Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here mate. We have been in the relegation zone for a fortnight now and there is only one way out of it and that is if we win and even then we have to hope that Leeds or Burnley don't win. We haven't won away since about last August so it is long overdue and Leicester are beatable if the lads put the same effort in as they have in the recent games.

Got to get out of the relegation zone first and foremost to give us something to work with and it is doable this weekend.

yep let’s hope so mate ;)

Reactions: Lob
Here's Buzz's current outlook for our relegation dogfight.

Leicester are on a 5 game run without a win with only 4 goals in 5 games so now is a good time to play them. If we can show the kind of fight we've shown in some recent games then who knows. But we're away from home and our away form is abysmal so I'd predict an awful defeat but would happily take a draw. Let's assume no points from this one.

Watford have the worst home record in the league with just 2 wins and a draw from 17 games and only 16 goals scored. If there is an away game we can get points from it has to be this one. Watford gave us a freak 5-2 defeat at Goodison and we need to be looking to exact revenge on them. I can see us putting in a better away performace for this one and coming away with all 3 points.

Brentford had a fantastic run with 5 wins from 6 games to pull themselves clear of relegation so hopefully they will have one eye on the beach by the time they come to Merseyside. With our home form looking considerably better than our away form, this is a must win game if we're to avoid relegation and I reckon we'll do it. Definite 3 points from this one.

Palace haven't been in the best of form since knocking us out the cup but they can still be a dangerous team. If Everton do manage to win our 2 previous games, another win here could potentially have us mathmatically safe before the final game of the seaon and it's for that reason I reckon we'll totally Everton this one. Probably go 1-0 up by half-time, totally dominate then throw it away for a 2-1 defeat to some late goals. No points here to set us up for a very nervous trip to London.

Arsenal are going to need points to secure European football so this will be no easy game. Whatever we need to get out of this game, even if we put in a performance, I can't see us ending the season with anything other than a defeat.

So based on those predictions, Everton will end the season on 38 points leaving Burnley needing 4 points from 4 games to stay above us on goal difference and Leeds needing 5 points as they have by far the worst goal difference. I'm not even going to try predicting what Leeds and Burnley will actually do though.

Here's Buzz's current outlook for our relegation dogfight.

Leicester are on a 5 game run without a win with only 4 goals in 5 games so now is a good time to play them. If we can show the kind of fight we've shown in some recent games then who knows. But we're away from home and our away form is abysmal so I'd predict an awful defeat but would happily take a draw. Let's assume no points from this one.

Watford have the worst home record in the league with just 2 wins and a draw from 17 games and only 16 goals scored. If there is an away game we can get points from it has to be this one. Watford gave us a freak 5-2 defeat at Goodison and we need to be looking to exact revenge on them. I can see us putting in a better away performace for this one and coming away with all 3 points.

Brentford had a fantastic run with 5 wins from 6 games to pull themselves clear of relegation so hopefully they will have one eye on the beach by the time they come to Merseyside. With our home form looking considerably better than our away form, this is a must win game if we're to avoid relegation and I reckon we'll do it. Definite 3 points from this one.

Palace haven't been in the best of form since knocking us out the cup but they can still be a dangerous team. If Everton do manage to win our 2 previous games, another win here could potentially have us mathmatically safe before the final game of the seaon and it's for that reason I reckon we'll totally Everton this one. Probably go 1-0 up by half-time, totally dominate then throw it away for a 2-1 defeat to some late goals. No points here to set us up for a very nervous trip to London.

Arsenal are going to need points to secure European football so this will be no easy game. Whatever we need to get out of this game, even if we put in a performance, I can't see us ending the season with anything other than a defeat.

So based on those predictions, Everton will end the season on 38 points leaving Burnley needing 4 points from 4 games to stay above us on goal difference and Leeds needing 5 points as they have by far the worst goal difference. I'm not even going to try predicting what Leeds and Burnley will actually do though.
I don't think 6 points will be enough. I want to see us get at least 8 and hopefully 9. I'd take a point on Sunday but getting all 3 would set us up very nicely for the following games. I hope it doesn't come down to the last game but it's very possible that it will. In that case we will not have accumulated the points we need. Even if a draw was sufficient on the final day, I wouldn't bet on us getting it. We have to be safe by then.

40 is the magic number... Leeds will be fighting for their life as well... They could get 6 points.. hence why we need to finish on 40 with them, that would mean staying up via goal difference, which is a sad place to be in however I'd take that all day long. Get ready for a rocky road ahead.

as they say it's the hope that kills you.... COYB

I think when you get to this point there's just too many variables to be able to make a prediction with any sort of conviction. It's not unthinkable that we get 10 points from our remaining games, but nor is it unthinkable that we get 2. By the same token I wouldn't be shocked if Leeds got another 9 points or if they got 0. Part of it is that momentum obviously shifts depending on the results of any given round of games. At the moment I feel reasonably confident that we'll get a minimum of 4 points from the 2 home games, but if we're going in to them having lost to both Leicester and Watford i'll probably feel differently. Same applies to the others, at the moment Burnley are in form but if they were to lose on Saturday then you'd probably expect them to lose away at Spurs, then all of a sudden they probably look like favourites to go down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.