2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's got me all season is the shouts he's made us more organised. We aren't more organised.

Well after today, only six teams have conceded more than us. All of them have come from inside our own area, so that shows we aren't keeping teams out of our box. It's not like we're keeping them at arms' length and Pickford is getting done from range.

Only Burnley and Newcastle are averaging less possession than us (40.86%), and only Burnley and Brentford have completed less passes than us. We just can't keep hold of the ball but it's like he hasn't even tried. It's like he's gone, 'no, we play this way', but then even in games when we haven't got the players who make that way work, he's done it.

And that's what we saw today. When we needed to just change shape and try and keep Watford at arms' length, he didn't react. I understand the caveats, I do, but you have to use what you have at your disposal. If he'd done that, if he'd made the right changes or the right tweaks, then you can at least say look, he's done all he can, the players aren't good enough. But today he didn't do that and our general level of performance has simply not been up to what I think it should be.

There's no way only Burnley and Newcastle should be having less of the ball than us, 9 games into the season when we've only played one 'big six' team.

Mina is our only CB who's good at zonal marking we get that - some want the manager to change his system to suit the likes of Michael Keane but I dont - I want him drill these players to LEARN how to play it and if they dont then they get moved on and the manager brings in players that can play it well to partner Mina.

Again this comes back to the argument of pandering to the players - the manager is the boss its his way and I back him 100% over these cowards.

This season was always transition as soon as reality hit of our budget being so constrained.

We were never getting europe with 1x RB, 1x LB and no replacements for Doucoure and Allan heck if Gray/Townie get injuries we'll struggle to replace them.

The fans need to start patience - I know thats difficult in the social media era but there is simply no quick fix with this squad, we've been here that many times mate sacking manager after manager we simply have to give this fella time and money.

Because if we don't I guarantee we'll be sat here arguing the same things and questioning some aspect of the next idiot stupid enough to take this job on.

You want the manager to persist with a set piece method that has conceded the same number of goals in 9 games than 38 games last year? You'd rather we change away from what worked brilliantly to something that is failing disastrously? You think we should persist with it even though it doesn't suit our personel?

You are properly tedious. Your agenda is bizarre.

What's got me all season is the shouts he's made us more organised. We aren't more organised.

Well after today, only six teams have conceded more than us. All of them have come from inside our own area, so that shows we aren't keeping teams out of our box. It's not like we're keeping them at arms' length and Pickford is getting done from range.

Only Burnley and Newcastle are averaging less possession than us (40.86%), and only Burnley and Brentford have completed less passes than us. We just can't keep hold of the ball but it's like he hasn't even tried. It's like he's gone, 'no, we play this way', but then even in games when we haven't got the players who make that way work, he's done it.

And that's what we saw today. When we needed to just change shape and try and keep Watford at arms' length, he didn't react. I understand the caveats, I do, but you have to use what you have at your disposal. If he'd done that, if he'd made the right changes or the right tweaks, then you can at least say look, he's done all he can, the players aren't good enough. But today he didn't do that and our general level of performance has simply not been up to what I think it should be.

There's no way only Burnley and Newcastle should be having less of the ball than us, 9 games into the season when we've only played one 'big six' team.

We are totally disorganised. Far worse defensively than last year.

Keane, Godfrey, Digne etc have to take their fair share of the responsibility for that of course. These are senior players making constant routine mistakes. If you don't want to win headers then you shouldn't be playing at this level.

You want the manager to persist with a set piece method that has conceded the same number of goals in 9 games than 38 games last year? You'd rather we change away from what worked brilliantly to something that is failing disastrously? You think we should persist with it even though it doesn't suit our personel?

He’s gone completely off the deep

It's not that it's even zonal. Ancelotti (or his son, whoever) used zonal to an extent too.

But Benitez's system has a line of players near the pen spot then a line in the six-yard box. It has our shortest players at the near post, so they're useless, and our two CBs in the middle to act as the 'zonal' markers. Yet neither Keane, and definitely not Holgate, react to the danger quickly enough. And we've seen the issue even with Mina there because he can't defend every single ball into the box.

It was the one thing that really, really worked last season for us and Benitez ripped it up. Like you said, arrogance.

It's not that it's even zonal. Ancelotti (or his son, whoever) used zonal to an extent too.

But Benitez's system has a line of players near the pen spot then a line in the six-yard box. It has our shortest players at the near post, so they're useless, and our two CBs in the middle to act as the 'zonal' markers. Yet neither Keane, and definitely not Holgate, react to the danger quickly enough. And we've seen the issue even with Mina there because he can't defend every single ball into the box.

It was the one thing that really, really worked last season for us and Benitez ripped it up. Like you said, arrogance.

DCL was crucial to it early in the season as well. He is brilliant at defensive headers.

Now we have no presence whatsoever and no accountability either with this system.

Was a bit later but we started to pick up injuries around this time last, Ancelotti was able to cobble us together to a degree and make us hard the beat with the defensive wall.

This manager has struggled so far to adjust, to come up with something to compensate for the injuries.

Is it me or do we seem to have an incredible amount of players getting injured in training or else they are playing on in games injured, our injuries don’t seem to be a one week or two week muscle strains but almost, six weeks out at a go.

'Good pro'

That's it. A good pro. That's what he is.

he's hung around in mid-table teams all of his career since leaving Spurs and he's come to another one
He still showed more ability than what we already have to pick him out was harsh imo, sigassun cost 45mil he's done more this season than he ever did come on a free yes a free. Average maybe but still better than the average we had already imo

Was a bit later but we started to pick up injuries around this time last, Ancelotti was able to cobble us together to a degree and make us hard the beat with the defensive wall.

This manager has struggled so far to adjust, to come up with something to compensate for the injuries.

Is it me or do we seem to have an incredible amount of players getting injured in training or else they are playing on in games injured, our injuries don’t seem to be a one week or two week muscle strains but almost, six weeks out at a go.
With 15 mins to go and 2-1 up against Watford we should be able to see it out regardless of injuries we just needed sensible subs Surely ?
I agree the level of injuries is ridiculous

Tbf the injuries are nothing new. Our medical department is crap and that's why he's got somebody else in this last week. It needs sorting because they are useless.

The training intensity has been upped, definitely. Now, I think that's good as the squad look fitter. However, we've seen that it has also had an adverse impact in some cases but again that is down to the medical department. The rehab and player care simply is not up to scratch, so there's a more intense training regime, without the care to go alongside it. Hopefully that changes now Fernandez is in.

I'm just much more worried that they can hardly string any passes together.

I don't mean to single out one particular tweet, but this is the sort of view I don't understand. When we won it was all about how great Benitez is. When we lose it's nothing to do with him and even the CEO gets some of the blame. The media narrative is just a load of nonsense. Benitez managed the end of the game today like a kid on championship manager so he deserves criticism. Every decision he made was irrational and gave Watford more initiative. Surely if he was such an elite manager then he wouldn't get thrashed 5 at home to Watford. The media are trying to have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.