Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves is an absolute must win. With City away being the game after, even a draw is a terrible result. We risk being on about 15 points, 17 games in. The usual panic firing will happen then, with no plan in place. Just like last year when we failed to pull clear of the pack until the very end, we are relying on 3 worst teams. Rinse and repeat..

You want the current manager replaced and yet another successor appointed by the very same people who clearly are incapable of making Everton a successful football club.

The protests should never have stopped against this board and owner. “Just get behind the team and stay positive” is a load of my arse, it’s letting these crooks off the hook.

Said we'd stay up last season and still think we will this season too - I think (hope) we see an improvement after the world cup. However, I'more concerned this time around with half the season left than I was last year with 6 games to go. We need to not just do business in January but it needs to be the right business, which is the thing we're absolutely worst at.

That means we won’t do it. We will do the most nonsensical thing possible because that’s the way our club is run. We won’t even start looking at potential replacements until he’s sacked, we will have Baines in charge with Coleman as his assistant for 6 weeks.
Yep you can guarantee they haven't even got a short list of replacement managers.

You want the current manager replaced and yet another successor appointed by the very same people who clearly are incapable of making Everton a successful football club.
You say this but they had to find a manager everyone could get behind, they did, they had to find a manager to prevent us going down, they did, they got his appointment right.
Problem is what is going on now, if its wrong now they have too look again.

Said we'd stay up last season and still think we will this season too - I think (hope) we see an improvement after the world cup. However, I'more concerned this time around with half the season left than I was last year with 6 games to go. We need to not just do business in January but it needs to be the right business, which is the thing we're absolutely worst at.
Therein lies the huge problem and the reason for me why Frank isn't the man for it.

He had all summer to tell the board and Thelwell that he needed a Richarlison replacement. Indeed he was given all of the Richarlison money to get in what was needed - some creativity in midfield and a suitable replacement. What did he end up doing? Firstly spending a good chunk of it on some genuinely crap Burnley winger who doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough, then waited until after the season start to bring in a bench player from Brighton who couldn't be any more different to Richarlison.

And as much as I think Onana may proven to be a good player in the future, if funds are tight and you desperately need goals in the team to avoid relegation, then why on earth would you go and spend £30m on him? It just defies all logic.

It just wasn't anywhere near good enough from Lampard or the club as a whole. Like I've said a million times here already, these players were not hoisted onto Lampard against his will. There were and are plenty of strikers out there, yet Lampard didn't think it was our number one priority to bring some goals into the team - just sheer and utter madness.

Let's also not forget that Lampard was seemingly the one who brought Dele Alli here, again a sign that he isn't a man who can pick out a player.

That's the reason, actually the only reason, why we'll be in the relegation spots by the new year and why I do not trust him one bit to guide us out of this.

Last edited:
You say this but they had to find a manager everyone could get behind, they did, they had to find a manager to prevent us going down, they did, they got his appointment right.
Problem is what is going on now, if its wrong now they have too look again.
I think we could have had a lot less stress last season with a manager more equipped for a relegation fight.

Therein lies the huge problem and the reason for me why Frank isn't the man for it.

He had all summer to tell the board and Thelwell that he needed a Richarlison replacement. Indeed he was given all of the Richarlison money to get in what was needed - some creativity in midfield and a suitable replacement. What did he end up doing? Firstly spending a good chunk of it on some genuinely crap Burnley winger who doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough, then waited until after the season start to bring in a bench player from Brighton who couldn't be any more different to Richarlison.

And as much as I think Onana may proven to be a good player in the future, if funds are tight and you desperately need goals in the team to avoid relegation, then why on earth would you go and spend £30m on him? It just defies all logic.

It just wasn't anywhere near good enough from Lampard or the club as a whole. Like I've said a million times here already, these players were not hoisted onto Lampard against his will. There were and are plenty of strikers out there, yet Lampard didn't think it was our number one priority to bring some goals into the team - just sheer and utter madness.

Let's also not forget that Lampard was seemingly the one who brought Dele Alli here, again a sign that he isn't a man who can pick out a player.

That's the reason, actually the only reason, why we'll be in the relegation spots by the new year and why I do not trust him one bit to guide us out of this.
So you say he needed to tell thelwell and the board implying that they are the ones who make the signings.

Then go on to place all the blame on him for not making signings he needed. Which is it?

Also, blaming him for Alli is a bit harsh considering Lampard only joined us that day, and by the complexities of the deal, there's not a chance that was only done in the final hours.

So you say he needed to tell thelwell and the board implying that they are the ones who make the signings. (Which is Thelwells job)

Then go on to place all the blame on him for not making signings he needed. Which is it? Thelwell makes the signings, or lampard.

Also, blaming him for Alli is a bit harsh considering Lampard only joined us that day, and by the complexities of the deal, there's not a chance that was only done in the final hours.
Thelwell doesn't make the signings. Thelwell will sign players that Lampard agrees with, and obviously to a budget set out by the board. So it's a combined effort. Thelwell might well identify a player and go to Lampard and offer his opinion and where he'd likely fit into the squad, but if Lampard disagrees then there is no way at all that the player would be brought in. That tells me without doubt quite a few things:
  • Thelwell was unable to identify a striker for three months despite selling our best player
  • Thelwell's best suggestion for a dynamic winger was McNeil, and Lampard agreed to bring him in
  • Lampard was happy to have bringing in a striker at the bottom end of our list of priorities, hence the club waiting until after the start of the season to bring in Maupay, who Lampard obviously on board with signing
  • The pair of them are utterly clueless and won't lead us out of this danger we're in
Regarding Alli, I am quite confident (without evidence of course) that there will have been discussions between him and Lampard prior to Frank being announced as our manager. I don't think the deal was complex; Spurs desperately wanted to get rid and we needed an extra attacking body.

Thelwell doesn't make the signings. Thelwell will sign players that Lampard agrees with, and obviously to a budget set out by the board. So it's a combined effort. Thelwell might well identify a player and go to Lampard and offer his opinion and where he'd likely fit into the squad, but if Lampard disagrees then there is no way at all that the player would be brought in. That tells me without doubt quite a few things:
  • Thelwell was unable to identify a striker for three months despite selling our best player
  • Thelwell's best suggestion for a dynamic winger was McNeil, and Lampard agreed to bring him in
  • Lampard was happy to have bringing in a striker at the bottom end of our list of priorities, hence the club waiting until after the start of the season to bring in Maupay, who Lampard obviously on board with signing
  • The pair of them are utterly clueless and won't lead us out of this danger we're in
I mean, maupay was likely at the bottom of our options, which is why it was late. And we were in desperate need for a striker. But that would indicate to me that all our other targets, we got rejected for. That's hardly Lampards fault.

McNeil is a young lad. Same as Gordon. He is a prospect, far from the finished article. It was evident we were after the creativity by the fact we pushed hard for Kudus. Which again, came down to the selling club.

We can't just say we want a player and they magically appear for us. We have to make deals to get them, and as with mcneil and onana, we have had to structure deals because we don't have cash up front.

Twenty three games left. Nine of which we face a top 7 side. Most away.
Can’t see us getting anything in these games. That leaves us with 14 games left. Looking at the table we probably need to win 7-8 of these remaining 14.
Considering we have only won 3 out of 15 so far this seems unlikely.
We are in real trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.