagree that that goal was the major change in the tie,” speaking about Manchester City’s second goal of the night where Raheem Sterling ran the ball out of play before providing an all important assist.

While there is a truthful and a major gripe to be had with the failure to spot the infringement by Martin Aktinson, the idea that the game was “developing” in any way not towards a second Manchester City goal is laughable.

Poor substitutions and adopting a backs to the wall defensive shape had invited the home team on and allowed Martinez’s Everton to concede three times in a game, where in similar fashion to Dynamo Kiev last season, a 0-0 would have put Everton one step closer to a trophy.

It may well be a different story behind closed doors but the fans appreciate honesty and it’s something that hasn’t been present in Martinez’s tenure.

Now admittedly, Evertonians have been a cautious bunch for quite some while. A sell to buy system that ensures its best aren’t on the Toffee’s books for long and the much publicised 21 year wait for silverware have helped forge a pessimistic cloud above the blue half of L4.

However, throwing excuse after excuse at the wall in the hope they’ll stick with continued pleas for patience just aren’t going to cut it this time around.

The famous quote attributed to Albert Einstein about insanity is evidently applicable to Roberto Martinez but it’s just as pertinent to the media who refuse to question just what the charismatic managers P.R really stands for – as at the moment it’s pestilent rhetoric.

I really really really want the man to turn it around. I also want honesty from him.

In his first year, he improved on Moyes.

2012/13 6 Everton 38 16 15 7 55 40 +15 63 Moyes
2013/14 5 Everton 38 21 09 8 61 39 +22 72 Martinez

Think we ought to leave it mate, we won't change their minds.

For me, as a 20 year old who obviously never saw the 80s team, I'm currently watching the best football I have ever seen played by an Everton side at times this season. Some of it has been sublime, and stuff we could never dream of a few years ago.

Our defending over the past two seasons has not been up to scratch, and that's down to a plethora of issues. But this negativity only breeds negativity around the place. Goodison is a drain at the moment.

There's a lad on twitter as well at the moment, around my age I think, making some really good points.

Then again, just seen a tweet saying 'why was Naimsith not brought on last night when you needed him...'

http://readeverton.com/2016/01/28/liar-liar-medias-immaculate-manager/
IMMACULATE MANAGER

The managerial PR spiel is a common occurrence in modern day football, and no manager is quite as adept as Everton’s Roberto Martinez.

A happy-go-lucky character with a hypnotic voice who sees no evil and speaks no evil. Promises and proclamations that Champions League football were abound, all the while returning Everton to the School of Science – and that was just in his first press conference. A perfect mouthpiece for any club when faced with national and local press and all delivered with a wry smile upon his face.

However, the Spaniards silky tones have ever so slowly turned to the gentle hiss of the snake oil salesmen to the Goodison faithful over the past 18 months.

One win in ten, three wins since September – all coming against the current bottom three – and just 18 league wins since the beginning of the 2014/15 season and you can see why frustration has begun to boil over. Yet Martinez has remained relatively untouched by the media and it’s seemingly down to his charm offensive.

After a horrific capitulation at home against Stoke in December, Martinez said: “At the moment there is a bigger picture, nobody has got their position safe.”

“Everyone is fighting for their starting spot, and it’s no different for anyone.”

Nice words for a team that had just thrown away a 3-2 lead – not for the first time this season and it wouldn’t be the last – yet the error riddled Tim Howard is immune from his own words.

“Tim Howard has always been so important…but his role on the pitch is more important than individual performance.”

How can a single player be an exception to your own rallying cry? 12 months earlier the goalkeeper position had been the managers key target and within months with no upheaval in form, all had been forgotten.

These contradictions aren’t Martinez’s only grievance in the press room however.

Constant talk of external factors being at fault for performances have been a reoccurring theme for the Catalonian in recent weeks.

“I don’t think we got any luck,” after the most recent Premier League loss to Swansea where only two shots on target were made.

“The referee wasn’t up to the required level today,” after dropping two separate leads in the away performance at Chelsea.

“I think the fans have got a big role to play in helping our young players,” after a dreadful 1-1 draw away at Norwich and describing Everton’s fifth consecutive home game without a win as a “negative outcome of a fearful attitude,” Sunday night.

It’s a blame game where there is no self reflection on an underachieving season and no one within is culpable for any poor performance.

And now, his excuses have transferred into Everton’s safe space in the Capital One Cup.

“It’s so clear, and so big in the way the game was developing. It’s heartbreaking. I don’t think anyone would disagree that that goal was the major change in the tie,” speaking about Manchester City’s second goal of the night where Raheem Sterling ran the ball out of play before providing an all important assist.

While there is a truthful and a major gripe to be had with the failure to spot the infringement by Martin Aktinson, the idea that the game was “developing” in any way not towards a second Manchester City goal is laughable.

Poor substitutions and adopting a backs to the wall defensive shape had invited the home team on and allowed Martinez’s Everton to concede three times in a game, where in similar fashion to Dynamo Kiev last season, a 0-0 would have put Everton one step closer to a trophy.

It may well be a different story behind closed doors but the fans appreciate honesty and it’s something that hasn’t been present in Martinez’s tenure.

Now admittedly, Evertonians have been a cautious bunch for quite some while. A sell to buy system that ensures its best aren’t on the Toffee’s books for long and the much publicised 21 year wait for silverware have helped forge a pessimistic cloud above the blue half of L4.

However, throwing excuse after excuse at the wall in the hope they’ll stick with continued pleas for patience just aren’t going to cut it this time around.

The famous quote attributed to Albert Einstein about insanity is evidently applicable to Roberto Martinez but it’s just as pertinent to the media who refuse to question just what the charismatic managers P.R really stands for – as at the moment it’s pestilent rhetoric.

I really really really want the man to turn it around. I also want honesty from him.

The only thing he's tried time and time again is playing Howard in goal.

He tried to mix it up yesterday and defend a lead against a team that have only been stopped scoring once in the past year (by us a few weeks back), he's getting slaughtered for it.

If he had gone to attack them, and we'd lost, he'd have been slaughtered for it.

Catch 22. Fans over-reacting. Doom and gloom. Boring. (not you particularly, just the general 'Martinez Out' cries because of that result)

And his second and third years...
Not sure how many we've scored though... reckon they'll be about equal...but nobodies brought that up yet...

Edit: Found them, oh the wonders of the internet if you're wanting to put forward a balanced argument...

2014/15: Goals For total (all comps) = 72 | Goals Against total (all comps) = 66. Dif = +6
2015/16: Goals For total (all comps) = 55 | Goals Against total (all comps) = 43. Dif = + 12

So, goals scored in 80 games across all comps since the beginning of last season = 127. (1.6 per-game when rounded up)

Goals conceded in 80 games across all comps since the beginning of last season = 110. (1.4 per-game when rounded up)

Last edited:

He tried to mix it up yesterday and defend a lead against a team that have only been stopped scoring once in the past year (by us a few weeks back), he's getting slaughtered for it.

If he had gone to attack them, and we'd lost, he'd have been slaughtered for it.

Catch 22. Fans over-reacting. Doom and gloom. Boring. (not you particularly, just the general 'Martinez Out' cries because of that result)

Tried to stop them scoring? Are you kidding?

If he had wanted to do that he'd have shoved five at the back. He's never done that. Not once.

Not sure how many we've scored though... reckon they'll be about equal...but nobodies brought that up yet...

Edit: Found them, oh the wonders of the internet if you're wanting to put forward a balanced argument...

2014/15: Goals For total (all comps) = 72 | Goals Against total (all comps) = 66. Dif = +6
2015/16: Goals For total (all comps) = 55 | Goals Against total (all comps) = 43. Dif = + 12

So, goals scored in 80 games across all comps since the beginning of last season = 127. (1.6 per-game when rounded up)

Goals conceded in 80 games across all comps since the beginning of last season = 109. (1.3 per-game when rounded up)

To amend the above, the 110 goals since last season stat (which has been branded about online) is actually wrong - it's 109 ;)

What does that even mean???

What does it mean? Erm

Should Roberto Martinez, the Everton manager, decide that the objective of the previous football match (against Manchester City FC) was to prevent the situation where Everton Football Club would concede a goal and thus lose the lead that we had worked so tirelessly to attain, he would have placed five defenders in the team, in order to repel Manchester City FC's attacks. This is instead of the actual decisions he made, which included (but were not limited to) playing one 'Leon Osman' (a small player not known for his defensive qualities) further back in midfield.

I don't think I can make it any clearer than that but let me know if you still don't understand xx

What does it mean? Erm

Should Roberto Martinez, the Everton manager, decide that the objective of the previous football match (against Manchester City FC) was to prevent the situation where Everton Football Club would concede a goal and thus lose the lead that we had worked so tirelessly to attain, he would have placed five defenders in the team, in order to repel Manchester City FC's attacks. This is instead of the actual decisions he made, which included (but were not limited to) playing one 'Leon Osman' (a small player not known for his defensive qualities) further back in midfield.

I don't think I can make it any clearer than that but let me know if you still don't understand xx

Erm you don't have to play 5 at the back mate to defend a lead. We didn't play 5 at the back when we drew 0-0 a few weeks ago there

Osman did well - he set up Barkley for our goal....

Tried to stop them scoring? Are you kidding?

If he had wanted to do that he'd have shoved five at the back. He's never done that. Not once.

He's often played a back three plus wingbacks. Does that count as five?

He used to switch to 3-5-2 to protect a lead, but he switched to a back three for the last ten minutes at home to Liverpool in February 2015 to release Coleman down the wing.

And this is the team he played in the last game at Anfield. How many defenders played in this? I'm not sure how they lined up.

Howard
Hibbert Stones Jagielka Baines
McCarthy Barry Besic
Lukaku Naismith Mirallas

But I forgot. Martinez is the man with no Plan B.

Erm you don't have to play 5 at the back mate to defend a lead. We didn't play 5 at the back when we drew 0-0 a few weeks ago there

Osman did well - he set up Barkley for our goal....

Clearly 4 at the back isn't enough

And Osman was absolutely dreadful once told to fall further back (after Barkley scored his goal)

Tbh I know I'm not a footy manager. I was happy that he was more proactive with subs and that we seemed, initially, to have more resolve. I could see the reasoning behind Kone hopefully holding it up and McCarthy being more gritty. I'm not fed up with Martinez due to that result. It's infinitesimally less annoying than a lot of matches this season. Although I'd have to think the board will have to plan for a change in manager, I don't like the thought of his time potentially ending with a disgruntled fanbase. Very different from when we thought he'd be Barca bound!

He's often played a back three plus wingbacks. Does that count as five?

He used to switch to 3-5-2 to protect a lead, but he switched to a back three for the last ten minutes at home to Liverpool in February 2015 to release Coleman down the wing.

And this is the team he played in the last game at Anfield. How many defenders played in this? I'm not sure how they lined up.

Howard
Hibbert Stones Jagielka Baines
McCarthy Barry Besic
Lukaku Naismith Mirallas

But I forgot. Martinez is the man with no Plan B.

I've never seen him play a true back three.

He's had Barry slot in, yes, but I'm very sure he's never played three centre backs.

I've never seen him play a true back three.

He's had Barry slot in, yes, but I'm very sure he's never played three centre backs.

You've never noticed. As I said, at home to Liverpool last season, he brought on Alcaraz for Besic and played;

Stones Jagielka Alcaraz

Baines and Coleman switched to wingback. Coleman was released on the right wing and nearly scored a late winner.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.