2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, meanwhile he has just picked up a useless squad, that was badly managed and people suddenly expect him to turn them into a top side? No chance
They don't.

This same squad last season was in the top four in March.

Yeah, they were badly managed in the run-in, sure thing, but the revisionism has been astounding.

Were we a CL team last year? Absolutely not. But we were in the running for Europe until the very end.

Loads of people were chuffed to see James go, because we're a weird fanbase, and nobody is arsed about the man we can't speak about, so by that logic we've got a better squad than last season since we've added Townsend and Gray, and for his many, severe faults, a back-up striker.

So by that logic, we should be pushing for Europe until the very end this season, too?

Anyway
They don't.

Yeah, they were badly managed in the run-in, sure thing, but the revisionism has been astounding.

Were we a CL team last year? Absolutely not. But we were in the running for Europe until the very end.

Loads of people were chuffed to see James go, because we're a weird fanbase, and nobody is arsed about the man we can't speak about, so by that logic we've got a better squad than last season since we've added Townsend and Gray, and for his many, severe faults, a back-up striker.

So by that logic, we should be pushing for Europe until the very end this season, too?
We should be in the running for Europe but when you look at the squad and the injuries we are not good enough holes all through the squad. One injury in every department away from defeats. I will criticise RB but the issues with our squad run deep and have done for five or six managers.

Anyway

We should be in the running for Europe but when you look at the squad and the injuries we are not good enough holes all through the squad. One injury in every department away from defeats. I will criticise RB but the issues with our squad run deep and have done for five or six managers.

It's early in the season, I know.

My general point was, it's not people getting mad because we aren't suddenly Man City.

You don't need to be a 'top side' to not get beat 5-2 at home by Watford. You don't need to be a 'top side' to have more than 40% average possession across your first 9 league games, when you've only played one 'big six' team.

They don't.

We came 10th last season, you can pick and choose which month of the season you choose to recall all you like but the reality is last season was total rubbish and the managment was pathetic, the way Josh King was used being just one example. Peopl can revise last season as much as they like but the platform to build on just isnt there, neither is the squad.

No one can say we are not in the running for Europe now, we are but with our squad its unrealistic, weve just had a bad couple of games because the spine of our side is out

when are mina and gomes back?
Gomes tweeted sounded he was close to full training. We need him.

It's early in the season, I know.

My general point was, it's not people getting mad because we aren't suddenly Man City.

You don't need to be a 'top side' to not get beat 5-2 at home by Watford.
Oh agree it's totally unacceptable and players and manager should take the criticism.

We came 10th last season, you can pick and choose which month of the season you choose to recall all you like but the reality is last season was total rubbish and the managment was pathetic, the way Josh King was used being just one example. Peopl can revise last season as much as they like but the platform to build on just isnt there, neither is the squad.

No one can say we are not in the running for Europe now, we are but with our squad its unrealistic, weve just had a bad couple of games because the spine of our side is out
I was very vocal in my disappointment at the end of last season, because it tailed off so drastically. We went from 2nd at Xmas to finishing 10th and that was dreadful.

You're the one revising here, not me.

You made out like we needed to be a 'top side' not to get beat 5-2 by Watford at home?

I've never believed that managers have been worthy of as much positive credit or negative criticism they get. It largely comes down to the players.

However, poor selection, game plans, substitutions and apparent lack of ability to motivate become obvious if changes aren't made and Benitez deserves more time, but not a lot of time.

I be very surprised if Solskjaer survives this week, because even with a very strong squad he's clearly out of his depth. Benitez is nowhere near that level of incompetence, but must change things quickly.

Evertonians are going to have a bad Monday, but imagine what it's like for Man Utd supporters.

The issue in appointing Benitez is he was never going to get the time because of his past, if things went wrong.

We can take losing to an extent. We can take mistakes costing us the odd time etc.

But the footy has been generally durge, we're now crap in one of the only areas we were decent in last season, and our recruitment policy seems to have been players Benitez knew or had scouted himself which means the DoF is useless and the system isn't in place.

You can't be winning 1 game in 6 and not come under some form of criticism, no matter who you are. Everything is extenuated, maybe unfairly, with Benitez, but there'd be a bit more leeway if we were at least looking like a team that wasn't just trying to counter-attack and be unable to do anything else.
Agreed
Through stubborness & ignorance he got almost everything wrong yesterday.
Starting Rondon is a mistake he makes every week now , the guy is useless.
He persists with zonal marking yet it didnt need fixing in the 1st place.
Took off our most effective player in Gordon and put Iwobi on for Gray.
We where fortunate to be 2-1 up as Watford where walking through the midfield. Yet he persisted with the 4 4 2 when an extra body was needed in midfield.
These arent hard decisions for any manager to make , heck its what they get paid to do.
Ranieri took off his full back when Gordon went off and pushed his right hand side on. Benitez was flummoxed.

As you say the football has been dire apart from the odd 20 mins here & there even with a fully fit side.
But of course he will blame everything bar himself & has good form for it.

So yes he ( or any manager ) should not be above criticism.

I was very vocal in my disappointment at the end of last season, because it tailed off so drastically. We went from 2nd at Xmas to finishing 10th and that was dreadful.

You're the one revising here, not me.

You made out like we needed to be a 'top side' not to get beat 5-2 by Watford at home?
Trying to revise last season into anything other then a disaster is never going to work, Carlo was a shocking manager who set us back, no wonder King was up for putting us in our place yesterday

Agree 100% .... godfrey , davies and rondon as a spine is lge 1 standard I'm afraid.... replace them with mina , docoure and dcl and we win that game Saturday.... benitez game management was shocking but my oh my , brands has a lot to answer for , with half a bill spent , 3 injuries and we are basically a lge 1 team ....

Anyway

He was appointed end of June and had over 2 months to "assess " the squad and change it.
Ranieri has had about 10 days in his job getting bummed by Liverpool then guiding his new club to winning at Goodison for the 1st time ever ....5 bleedin 2 !!!
They have a way worse squad than we have including Ben Foster & Craig Cathcart....embarrasing mate.

Agree 100% .... godfrey , davies and rondon as a spine is lge 1 standard I'm afraid.... replace them with mina , docoure and dcl and we win that game Saturday.... benitez game management was shocking but my oh my , brands has a lot to answer for , with half a bill spent , 3 injuries and we are basically a lge 1 team ....
We should win that game without those players

we should definitely not lose it 5-2

I've never believed that managers have been worthy of as much positive credit or negative criticism they get. It largely comes down to the players.

However, poor selection, game plans, substitutions and apparent lack of ability to motivate become obvious if changes aren't made and Benitez deserves more time, but not a lot of time.

I be very surprised if Solskjaer survives this week, because even with a very strong squad he's clearly out of his depth. Benitez is nowhere near that level of incompetence, but must change things quickly.

Evertonians are going to have a bad Monday, but imagine what it's like for Man Utd supporters.
I don't give a flying fig about Untd.
So it's not much consolation to say "at least we're not...whoever."

We're not anybody or anything just now, except maybe a gutless shambles, a laughing stock etc.
I wouldn't even fancy our chances Vs Norwich right now...and if they do manage sometime down the track, to win a game, who would you say it would be against ??
Art imitating life - Even Ted Lasso beat us!

6pts thrown away - Home points...though we know theres no such thing, 2 so called "easy wins".

The strange thing is though I would fancy us to get a result at Wolves...probably in the manner of snatching a draw from the jaws of victory.

Managers have come and gone in short order
Players linger longer though, long enough for the slowly rotating collective to throw each one under the bus.
The long-term management is the big worry

Unless he says - sod this for a game of soldiers - the 3 months in, newly minted ( in 2 meanings of the phrase) Benitez, is going nowhere.
Mostly because of the main reason he got the job - there wasn't many candidates and nobody wanted it anyway.
Newcastle Are looking, Norwich and United probably soon will be.

A semi sensible rs told me - he's very stubborn and always thinks he's right
By God, he's going to have to be both right and stubborn to sort that lot out.

The next may not be true; Moshiri was last seen sat in a corner with his phone fruitlessly pound the 'Cash Out' button with his finger and theres even rumours he's been touting us around the Gulf in a bid to bail out.

Status
Not open for further replies.