2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can support the manager when he does things that I think are good and in parts I think we have this season. There's been some flashes and he's given players like Doucoure and Gray a real boost.

But then on the other hand, we've had a world class player leave and replaced him with Andros Townsend, who has been good and always works hard but it's just levels, isn't it. It's mediocrity.

And then the style of play, in general, is just abysmal, utterly woeful, and it has been - and I've been consistent on this - for the majority of the games this season. Yes we've had burst of 5, 10 minutes and good away performances. But it's so drab, we don't know how to build a move with any patience or skill, it's just giving it to Gray or Townsend or hoping for a counter-attack. Our set-pieces at both ends have been crap all season, yet it's the same players that were good at them last year?

He's clearly tried to improve the fitness and has done, but that's come at a cost because our medical department is tosh, so he's tried to address that now. I back him with that, because clearly he's spotted the issues. He's not to blame for previous recruitment issues.

But as a manager, I just don't think he's good anymore. He wasn't great at Newcastle, far from it. His stats are actually very, very similar to what Bruce's were. He's idolised there but they were crap. He then went to China, for a 'project' that happened to pay him ££££££££. He'd all but given up.

Now, I think he's hungry to succeed, I think he does generally know what the fans want to see at Everton and yes he needs time to get it right. But the issue with such a divisive appointment was always going to be if something like this happened, and how quickly it'd turn. And his buddies in the media are already getting the knives out for anybody who dares question his tactics.

I agree with most of this. Don't agree James is world class though, but we've been over that lol

The set pieces are a big issue for me. He's changed the method away from something that was working. That is arrogance I don't like it.

Anyone who thinks the manager can't be questioned after that debacle is barely worth responding to. I don't care what the media say. None of us want to see our club embarrassed like that and the manager has to take responsibility.

I know he will get time to try and improve things, but I think we are simply delaying the inevitable. This is never going to work and he should be questioned when he manages the last quarter of the game like a 14 year old on football manager. There shouldn't be any patience at this club. There should be the complete opposite, a complete desperation to improve. Patience and stability are thrown around in football but they are meaningless words if the path you are on is the wrong one. Anyone who thinks we are on the right path is beyond deluded.

We had a world class player? Really? Who was that?
You know who. But I'm not saying he sorts us out, he wouldn't, far from it, and didn't want to be here.

I'm just looking at it objectively, we've got a lot of very mediocre players with probably 4 of real, definite quality. Three of them aren't fit atm and one has only just returned.

But, a lot of teams have crap players. Watford have one player who'd stand a chance of getting in a top-half side and that's Sarr. Other than that, nobody.

We don't have any semblance of control in games. Whether that's off the ball or on the ball. But some people just got obsessed with footy being all about running about and effort. It isn't about that.

I agree with most of this. Don't agree James is world class though, but we've been over that lol

The set pieces are a big issue for me. He's changed the method away from something that was working. That is arrogance I don't like it.

Anyone who thinks the manager can't be questioned after that debacle is barely worth responding to. I don't care what the media say. None of us want to see our club embarrassed like that and the manager has to take responsibility.

I know he will get time to try and improve things, but I think we are simply delaying the inevitable. This is never going to work and he should be questioned when he manages the last quarter of the game like a 14 year old on football manager. There shouldn't be any patience at this club. There should be the complete opposite, a complete desperation to improve. Patience and stability are thrown around in football but they are meaningless words if the path you are on is the wrong one. Anyone who thinks we are on the right path is beyond deluded.

Yeah, was more the general point. A very good player, replaced with a player who I like in Townsend, but is a bang average, run of the mill PL player who every so often crops up with an outstanding shot. And look, I am happy with him, he's been good, but nobody would have been happy with him being our starting winger coming into the season yet he's probably one of the first two names on the teamsheet.

Fully agree on the set-pieces, and the signs have been there all season. We should have conceded twice v Huddersfield from them, and only didn't due to a bad linesman. But we're also really bad in general at defending crosses into the box, even with Mina there it can be haphazard because he can't get everywhere can he. We don't stop the crosses, we aren't aggressive to do that and then our defenders in the box, bar Mina, don't switch on. That has to be worked on yet the same issues have been there all season, and we're two months in. Yes, we've had injury issues, but relatively in defence we haven't, until this Mina niggle. So why hasn't that being worked on?

To be fair he never had a honeymoon period due to his RS connection plus the complete failure to sign players not his fault but he started well but honestly we never really played anyone apart from Man United so an Everton team should be winning or picking up points.

West Ham and Watford was very much the same game. Away team given more of the ball then they should have and zonal marking is killing us..

Carlo would've seen that our midfield was overrun and after we took the lead, he would have adjusted but that is twice now, once against Villa and now Watford, that he was unable to address blindingly obvious problems.

You can argue he has injuries or doesn't have the players but honestly sticking in Holgate infront or next to the defence, shores up that danger especially when Digne and Allan both had yellow cards.

The Rondon experiment is over. He has played 6 games, gained no match fitness and is frankly so out of touch of what is needed to start in the Premier League it's unbelievable. Even if we have no DCL, Richarlison, Simms or Dobbin, he doesn't deserve to start because for the last 6 games, we have played with 10 men.

Zonal marking will be the end of him if he doesn't address this by the next game just as Martinez, Koeman, Silva found out. It doesn't work for us, Carlo found this out and fixed it for large parts of last season. This needs addressing first day back into training.

He said the club doesn't match the levels the fans and club required and today was a catalyst for making the changes. It was a complete representation of our team and board at the minute, just top to bottom not good enough.

I am not a fan of Benitez but I am not calling for his head because again we have a large group of players who have been around since the start of Moshiri's reign who just hide and run away from challenges and they keep getting away with the same shïte over and over so it might be time to just cut and run on these players and use youth to fill in the gaps between now and January.

Yeah, was more the general point. A very good player, replaced with a player who I like in Townsend, but is a bang average, run of the mill PL player who every so often crops up with an outstanding shot. And look, I am happy with him, he's been good, but nobody would have been happy with him being our starting winger coming into the season yet he's probably one of the first two names on the teamsheet.

Fully agree on the set-pieces, and the signs have been there all season. We should have conceded twice v Huddersfield from them, and only didn't due to a bad linesman. But we're also really bad in general at defending crosses into the box, even with Mina there it can be haphazard because he can't get everywhere can he. We don't stop the crosses, we aren't aggressive to do that and then our defenders in the box, bar Mina, don't switch on. That has to be worked on yet the same issues have been there all season, and we're two months in. Yes, we've had injury issues, but relatively in defence we haven't, until this Mina niggle. So why hasn't that being worked on?

Benitez sides have always been rubbish on set plays. He is too stubborn to accept his methods are inept and to make changes.

He also definitely plans his subs in advance. I'm convinced it's all premeditated because none of it makes sense in the game. Then to have a go at Gordon for not having 90 minutes in him was bang out of order. Just a typical Benitez remark to defend his own illogical decisions during the game. I just can't get my head around how we've ended up here. I want us to win obviously but I'm embarassed to follow this club at the minute. The board don't get what it's like to have the hope and optimism beaten out of you year in year out. If they understood then they would make better decisions.

Yes he gave away the corner, he was crap.

Why are we so bad at defending set-pieces this season, mate? We've conceded a league-high six goals from them. This same set of players conceded seven across the entirety of last season,

We love giving corners and free-kicks away, because our players are all bad at defending. All of them, bar Mina, are abysmal defenders, and always have been. They don't read danger.

But, atm, we give away a corner and it's basically giving the opposition a goal. That's what it was like under Silva and Martinez. How is it so bad?

Mina is our only CB who's good at zonal marking we get that - some want the manager to change his system to suit the likes of Michael Keane but I dont - I want him drill these players to LEARN how to play it and if they dont then they get moved on and the manager brings in players that can play it well to partner Mina.

Again this comes back to the argument of pandering to the players - the manager is the boss its his way and I back him 100% over these cowards.

This season was always transition as soon as reality hit of our budget being so constrained.

We were never getting europe with 1x RB, 1x LB and no replacements for Doucoure and Allan heck if Gray/Townie get injuries we'll struggle to replace them.

The fans need to start patience - I know thats difficult in the social media era but there is simply no quick fix with this squad, we've been here that many times mate sacking manager after manager we simply have to give this fella time and money.

Because if we don't I guarantee we'll be sat here arguing the same things and questioning some aspect of the next idiot stupid enough to take this job on.

I liked Duncan as a player, but he has been the one constant apart from a couple of players who has overseen the mediocrity of the last lot of seasons. What is his role? Is he vocal? Or is he sitting back and waiting for his chance to manage?

For example, is he not saying to RB, 'I think it's time to bench rondon boss, he's just not up to it at the minute'. .....If not, why not?

I'd love to know what his input is and exactly how accountable he is in all of this.

Bit harsh on Townsend imo good pro imo

I liked Duncan as a player, but he has been the one constant apart from a couple of players who has overseen the mediocrity of the last lot of seasons. What is his role? Is he vocal? Or is he sitting back and waiting for his chance to manage?

For example, is he not saying to RB, 'I think it's time to bench rondon boss, he's just not up to it at the minute'. .....If not, why not?

I'd love to know what his input is and exactly how accountable he is in all of this.

He can barely string a sentence together. He lays out cones.

You're a very poor @nsno-chris wannabe

At least be your own man / have your own style - you had something somewhat original with the thumbs up but have regressed to dropping your knickers for likes off the boys.

And im spot on there Dyche twice the manager Potter is - taking Burnley into Europe on a budget 1/4 of Brightons is testament to that.
Oh my interloping non mate, why do you want Everton to be relegated? ?

Do you still want to see your hero Benitez take Everton down?

1635027788817.png

As you did Silva a few months after you floated up the bowl - yuk!

1635027590466.png

Why do you always want the worst for Everton? Why? :(

1635028213559.png

Status
Not open for further replies.