2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t bother me either way. Another manager will come in, and if he starts his team sheet with Coleman Keane, we’ll lose lots of games still.

I will always maintain that he had a hideous run of luck with players missing, if the core team had stayed injury free through till Christmas then this could have been a very different situation. However he seems to have suffered a breakdown of sorts, playing Coleman as a left back, consistantly playing Rondon when he had offered nothing and playing 2 in midfield when clearly we were not up to it just made it impossible for him to stay.

Whether he had lost the dressing room early on and that meant Mina etc. did not want to play for him and thus played up injuries I guess we'll never know.

On a human level, watching this, I feel bad for the man. He's clearly had a phone call before this presser to tell him he's done at the club and he's just being professional going ahead with it. You can see it in his face when he talks about the future as if he's still going to be here. But it's the right call to sack him even if the dressing room is a mess

I wish I got a multi million dollar severance package for being poor at my job.

I don't "feel for him", though I certainly don't wish him ill will. Man just was awful at his job, he'll be fine crying into his millions I'm sure.

Now if he was kicked out onto the street, homeless with no job/money? I'd be rightfully upset for him. But that ain't the case at all, not even close.

It was an absolutely disgraceful appointment from the very start, with our Lifetime Chairman and Super Blue, Bill Kenwright, seemingly giving his approval. It was always going to end in embarrassment and humiliation. Will the next manager be given money to fend off relegation? As others have said, if he's forced to play the likes of Keane, Coleman and Rondon on a regular basis then hardly anything will change and we'll still likely have a 50/50 chance of going down.

Just looking back objectively now at his time here, based on facts of what’s happened:

- came in, insisted he’d done a full squad audit and knew what Everton fans wanted, talked a lot about running and effort
- definitely improved the fitness of the side
- brought in Gray which is an excellent signing for that price. Townsend on a free is very meh and he’s a Benitez player - he’ll be useful for whoever else comes in because he’s always committed. Begovic is what he is, Lonergan for training needs
- did well first few games in terms of results, team looked fitter but wasn’t really organised bar the Brighton game. There seemed no real plan to how we played but the intensity was there at least
- poor deadline day, demanded we got Rondon and we got Rondon
- injuries hit, results start to tail off, matching the poor level of performance
- James Rodriguez left the club even though Everton couldn’t replace him
- Bit of a bounce around that United game, the last good display. I credit Benitez that day, looked like he had got something to build on even with limited options (DCL and Rich out), but Utd were awful
- Went very, very rubbish very quickly. He tried to replace Doucoure with Tom Davies. His insistence on only ever playing 2 in midfield became apparent. By the wolves game, it was clear he was stuck in a time football forgot
- worst derby home defeat in 40 years, fans protest, but try to be too clever and insist that it’s not the manager’s fault. This results in DoF going and the manager gets more power
- half-decent performance v Arsenal, but relied on moment of magic and could easily have lost. Overshadows it by ditching Digne
- hapless v Palace, he changes it up after 20 mins and thinks Gomes can play second striker in his absurd 4411
- resilient display v Chelsea but very lucky to not have been 3-0 down by 20 mins in. Decides same formation must be used in every games
- completely loses his head over Digne, alienates one of the best players then inexplicably puts him on the bench v Brighton, even though he was never gonna bring him on. Seemingly gets annoyed by fans clapping Digne when he warms up, when Everton are 2-0 down at home after 15 mins
- Sells said player having already spent more than what we got for him on two very inexperienced players, one of whom is thrown straight into a struggling side
- leaves by suffering a defeat which leads Everton to become the only side to lose to all the newly promoted teams
- gets fat compo packaged club’s now a complete mess. No DoF, owner’s a lunatic, Bill’s crying and the fans hate each other and the players

Cheers Rafael. It’s some effort
We’re definitely in a worse position now than when he took over. I’d quite happily take mid table mediocrity now. But it’s a battle at the bottom for the foreseeable.

Just looking back objectively now at his time here, based on facts of what’s happened:

- came in, insisted he’d done a full squad audit and knew what Everton fans wanted, talked a lot about running and effort
- definitely improved the fitness of the side
- brought in Gray which is an excellent signing for that price. Townsend on a free is very meh and he’s a Benitez player - he’ll be useful for whoever else comes in because he’s always committed. Begovic is what he is, Lonergan for training needs
- did well first few games in terms of results, team looked fitter but wasn’t really organised bar the Brighton game. There seemed no real plan to how we played but the intensity was there at least
- poor deadline day, demanded we got Rondon and we got Rondon
- injuries hit, results start to tail off, matching the poor level of performance
- James Rodriguez left the club even though Everton couldn’t replace him
- Bit of a bounce around that United game, the last good display. I credit Benitez that day, looked like he had got something to build on even with limited options (DCL and Rich out), but Utd were awful
- Went very, very rubbish very quickly. He tried to replace Doucoure with Tom Davies. His insistence on only ever playing 2 in midfield became apparent. By the wolves game, it was clear he was stuck in a time football forgot
- worst derby home defeat in 40 years, fans protest, but try to be too clever and insist that it’s not the manager’s fault. This results in DoF going and the manager gets more power
- half-decent performance v Arsenal, but relied on moment of magic and could easily have lost. Overshadows it by ditching Digne
- hapless v Palace, he changes it up after 20 mins and thinks Gomes can play second striker in his absurd 4411
- resilient display v Chelsea but very lucky to not have been 3-0 down by 20 mins in. Decides same formation must be used in every games
- completely loses his head over Digne, alienates one of the best players then inexplicably puts him on the bench v Brighton, even though he was never gonna bring him on. Seemingly gets annoyed by fans clapping Digne when he warms up, when Everton are 2-0 down at home after 15 mins
- Sells said player having already spent more than what we got for him on two very inexperienced players, one of whom is thrown straight into a struggling side
- leaves by suffering a defeat which leads Everton to become the only side to lose to all the newly promoted teams
- gets fat compo packaged club’s now a complete mess. No DoF, owner’s a lunatic, Bill’s crying and the fans hate each other and the players

Cheers Rafael. It’s some effort

It turned very quickly, didn't it

I will always maintain that he had a hideous run of luck with players missing, if the core team had stayed injury free through till Christmas then this could have been a very different situation.
I largely agree.

However, the problem for me was how the “when players come back,” excuse was never retracted, to the point where really only Mina and DCL were out and we were still losing hand over fist.

If you can’t find a way to win with only a couple of players ought, it’s a bad sign.

He never cut his cloth to fit like Ancelotti did. He never made it work, just blamed injuries and individual mistakes.

I will always maintain that he had a hideous run of luck with players missing, if the core team had stayed injury free through till Christmas then this could have been a very different situation. However he seems to have suffered a breakdown of sorts, playing Coleman as a left back, consistantly playing Rondon when he had offered nothing and playing 2 in midfield when clearly we were not up to it just made it impossible for him to stay.

Whether he had lost the dressing room early on and that meant Mina etc. did not want to play for him and thus played up injuries I guess we'll never know.
It was always a very difficult job from the beginning, half of the fans were already up for his head from the beginning, and then those horrible run of injuries, and lack of available replacements, he tested multiple players , and they were as bad.
Norwich game is the only one since 5-6 months that whole squad was available..and it needs time to gel. It's DCL 2nd match , Richie came after a long gap, mina as well...and these three along with gray were our only better players...and all of them were out for majority of the season.
It's very easy to say why play keane, rondon, iwobi, coleman, mina , allan etc but they conviniently dont mention what were the available options ?
They say play 3 man mf, the fk that leaves you with Keane, coleman , Godfrey at the back? Just have a look at those defenders.
Then the board gave him 1.6 m to spend .
The main blame here lies here with the recruitment policy, the board of who appointed him at the first place having known majority of fans just hate him.
Any manager whom fans hate from the start will struggle as bad with this squad and horrible injuries.

1642316974686.png

Status
Not open for further replies.